Tips for buying at auction?

RBJtree

I just found out there is an equipment auction yard 30 minutes from my shop. I never had much money to spend, so I never looked for them before. They have two bucket trucks for sale. Both are in good condition, medium to low mileage and hours, little to no background info. One has a boom inspection sticker from 2013, one has no stickers whatsoever. I got to run and drive them in the lot, all seems to work perfectly. Any tips or warnings for auction buying? They go up on Thursday, I plan to be there.

ATH

Don't get excited and over bid. Set a price in your mind and stick to it - auctioneers make a lot of money getting people excited... If that is all the exposure you get to the trucks, they better go cheap.

RBJtree

Don't get excited and over bid. Set a price in your mind and stick to it - auctioneers make a lot of money getting people excited... If that is all the exposure you get to the trucks, they better go cheap.
I am thinking about asking for a road test. Do you know if auctions commonly allow that?

ATH

I don't think they do...but it wouldn't hurt to ask! Just act like you aren't even going to go to the auction of they don't let you. If you can, see if you an schedule a mechanic to take a peak at it while you are testing it.

evo

No they don't... The ones around here let you go though the vehicle, start it up, and run the functions (minus moving it). Best advise I can give is just go to one or two without any money or intention of buying anything (and don't). Their job is to incite distraction and competitive behavior. Good and great deals can be had, but it's good to know when your being played

RBJtree

Me and one of the guys I work with are both pretty good mechanically. I wouldn't say we are pro level diesel mechanics, but we have done a lot of diesel mechanic work. One of the trucks is an 02 with only 15,000 miles on a 7.2 cat, the other the other is a 4wd beast with a dt466, 2007, 96,000 miles. They appear to have been municipal trucks. Both have very clean engines, good looking oil, shift thru gears perfectly, booms operate correctly. The only thing I like better about "newer" electronic engines is that when you want to buy them, if there is no check engine light, there is probably nothing bad going on. Neither has a check engine light on. They sound right, good oil pressure, no smoke... I should have checked the blow-by, maybe I will go back and check that. If either one goes for under 30,000 its under market retail price, at least from what I have seen by what is for sale within 1000 miles of me. And that's all I have to spend, so I can't really pay more than they are worth. The no history or resent boom inspection is what makes me nervous, but you never really know what someone else did with a truck.

RBJtree

Well, the 4wd international went for $34,000. Too much for me. I bought the 2wd GMC for $28,000. I am fucking happy! This truck has 15,000 miles on it! It has a big nasty winch on the front that will get me into or out of where ever it needs to go. Who needs 4wd. Gotta leave some trees to climb anyway, after all, I do love to climb.

RBJtree

I have to wait 10 days for the title to be mailed. Once I get it and take possession, I'll get you work picks.

Reactions: ATH

Fivepoints

I have just about the same truck. Keep an eye on the radiator getting plugged up with sawdust. They are good trucks otherwise.

RBJtree

I have just about the same truck. Keep an eye on the radiator getting plugged up with sawdust. They are good trucks otherwise.
Do you have the braden winch? It has a shaft that runs to the side of the bumper where a capstan can be installed to use on rope, but my truck didn't include the capstan. Unless I just didn't find it in the mess they left in the boxes. I'm trying to find a replacement capstan. It will be awesome to have a hydraulic capstan rope winch when I find a replacement. Probably just have to call a dealer. It appears that altec offers those bumpers as an option.

Fivepoints

I don't remember the brand of my winch but its the same setup. I don't have a capstan for mine. I'd like to have one myself. Post up if you end up finding a good source,

Bango Skank

Looks pretty clean and not abused! Headache rack looks nice and straight still lol, everyone around here is bent to hell and back.
This can open some opportunities for you to see to other business and let your crew do the work if needed. Takes ages to become a good climber, but a lot of proven groundies can learn to fly a bucket in a short time.
I'm really happy for you brother, it's good to see your business growing!

RBJtree

Looks pretty clean and not abused! Headache rack looks nice and straight still lol, everyone around here is bent to hell and back.
This can open some opportunities for you to see to other business and let your crew do the work if needed. Takes ages to become a good climber, but a lot of proven groundies can learn to fly a bucket in a short time.
I'm really happy for you brother, it's good to see your business growing!
Thanks Bango. I have a guy who is a fair climber but he is getting a little older and can't/doesn't want to do a lot of climbing any more. He can run a bucket like a champ though. I'll get a lot more time for bids with this truck on the job. I might not be half crippled from over working myself and never having time to recover by winter this year too!

RBJtree

I don't remember the brand of my winch but its the same setup. I don't have a capstan for mine. I'd like to have one myself. Post up if you end up finding a good source,
Looks like I found a capstan for Braden winch! I haven't brought my truck home yet, still waiting for the title but should be this week. Then I should be able to get a model number from the winch and confirm this is the right capstan. Seems a bit pricey for a piece of aluminium, but I think I need to have it.

Fivepoints

Looks like I found a capstan for Braden winch! I haven't brought my truck home yet, still waiting for the title but should be this week. Then I should be able to get a model number from the winch and confirm this is the right capstan. Seems a bit pricey for a piece of aluminium, but I think I need to have it.
For that much, I'll just machine one out of a piece of 6061 on my lathe and mill. We actually need two of them so that'll ad up quickly.