Tree Climbing Discord Server

Link deleted by Tom Dunlap...waiting further explanation

.... the server is new!

Last edited by a moderator:

TimBr

@SRTRAD; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here! Congratulations on making your first few posts here on the forum!

Having said all of that, you are the person who started this thread. You managed to get one member interested enough in your thread that they bothered to respond to it, in spite of the fact that you did not give any description of what the link is about in your original post. When asked to explain, you tell him to figure it out for himself. In my humble opinion, that is not the best way to try to get people to engage in a conversation, if that is what you would like to see happen. Meet us halfway, and we'll be glad to try to help you in any way that we can. Thanks.

Tim

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I read a tiny bit about discord

I’m gathering that this is another social media format. Correct me if I’m wrong

My immmediate reaction is to have you explain, like we asked

Then, if I’m close to right ask you why you should be allowed permission to syphon traffic away from what Mark, myself and the rest of the Treebuzz community has built in 16 years. Sure seems impolite

Discord is a voice chat program that was originally made for gaming. This program allows you to create your own "servers" that other people can join. I dont know how good such a thing would work in the tree climbing community, but I think its worth a try.

@SRTRAD; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here! Congratulations on making your first few posts here on the forum!

Having said all of that, you are the person who started this thread. You managed to get one member interested enough in your thread that they bothered to respond to it, in spite of the fact that you did not give any description of what the link is about in your original post. When asked to explain, you tell him to figure it out for himself. In my humble opinion, that is not the best way to try to get people to engage in a conversation, if that is what you would like to see happen. Meet us halfway, and we'll be glad to try to help you in any way that we can. Thanks.

Tim
Sorry about that. I came from a forum in which discord was widely known. Discord is a proprietary Freeware VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. I have seen ROck climbing communities, Hiking communities and so on and they have all been successful. it can be compared to Google + and if you want to know more you can find images of servers etc. Thanks.

Merle Nelson

Another way of helping us to understand is, what would I (we) get out of it if we did use it? What is the benefit or added value to us? What does it do for us?

The exceptionally brave could also share all the downsides.

Another way of helping us to understand is, what would I (we) get out of it if we did use it? What is the benefit or added value to us? What does it do for us?

The exceptionally brave could also share all the downsides.
I think potential benefits are:
-talking instead of only writing
-maybe a faster response to messages
the downside would be that things that are said are not available for anybody to search up on google and available at all times. A lot of people on here might not know what others talk about on the discord server, since they dont want to install discord/ make an account.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
@SRTRAD

Thanks for a bit of insight

One of the strongpoints of Treebuzz is the sea change archives that go back many years. This information has been shar d and thrashed in a public peer review format. So many forms of social media are ephemeral and go away like smoke. There’s no way to go back and find out what was said.

Many times a month someone will pop in and step into the public light and begin participating in the exchange of information. Most of them lurked for a while and wandere through the archives. Some things change but so many things stay the same

I read a tiny bit about discord

I’m gathering that this is another social media format. Correct me if I’m wrong

My immmediate reaction is to have you explain, like we asked

Then, if I’m close to right ask you why you should be allowed permission to syphon traffic away from what Mark, myself and the rest of the Treebuzz community has built in 16 years. Sure seems impolite
Where do you suppose i find people to join then?

Merle Nelson

The archives are one of our most valuable resources. When I first learned of TreeBuzz I would search past conversations and info on my favorite topics for hours each day. It's like having hundreds or thousands of books on tree service and etc at my disposal. And, the info is from multiple people adding to it's value and broad perspective.

Redtree

No offence to the new suggestion, perhaps there is a great benefit to that kind of format somewhere amongst tree people. On the other hand, there is aready a general lack of the skill and practice of reading and writing. Much like, but somewhat beside the point that communication by sending letters is also a dying art (I would assume). There are other benefits of the current format, besides recording it as mentioned. One is that a post is thought out (well at least sometimes). The point is that it might take 5 minutes to do a 100 word post, while it would only take a fraction of a minute to say a 100 word text. And we dont want to be fast and furious, we want to be steady and thorough. Speed and efficiency are two different things. Another benefit is that a post can be long, without interruption, which eliminates unnecessary questions and promotes more detailed and thought out questions. Yes ? no? maybe? For example, if I were to try to say this post off the cuff, it may be difficult. You can also use the microphone feature to create a post, just remember to edit before sending. Maybe its funny coming from me though, to suggest editing. I can go on. I'm working on it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk