Tree Buzz forum performance

samsquatch

Yo team.
I have been noticing this issue for some time, but the recent www.treebuzz.com website outage the other day has prompted me to bring this up now.
Is anyone else experiencing slow site performance when loading images in the forum? There is a nice popup/modal that shows us a full res photo when we click on it, but that black screen spins for 8-10, sometimes 20 seconds before it loads the photo. Does anyone else have this issue? See attached image for example of load times. (well, you'll likely wait for it to load first!)

I am a Web Infrastructure Engineer in my day job, and operating web servers and databases is something that I feed my family doing. I'd like to bring this to @Mark Chisholm and @Tom Dunlap attention, in case we want to approach the website hosting company about the performance issues.
As a for example, I would suggest that today's hosting company (Intersessions in NJ) look into the following:
  • Hosting site assets (or the entire site, if possible) on a cloud provider that is able to offer a Content Delivery Network.
This would result in faster page load times (via CDN caching) and infrastructure redundancy for site uptime & reliability.

If the hosting company is no help, I have the skillset to bring the site onto a modern cloud hosting system with CDN, and I work everyday with designers and programmers that could help overhaul the site aesthetically and programmatically, if we feel something should be tweaked with that as well.

As for the forum software (XenForo?), I have no reservations about it, other than aesthetically it could use a facelift. What are others' thoughts with the forum in general?

Attachments

samsquatch

no image upload issues from my side, they are uploaded almost immediately
Agreed, uploads are no issues here either. I'm talking about the image popup (the image "slider" that pops up when clicking on someone else's photo they posted).

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Pics in threads seem to open faster on my phone than on my laptop.

Anything that goes on behind the keyboard is a mystery to me. I can read what you’re saying but for the most part I have no clue what you mean. My shortcoming not yours ‍♂

evo

If the photo is embedded into the post no issues here.
If the photo is a thumbnail attachment it’s a little slow, and often stalls part way never to show the whole photo.
The image slider thing sucks, takes FOREVER and bugs out most the time. I dont know what it’s called but there is a button which opens the photo on a new page, so if it’s in the slider format I tend to go for that.

evo

Uploading isn’t a issue unless I’m loading a image directly from the camera then it crashes and reloads the page. No issues loading from a file.

yoyoman

I have not had problems loading images, perhaps I'm slow and it's a good match.
Kind of a separate issue but what I do find a problem is the notifications on threads that I'm following, I would say most of the time I don't get alerts a new posts.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Yo team.
I have been noticing this issue for some time, but the recent www.treebuzz.com website outage the other day has prompted me to bring this up now.
Is anyone else experiencing slow site performance when loading images in the forum? There is a nice popup/modal that shows us a full res photo when we click on it, but that black screen spins for 8-10, sometimes 20 seconds before it loads the photo. Does anyone else have this issue? See attached image for example of load times. (well, you'll likely wait for it to load first!)

I am a Web Infrastructure Engineer in my day job, and operating web servers and databases is something that I feed my family doing. I'd like to bring this to @Mark Chisholm and @Tom Dunlap attention, in case we want to approach the website hosting company about the performance issues.
As a for example, I would suggest that today's hosting company (Intersessions in NJ) look into the following:
  • Hosting site assets (or the entire site, if possible) on a cloud provider that is able to offer a Content Delivery Network.
This would result in faster page load times (via CDN caching) and infrastructure redundancy for site uptime & reliability.

If the hosting company is no help, I have the skillset to bring the site onto a modern cloud hosting system with CDN, and I work everyday with designers and programmers that could help overhaul the site aesthetically and programmatically, if we feel something should be tweaked with that as well.

As for the forum software (XenForo?), I have no reservations about it, other than aesthetically it could use a facelift. What are others' thoughts with the forum in general?
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Like Tom, I won't pretend to act like I know what you just said:) I am interested to know more about your suggestions though. Maybe we could discuss this more via email first and include Claudio since he is very familiar with everything beyond the scenes. Would you mind just sending me a quick email to mark@treebuzz.com to get started and then I'll connect everyone? Thanks!