Trebuchet

macswan

IMG_0328.JPG
So this piece...

I am up a decent sized oak, a removal, 50 yards from a house. I am at my TIP 45-50' above ground, I blow the first of two tops into the woods, all systems go, no problem. Second top goes into the woods in the opposite direction of the house, tips hit first, butt slaps down like a beaver tail and that piece...gets catapulted out of the structure, and I struggled to comprehend its trajectory, I see it coming to my height in the tree, that's impressive, shit! It's going above and past me into the yard, shit! It's going over the yard, it's gonna hit the house, holy shit! It's going over the FUCKING THREE STORY HOUSE!!!
"Watch out" i bellow across the yard, my groundie looking up at me in the side yard very far away, confused. I then tell him what happened, he walks around the front and finds the price lying like 15 yards in front of the THREE STORY HOUSE! The sneaky prick flew 10' to my left about 60' in the air and about 70 yards out to the front yard. Tried to post a short explanatory vid, but it beat me. May try again.

It was fucking mind blowing

oldoakman

How cold was it? I have had pieces of elm hit the pavement and bounce over the bucket truck in winter when the wood was frozen, but never a trajectory like that. Glad all came out ok and no one or thing was injured or damaged.

Treetopflyer

View attachment 48432
So this piece...

I am up a decent sized oak, a removal, 50 yards from a house. I am at my TIP 45-50' above ground, I blow the first of two tops into the woods, all systems go, no problem. Second top goes into the woods in the opposite direction of the house, tips hit first, butt slaps down like a beaver tail and that piece...gets catapulted out of the structure, and I struggled to comprehend its trajectory, I see it coming to my height in the tree, that's impressive, shit! It's going above and past me into the yard, shit! It's going over the yard, it's gonna hit the house, holy shit! It's going over the FUCKING THREE STORY HOUSE!!!
"Watch out" i bellow across the yard, my groundie looking up at me in the side yard very far away, confused. I then tell him what happened, he walks around the front and finds the price lying like 15 yards in front of the THREE STORY HOUSE! The sneaky prick flew 10' to my left about 60' in the air and about 70 yards out to the front yard. Tried to post a short explanatory vid, but it beat me. May try again.

Lucky trophy piece right there ..mount that one on the limbwalker hall of fame.

TimBr

View attachment 48432
So this piece...

Holy cow!

That's crazy, I had a similar incident except the piece blew sideways and luckily hit the top wire of a fence . I don't think I would be writing this if it missed the fence. There was no time to react

TimBr

@Kris Anderson; Wow, again! Is this type of incident anything you can learn from, in order to better set up in the future in a way that might protect you? Or is it such a low probability event that there is nothing you feel you could do, practically speaking? As in, you would not be willing to change how you work for something that might occur once in two million attempts at doing a similar task. Just a fluke that cannot be defended against, and if your time is up, your time is up? Like maybe dropping down behind a stem after you drop a top, as a small barrier between you and any possible projectiles? Like a soldier taking any cover that's available to soak up enemy fire? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Tim

treehumper

As in, you would not be willing to change how you work for something that might occur once in two million attempts at doing a similar task. Just a fluke that cannot be defended against, and if your time is up, your time is up?
Not willing to change how one works based on new data? That is a problem in our industry. Take a stroll through the FB groups and you'll see plenty of that. In this thread alone there's 3 accounts of pieces flying so, I'd say it's worth considering.

Instead of downplaying it or calling it a fluke how about talking about what to look for in order to mitigate such hazards. It would be like identifying potential widowmakers. That may seem to be over the top but all plays into the degree of professionalism that we bring to the table.

For me, things to consider are:
  • species, how brittle is the wood?
  • targets, those that have the potential to incur damage if a piece does explode off of the tree.
  • would it be better to dismantle the tree and rig it down then to just bomb in despite having the drop zone?

macswan

Years ago I got hit by a piece like a baby brother to the one in the op. It came side ways off a dropped top. I was thirty feet away and it happened faster than I could react. Hit me in the shoulder and spun me around