Throw line

RopeShield

Bags are a loser.
Get peppered and lose your target or
fire a bullit and kill your target.
Fuck all this endless stupidity, must be tough being that stupid oh I forgot its the toxic Lead you handle daily:wtf:
Like I said before the retailers, industry leaders, association etc don't give a shit about you.
Look for an alternative. Throw a shackle, twist link whatever and wrap it guaze, tape whatever and practice and throw accurately.

JeffGu

...a little agitated these days...
I feel his pain. Trying to bring the RopeBologna to market, I've met with a lot of resistance. TreeStiffy.com won't carry it because of its potential to attract scavengers and squash small children. Weaver is harassing me over some patent infringement regarding their Pimento Loaf Throwbag. People are whining about it not being MSG-free and containing pink foam meat substitute.

The world of big business is fraught with problems and setbacks.

Last edited:

RopeShield

PLEASE Don't take what I say personally.
Just makes me MAD to hear the Lead Pb bags are still poisoning people and the environment.

Last edited:

RBJtree

Bags are a loser.
Get peppered and lose your target or
fire a bullit and kill your target.
Fuck all this endless stupidity, must be tough being that stupid oh I forgot its the toxic Lead you handle daily:wtf:
Like I said before the retailers, industry leaders, association etc don't give a shit about you.
Look for an alternative. Throw a shackle, twist link whatever and wrap it guaze, tape whatever and practice and throw accurately.
Ok so you have nothing. Good luck dude.

Joeybagodonuts

You seem a little agitated these days Rope? It might be time for a little liver cleanse and a wheat grass enema bro?
Oouuuuhhhhh fuck yeah says Mr. Slave..

Loading up an APTA with 200 PSI or more and letting her rip will separate the good throw lines from the not so good throw lines real quick. The tangling and the knotting on the not so good throw lines was enough to ruin my fucking day. For me the only one that consistently comes out clean is the DynaGlide.
Hahaha.. 200psi Chyeah.. you think? I'm surprised they don't just explode by default...
Shit.. i go with 80psi in my diy POS & I'm lost in the woods for hours looking for the damn bag! But I'm also not on your side of the Rockies playing with monsters..

popup laundry baskets
Looked into those today thinking most of these cubes are over glorified collage laundry hampers.. I realized my suspicions were spot on when i came across Sherrill selling the actual "Fold & Hold" cube i originally saw on QVC.. I can't imagine that thing costs more than 5 bucks at the dollar store, yet it's a real steal at Sherrill for $25...

climbstihl

My rope bags of choice!

(I do have a couple of actual rope bags, but most are the $1 ~ $3 shopping bags from farm stores, laundry baskets and those lawn clipping bags with a spiral wire that collapse flat when they're empty.)
My main rope bag is a large rolltop backpack, that is borderline waterproof. Not sure where I got it. Easily fits 200'of 1/2", plus my throwline, and some gear on top. Then I just hang my saddle over it, I can carry everything comfortably that way.20190829_185255.jpg20190816_133901.jpg20190816_133927.jpg

SeanRuel

I've used 2.2 mm zing it and the notch equivalent. Very similar products imo, I like them. Both benefit from a pre use stretch. unspool tie one end off and pull with come along. helps with kinking.

I've pulled over 50 foot trees with a single leg of zing it!

Jehinten

I've been using 1.75 zing-it with a 12 oz notch bag. I like the combo but as of late the zing-it has been coming out of the cube all tangled up. I may need to put it under a load as someone else mentioned to stiffen it up.

NorCalBrock

I've been using 1.75 zing-it with a 12 oz notch bag. I like the combo but as of late the zing-it has been coming out of the cube all tangled up. I may need to put it under a load as someone else mentioned to stiffen it up.
I find it tangles more the older it gets..once its lost its coating, It is time to make shoe laces.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So weird, I have exactly the opposite experience of a lot of you guys. I have the 1.75 zing-it and it's still my go to. I bought the 2.2 Notch Acculine and have had really mixed feelings about it. The first several times I tried to use it I ended up in crazy tangles... like the coating is a little tacky or something. It's stiff and easy to untangle, but it tangles none-the-less. The bigger issue I have is that it has actually worn into the ISC aluminum rings on my friction saver after one use pulling up my climbing line. The Zing-it seems to leave behind little smudges, but the one time I used the acculine - it actually cut into the aluminum.

