Trouble with tree IV for EAB

SRS

Hey, wondering if anyone has any experience with the arborjet tree IV for treating EAB and getting the tree to uptake quickly? New to this system, but in nearly ideal conditions with my plugs set properly (no leaks), I'm still waiting hours for the treatment to be complete. Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this?

ATH

Are the plugs set too deep?

What psi are you using?

Are you using regular TREE-age or the G4? (G4 goes in a LOT quicker...not sure why they even still make the old)

I'm assuming the trees are in full leaf? We aren't quite there yet up here. That makes a big difference.

Is there good moisture in the ground?

Is it sunny?

Are you doing it early in the morning? (I usually plan to shut things down by noon/1:00).

How hot is it? I talked to family in the NC mountains yesterday that said it was in the high 90s... I wouldn't think that would slow things down (should speed it up), but I haven't done it that hot.

Are you using a sharp/new drill bit? Don't let it spin out in the hole...just in and quickly back out.

How much product are you using (ml/inch of dbh?) and how many holes are you drilling?

Lots of variables...

Even when all is perfect, it seems like maybe 15-20% of the individual holes just don't take anything in. I have found that very rarely, there will be one tree that isn't behaving well like the rest I am doing at the same time.

SRS

Hey, thanks for the response! Plugs seem to be at the appropriate depth (set just behind the bark). 35-40psi, using the G4 formulation. It's sunny, tree is leafed out, definitely getting hot early, but not so hot that I think that's a concern. Ground moisture is good as far as I can tell (recent rain, but not a ton). I'm treating in the morning. Sharp/new drill bit, trying to be quick drilling the hole/not spin it in there. Using the middle dosage range from the label. For a tree with 19"DBH, using 8 sites (which is all the equipment we have right now). My understanding is that a tree that size should be taking no more than a half hour on average? I've only done a couple with this system so far, and both times it has taken hours. I'm just not sure what else to do to make this a quicker/more practical process.

In terms of placement of the holes, have you had more luck actually on the roots/root flare, or farther up? A woman Arborjet told me to drill a couple feet up on the trunk, while an arborist I used to work with suggests on the roots themselves if possible.

ATH

Plugs in root flares...out on the flare, not between the flares.

I was using 10ml/in on trees over 15" dbh but at ArborJets recommendation I'm doing 5ml per inch on all trees. That certainly makes a difference.

Sounds like you are doing it right. Maybe you just got 2 dogs to start? You are right..no more than 30 minutes. Usually much less with G4.

Keep us posted how others go or if you figure out what is wrong.

Just to double check...run water through the system and make sure they are squirting a nice even stream

JD3000

G4 is better but still pretty slow sometimes. Can make for a boring day. Have a phone charger with you.

SRS

Thanks, y'all! Much appreciated feedback. Going to try another one this morning, we'll see how it goes.

ATH

Thanks, y'all! Much appreciated feedback. Going to try another one this morning, we'll see how it goes.
How'd it go?

I just did some yesterday. First 2 in the morning (an hour away from home) went GREAT. Had a couple of others stops to make in that town, then about half an hour away (half way home) to treat a few more. It was getting late (noon) to start new trees, but we have good soil moisture, sunny day, and I figured even slow uptake saving me an hour of driving back and forth is probably worth it.

1st tree was a 15" DBH fully exposed, big beautiful, full crown. Took almost an hour. Not looking good. Next 2 on the same property were 15" and 13". I figured I'd try one more before having to come back. Those 2 took 30 minutes TOTAL for both including set up and tear down. Smaller canopies/growing into each other, so not as much wind (wasn't any that day) or sunlight exposure. Then closer to home to do 1 more 24" - pushing my luck starting at 2:30. That one took about 30-40 minutes.

Point?: Hard to know what you are going to get. Why did that 1 tree go so slow through all of the holes? Some times you get one slow hole...but all of these were.

SRS

Missed this earlier somehow. It's definitely going better now. I think I just hit a couple duds right off the bat and maybe got better at some of the tiny details that make the IV work quickly. Uptake time is typically 5-15 minutes now, sometimes 30 or 40 minutes without much warning though. Definitely a little bit hard to predict and seemingly random.

Reactions: ATH