Tree Stuff Bag o Rope, what have you got.

Discussion in 'Rigging and Roping' started by Tree climber Australia, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Tree climber Australia

Tree climber Australia New Member

just wondering what people have received in their bags o rope from treestuff. I am looking at buying one but dont want to end up with heaps of short scraps. So what have you scored? Was it worth it or was it a waste of money?
    Edit: is it worth it to try and get some longer length of rope or should I just fork out the money and get what I need.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

If you like to splice, or are learning how to splice, they're one hell of a bargain. Have never gotten one that I couldn't use everything.
    If you're hoping to get a useable length of climbing line or rigging rope (as in 100 feet or more), the odds go down, but it happens.

3. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

X2 to JeffGu's post. Lot's of usable lengths for splicing. I've also gotten some short lengths of climbing and rigging ropes between 80-130' which I put to work in the smaller trees. Nice to not have an excess of rope on the ground. And when you lower something down to the groundie the opposite end is already back up in the tree ready to be tied to the next branch.

4. evo

evo Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a great deal. Never know what your going to get. I've gotten some nice slings. 200' of three strand hard lay that had looked like some orange spray paint exploded on a reel. 100' of Yale 11.7 or whatever, 100 + of tenex 5/8, 100' of some 4mm accessory cord, and some random other stuff that I wasn't too thrilled about but certainly used it.

5. kiteflyingeek

kiteflyingeek Member

I got 400+ feet of red 3/8" + 200+ feet of yellow 3/8" hollow braid. I've been making slings out of it. Used a 200' section of the red with some double pulleys to make a 5:1 MA system. But it's pretty small on the hands :confused:

--andrew

6. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Welcome TcA, is that your line setter in your avatar? Tie a throw line on its tail and use a laser pointer to get it to go up and over the branch you want, and back down for a treat.

colb and Tree climber Australia like this.
  7. Tree climber Australia

Tree climber Australia New Member

No that cat is the laziest thing in the world. Great idea though, I might have to get a new cat

8. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

I got 300' of boot laces.
    Used it all.

Just kidding I don't remember everything but I used most of what I bought and still have some in the basement for my.next lanyard. Will be the 3rd I've made put of that box

9. hseII

hseII Active Member

Bag 1
    [​IMG]

Bag 2
    I sent it back
    [​IMG]
    So they would splice them.

Bag 3
    [​IMG]
    I sent the Blue & Green back for splicing there too!!

10. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Very nice scores... the gods of bargain bag deals favor you!

96coal449 likes this.
  11. NE Tree

NE Tree Well-Known Member

Those are some great bags o rope. My first bag was pretty good but my last two kinda sucked ( alot of short pieces that were somewhat unusable). I also got 100 feet of some kind of crap cotton core rope that was essentially unusable as well.When I called to get an i.d. on it, they said it was maybe used to wrap up a pallet or something weird like that. I think that if they are going to be selling bags of random rope to people, it should at least be usable rope ( in materials and construction). They seem to have alot in the bags that they don't sell at all. Had I received at least all arborist rope of varying kinds, I would've gotten a few more bags by now. But I guess that's just how it goes

12. theatertech87

theatertech87 Member

I've personally never ordered a bag, but being able to do some of the more basic splices, I've gotten to peak into my coworkers bags and do some splicing for them. It's been mostly various lengths of double braid rigging ropes (usually 20-60ish feet) in various diameters, some 3 strand rope, some accessory cord, sometimes tenex or other hollow braid (again various sizes and lengths) and occasionally a length or 2 of some prussik cord. All usable for one purpose or another, mos tof the guys have me splice up dead eye slings for porta wraps and blocks. Sometimes a whoopie, or they'll ask if i can add a ring or rope snap to the end for them

13. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

If you have any expectation at all, just order what you want.

TS Rope bags go on sale occasionally for $50 and would consider one for that price. For $75 you can buy ~75' of known rope or even more if you buy something on sale. Wesspur sells shots sections individually if you want to build your own bag of rope. On their recent sale, you could have gotten 150' of new double braid climbing line for $75.

I would prefer that the rope bags only contain rope listed on TS website but it sounds like they can be any rope from any source.

96coal449 and NE Tree like this.
  14. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

Just hope Nick or one of his boys dont have a braided rug to discard of

Brocky likes this.
  15. vadriller

vadriller New Member

I just bought a bag when it went on sale last week.

I got a whole lot of small diameter hollow braid, a decent length of 1/2 polydyne dynasorb, and a length of some thicker 12 strand fluffy stuff I can't identify.

It was a huge rats nest in the bag. It took me about 45 minutes just to get all of the lengths untangled.

Any suggestions of what to make out of the hollow braid? I have plenty to play around with.
    Bag o rope 10-24-17.jpg

16. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

Speed line loops.
    I've got a dozen from BOR adventures.

I also think I got the best one ever once. Had 100+ feet of beeline in it. I'm still finding things to do with it.