I keep the Zing-it flaked in a little tool holder thingy, and it runs straight out of it. Small enough to clip to my harness for advancing.

red-and-black-husky-tool-bags-82051n12-64_1000.jpg
Top pulls closed, little pockets hold my throw bags. I just make my own of those... Basically sew one end of some 2" tubular webbing shut, fill with some steel ball bearings I've scavenged from somewhere or another, and sew on a piece of stiff cord or a ring. I can post a picture after I get off work if anyone's interested.

climbstihl

So weird, I have exactly the opposite experience of a lot of you guys. I have the 1.75 zing-it and it's still my go to. I bought the 2.2 Notch Acculine and have had really mixed feelings about it. The first several times I tried to use it I ended up in crazy tangles... like the coating is a little tacky or something. It's stiff and easy to untangle, but it tangles none-the-less. The bigger issue I have is that it has actually worn into the ISC aluminum rings on my friction saver after one use pulling up my climbing line. The Zing-it seems to leave behind little smudges, but the one time I used the acculine - it actually cut into the aluminum.

I keep the Zing-it flaked in a little tool holder thingy, and it runs straight out of it. Small enough to clip to my harness for advancing.

View attachment 62328
Top pulls closed, little pockets hold my throw bags. I just make my own of those... Basically sew one end of some 2" tubular webbing shut, fill with some steel ball bearings I've scavenged from somewhere or another, and sew on a piece of stiff cord or a ring. I can post a picture after I get off work if anyone's interested.
Pics are always appreciated here. Especially if they're showing DIY gear.

Here's the bag, not diy but using what I had:

Here are my throw bags. I saw the idea somewhere very early on in my learning about tree climbing. My first throw weight was a golf ball with an eye screw in it... Too light.

I think I made the center one first. Climb spec 2" tubular webbing with mil-spec 1" webbing on the top. Non welded ring from something I salvaged. I can't say much about weight I just guessed. I mostly use this on the end of my throw line which is a little too short.

Made the second one a little more simple, and a little lighter. This is my go-to. The string is some super stiff Blue Water accessory cord. It's seriously annoyingly stiff, but it has it's applications.

Last one I haven't used yet, trying to make it a little more shapely to help with hang-ups.

All hand sewn. The last one I used some heavy weight uhmw fishing line along the leading edge where I shaped it as I figured the abrasion resistance would be good for exterior threads.

Tips:
*cut your webbing about twice the length you want to end with.
*Turn it inside out and stitch one end closed. If you want to do the pointy shape, don't cut it to that shape, the construction of tubular webbing means it will all just fall apart of you cut along the length at all.
*Fill it with whatever. Steel BBs, or slingshot ammo is available, a balloon filled with modeling clay or sand would probably work well. Don't use lead, no sense in it.
*Tuck the sides in insert ring/D/cord, and sew it up.

The first two I made pretty full, which makes for a pretty stiff bag. I think a little room for the contents to shift might help prevent hang up.

Last edited:
Separate post for other topic:

Here's my ring and ring friction saver (DIY):

Here's the wear from the Acculine after one use:
*edit* It was pointed out to me that this is likely the rings rubbing each other and not the line, which makes total sense now looking at it. At least I'm proud of the saver.

The zing it seemed to leave marks, but they came off. Coating transfer or something. The Acculine was brand new, so I don't think it's like dirt embedding in the line or anything. And it's too narrow for my climb line to have caused it.

Anyway, any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

Cheers and happy climbing!
Dumpy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Im pretty sure that wear is just from the rings rubbing each other..
Wow, I'm dumb. I totally see it now. Wear would have been over the inside of the rings if it somehow was the throw line. I'm a little embarrassed... I saw the scratches in the same direction as the line running and jumped to a conclusion.

I looked really carefully at the line and I just couldn't see how it could have done that, but I kept looking for how the line caused it and not what else could have caused it.

Chaplain242

Wow, I'm dumb. I totally see it now. Wear would have been over the inside of the rings if it somehow was the throw line. I'm a little embarrassed... I saw the scratches in the same direction as the line running and jumped to a conclusion.

I looked really carefully at the line and I just couldn't see how it could have done that, but I kept looking for how the line caused it and not what else could have caused it.
Nylon can cause it if tensioned, so can elastic if highly tensioned. In situations where sintered steel gears engage with nylon gears - guess which one more often breaks?

Elastic if highly tensioned can cut steel like a saw (little slow if done by hand)...