Tree Spray/Fert Rigs, what is everyone using?

Hey Gang, the company I work for is in the process of looking to upgrade our current spray rig. As of now, we have a 300 gallon Lesco unit. 95% of the work is deep root fertilizing, 5% spraying. What is everyone else running? Happy with your decision? Looking for a skid mount 900/1000 gallons. I know Bean has a tremendous reputation, but I'm also looking for information on Sherrilltree's units and Minnesota Wanner.

marlinspiker

Bean sprayers are kinda old school. I would look at getting something that has three tanks. two for water and one for mixing spray applications. I wouldnt worry too much about trying to reach insane heights as this will up the price of a spray unit with a stronger pump/engine. anymore most insect control can be achieved using injectables instead of spraying to heights of 75' as this can be wasteful and potentially environmentally harmful. Sherrill and Greenpro solutions make good custom units.

JeffL

We had Sherrill build us a unit for one of our trucks setup with the swap n go bodies, love it. Coming from using a few old Beans it's a definite upgrade.

[ QUOTE ]
We had Sherrill build us a unit for one of our trucks setup with the swap n go bodies, love it. Coming from using a few old Beans it's a definite upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. Really interested in the sherrill units but haven't found any reviews so to speak. What kind of setup are you using in terms of pumps and tanks? Using jet agitation at all or just mechanical?

JeffL

We've got 3 tanks, a 600 up front, 300 in the middle, and a 50gal in the rear. Not sure of the exact engine setup, but it just noses out the bean, so on a calm day doing big hemlocks with oil, it'll maybe make it to 90-95', but I dont usually do those sprays, typically I just do the anti-dessicant run in the fall on all our newly planted stuff.

Its set up with jet agitation, which works great, but they said its a 35gpm pump, so even still, it will turn over the entire contents of even the 300gallon tank in under 10 minutes anyways, so not a huge deal.

One improvement we made was to put the hose reel rollers on the inside of the hose reel "rack", to give more clearance to the door, the way they had it set up with the rollers on the outside, you'd have to spool the end of the hose all the way back in through the rollers to close the rear door, which gets annoying having to fish the end of the hose back through and put a gun back on, especially if you do a lot of stop and go, short runs between sprays.

I will say its build quality is pretty impressive, we've got ours on the swap-n-go as I said, and I had the winch cable break just as I got the bed all the way to the cab. Empty tanks, but the sprayer hit the ground from about 5 feet up and landed cockeyed off the rear of the truck.

Fished it off the truck with a loader, set it on the ground, not a single screw was broken and it fired right up. Needless to say, my stomach came up my throat as I sat in the cab and watched that free-roll off the truck......

I know that the Bean I used to use was perfect for anything spray-wise 75' and under. Kinda old school, but it is a really easy unit to maintain also.

i have a beautiful 2012 International 4300 Spray Truck, DT466 diesel, Auto, with Minnesota Wanner Phase 4, KW900 spray unit, with 900 gallon, 3 compartment tank (500/200/200) w/mechanical agitation in the 500, jet agitation in the others, HydraCell D40 PTO driven pump (40 gpm/700 psi), and electric rewind hose reels, 62,770 miles.Xn3aprFuRMKqppgsE6myPw.jpg