Trip to North Dakota

colb

So, I don't travel much, and I'm visiting family here in Williston, North Dakota. I'm seeing trees that are the same, but different as compared to those I would encounter in Florida. I thought I'd mention what seems to be the Florida equivalent and you guys can school me up on what it actually is - if it entertains you.

My closest tree to this one, in Florida, might be a river birch. This is the most attractive tree I've seen, thus far.

Attachments

colb

Colb,

Are you driving or flying?

If you're driving back through Twin Cities get hold of me...I'll show you more trees...or a cold beer!
I'm flying out of rapid city this Sunday, else I'd definitely be up for that. Thanks for offering!

Some of what @Frax is saying in another thread is ringing true, about the decreased value and larger stature of southern trees compared to the ones I'm seeing out here in the northern Midwest. Feeling like I could survey all trees in this city in a couple days, and most of them, where work is needed, would at least temp a homeowner with a ladder, lol.

This one is obviously a maple of some sort:

Attachments

colb

Thanks, @mrtree. I'm noting that, as is typical where I'm living, several of these trees look great and are also invasive. My closest tree to this might be a Japanese maple. I really only have contact with them, red maples, and box elders in North florida.

colb

Any takers on this one? Sort of a plum-like Roseaceae...

Anyone care to educate me on why the bark on these northern trees is usually deeply grooved, and generally more dramatic than our trees of North Florida?

Attachments

Levi.CO

Any takers on this one? Sort of a plum-like Roseaceae...

Anyone care to educate me on why the bark on these northern trees is usually deeply grooved, and generally more dramatic than our trees of North Florida?
That looks like some type of crab apple to me...

colb

Hey @Tom Dunlap @Levi.CO @mrtree @LimbLoppa . Thanks for the assist during my trip. On the last day I hooked up for a 30 minute tour of Williston's coolest trees with a local bookstore owner with an unused hort degree. Wow. Feel like I could start commuting up there for a few weeks each summer to work. There was one tree company in town, based out of South Dakota. Typical production setup (nothing against that), so I feel like I could move in and make some money with an arbor trolley and my brothers's f150/flatbed trailer rig.

Thanks again..

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
What a connection. A local tree nerd

If you do decide to go mobile be sure to as your liability insurance company if you're covered when you work away from home base. There might be restrictions and it would be a hcomof a note to find out hat you're not covered after an accident

colb

What a connection. A local tree nerd

If you do decide to go mobile be sure to as your liability insurance company if you're covered when you work away from home base. There might be restrictions and it would be a hcomof a note to find out hat you're not covered after an accident
You're absolutely right. I'm only GL/PL/PL covered in Florida right now, and my auto coverage limits most of my work to a 100 mile radius. Have you seen a thread on mobile work, e.g. for southeastern regional storm damage in my case?