This Just In . . . .

rope-a-dope

I heard a guys' brother made it thru basic training (air force recruit) on a strict vegan diet. I think if the military can abide, other agencies can, too. Of course under emergency conditions, supplies of tofu may be limited.
I feel sorry for the guy, but if it's that important to you, you probably should not take jobs that place dietary responsibility on government agencies.

ghostice

I must admit - I haven't given this a lot of thought for the few out-in-the-sticks jobs we do - the guys usually just inhale whatever we drag along for lunch be it animal, vegetable or mineral, solid or liquid - like the movie - Gone in 60 Seconds . . .
I think it's more common in EU countries or UK/ Australia to provide crew meals maybe? I'd be interested in what folks have to say about providing special lunches/ special meals for arb work - what guys like and what they don't.

evo

I personally support this guy. Myself I don’t eat meat, I was the only vegetarian in my grade school and scouts. I went hungry ALOT! I can’t digest any red meat, or animal fats. It just comes back up within a hour or so of swallowing. So many times accommodations were sides of rice, and or a salad.

It’s not a ethical thing for me, even though factory farming is horrible. It’s not a religious thing, but I have certainly felt discriminated against with subtle hazing. It’s not fair but I’ve learned to get the diet I need, I’m on my own and my pack was always overloaded in scouts because not only was I required to pack my share of collective supplies, I had to pack 90% of my own food.

It’s not hard to eat veggie or vegan anymore, sounds like no effort was put in to accommodate this guys diet. What if this was a medical issue for him like a nut allergy, gluten intolerance, or egg allergy? If he were not supplied with proper food it would be a discrimination case due to a medical condition. Going against personal ethical beliefs isn’t any different in my eyes

ghostice

I’m interested in this not just in passing but because I have a relative with IBS that seems for all intents to be untreatable for years now. A veg diet seemed to help. But for fieldwork diet is an issue. And getting enough calories is an issue.

Last edited:

evo

How about if you have special dietary needs, you bring food with you to take care of those needs?
Not when food is supposed to be supplied by the employer creating exclusion. This is different than not liking tomatoes..

JeffGu

...bring food with you...
Hey, there's a novel idea... but, why stop there? Why not have the meat eaters load up 90 lbs. of bacon in their backpacks and haul it around? I'm thinking it will smell great on about the third or fourth day...

I'm guessing that there are real good reasons why firefighting isn't a "bring your own lunch" affair.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
When I worked the Camp Fire in California last year, there were vegetarian and vegan foods provided on an on-demand basis. After tiring of the onslaught of never ending meat, I found myself selecting vegetarian and vegan choices on occasions for a change of pace.

If the guy filled out a form with his dietary requirements spelled out, his employer should have decided whether to send him or make the necessary accommodations. It's 2019 and people have allergies and reactions and if you're going to take them away from their homes and keep them away on assignment, you've got to provide food on the basis that not everyone eats the same things.