TreeBuzz Forum - Editor issues on Android - How to Fix it

Howie65

The problem described hereafter exists only if you are using the Android-Standard-Browser to access this Forum. If you are using an alternative application then you are not affected. Examples for alternative applications are Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Tapatalk.

Problem description

As some members have noted, there is a problem with Standard-Browser on Android. During the writing of a new post or a reply everything works fine as long as you keep typing at the end of your text. But if the text is scrolled up then it can happen that the last line(s) of your text become unreachable. If this happens for you then press "Save Draft" (the disk icon above the text box) to secure your inputs and follow the "Solution" part.​

Solution
On Android use an alternative application instead of the Standard-Browser to access the TreeBuzz Forum (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Tapatalk, etc.).​

Last edited:

TimBr

Hey, Howie65! Thanks so much for going to all of this trouble to help out trying to find a solution to a problem that other members of this forum might have, but that probably never affected you personally in the first place. The idea of copying an entire post to the "clipboard" prior to launching an alternative browser in order to save the contents of a post just had not occurred to me. That is a nice idea that will help folks out, hopefully, if they've already spent a ton of time writing up a post and do not wish to lose it.

Also, I think you are the one who proposed putting this issue and its solution into the "Support and Announcements" section, and making it permanent, in order to help members out in the future that encounter this same issue. So congratulations on that score. (Thanks also to the moderators who were so willing to help with this issue. It is greatly appreciated.)

To this point I still have not attempted to download the Google "Chrome" web browser. I had it in the back of my mind that in the past I'd avoided using the Google Play marketplace for applications for some reason, but could not remember what that reason was. When I recently attempted to go there to try to download "Chrome", I rediscovered what it was that stopped me from using Google Play the last time around. It was because of the fact that they impose a requirement that I give them a credit card number, even though "Chrome" is a "free" program. This is also in spite of the fact that I needed a username and password from Google just to get into the marketplace in the first place. I guess I found this offputting the first time around, as well as the second time. I'll probably get over my objection to this at some time in the future when I feel like actually buying a program from their marketplace of applications, but for now I'm holding off.

In the past, when I ran into this issue, it occurred to me that I was an Amazon Prime member, and already had a username and password for the Amazon website. So I found a free downloadable application for the Amazon "App Store". I installed the application onto my Samsung Player 5.0 handheld computer, and then went searching for programs I might find useful.

During this early exploration, I found the web browser "Opera Mobile", version 12.1.3. THIS IS THE BROWSER I'M USING TO WRITE THIS LONG-WINDED POST. Sorry for shouting, I just wanted to foot-stomp the fact that I'm currently not using the browser built into my Samsung machine.

For the record, I have repeatedly left the end of my post, scrolled up, moved the cursor to make changes to the early part of my post, and returned the cursor back to the bottom of my post.

In other words, Opera Mobile is also an option that works to get around the glitch that exists with the built-in browser that comes with the Samsung Player that I own, and maybe others do also.

It would be interesting to hear from folks that own some newer versions of either a Samsung phone or Tablet computer, to see if the glitch has been fixed in newer versions of the built-in browser.

For all I know, it might be possible to update my native browser directly from Samsung. When I attempted to do updates in the past, before I could even see if an update for the browser was available for my handheld, Samsung was requiring me to set up a new username and password. For a person who is "dialing in" from one of Samsung's own handheld devices. So I failed to do that, as it's one more rarely used "username and password" that I'm likely to lose before the next time I need it again.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted folks to know that they might be able to acquire a free browser (Opera Mobile) that works from the Amazon App Store. Thanks for your time.

Tim

Last edited:

Howie65

Wow Tim, this is a lot of text and it definitely proves that posting with Opera is also possible :) If I saw this post this morning I decided to go out for climbing first, before I read it all ;).

Thank you very much doing the test with Opera. I think that I have to change my text we can assume that the Standard Browser is the only one which has the problem.

One remark I have about Google Play. As far as I know it is possible to use it without Credit Card information. At the phone of my wife we configured it that way. The restriction is then that you can install only free Apps (Chrome should be for free). Maybe you can give Google Play another try.

Another remark about the copy to clipboard. This feature "Save Draft" saves the current Text as a Draft on the TreeBuzz Server and is therefore more powerful than a copy to clipboard. For example it is possible to start a new Post on your Phone and save it as draft - then switch to your Tablet, PC or whatever machine - access the same thread and continue writing your post.

Thank you too Tim (y)

Bernd

Last edited:

TimBr

One remark I have about Google Play. As far as I know it is possible to use it without Credit Card information. At the phone of my wife we configured it that way. The restriction is then that you can install only free Apps (Chrome should be for free). Maybe you can give Google Play another try.

Another remark about the copy to clipboard. This feature "Save Draft" saves the current Text as a Draft on the TreeBuzz Server and is therefore more powerful than a copy to clipboard. For example it is possible to start a new Post on your Phone and save it as draft - then switch to your Tablet, PC or whatever machine - access the same thread and continue writing your post.

Thank you too Tim (y)

Bernd
Bernd, thanks for the info about the possibility of using Google Play without using a credit card. I'll keep an open mind and maybe give it another go once I feel like trying to fight that fight again.

Thanks also for teaching me about the distinction between the "save draft" command and the "copy to clipboard" command. That is very interesting and useful information.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Sincerely,

Tim

Howie65

You're are most welcome Tim!

It is always a pleasure for me to give those people something back I have received so much information in the past - and you are one of them.

Therefore thank you too!

Bernd

TimBr

I just thought I would add in here another benefit that I've just now discovered to the use of the Opera browser over the one that is built into my Samsung Player 5.0.

It gets around a second, unrelated but major glitch that I have with the built-in version of the browser that came on my Samsung Player 5.0. The glitch would happen when my device's battery was getting really low, and I needed to plug it in to recharge it.

If I plugged the device in to recharge, but wanted to continue to use it to browse the forum while it was charging at the same time, it would be extremely difficult to try to create a new post to a thread. This was because the browser would start acting really strangely when I tried to write text in the box. The screen would enlarge massively without me asking it to do so, and it would also whip around wildly. It was like it was losing its mind, or something.

So here I am today, browsing on the TreeBuzz forum using my Opera browser like I ought to in order to avoid the glitch that started this whole thread in the first place. That of not being able to move my cursor off of the bottom of a post in progress, and then get back down to the bottom to continue.

.....And my battery is dying on me. So I plug it in to recharge it, after completely turning the device off, first.

Then it occurs to me, "Hey, I wonder if using the Opera browser to get away from the first glitch, might also save me from the second glitch, namely, a highly unstable browser when used while simultaneously charging the device?"

So I turn my device back on while it is still plugged in and charging, connect to the network, fire up the Opera browser and load the TreeBuzz forum web page. I'm reading through a thread, and decide to try to post a response, and to my surprise, there is absolutely zero instability in the Opera browser while I'm attempting to do this. Rock solid.

I was thinking the whole time I'd been experiencing the instability issue in the past that it was a problem with the Samsung hardware when attempting to use it while charging, but it was entirely the fault of the built-in browser software.

Sorry for another post that's too long and involved; I just wanted to let other Samsung users out there know about another thing that using the Opera browser manages to fix.

I do not possess any other alternative browser software, but those other options probably also fix this second glitch I see in the built-in Samsung browser.

Thanks for listening.

Tim

Last edited: