This is what I did with my copy of 'The Fundamentals'...

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Muggs, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Muggs

Muggs Well-Known Member

Fundamentals laid out - Small.jpg [​IMG]

When I heard that The Fundamentals was out of print a while back, I was heartbroken. This is the book that started it all for me. I contacted Jerry B. back in April or May of this year, with the intention of bringing it back. I wanted to release it as both a paper copy and an e-book. I just couldn't imagine his life's work fading away, unavailable to the younger generations.

Jerry donated a couple copies to me (mine is all full of notes, underlines, asterisks, exclamation marks...you get the picture). I needed a fresh copy for this project, plus I figured I should have a backup, just in case. I asked him to sign the one that would be scanned, so that every new copy going forward would be signed by the author (he ended up signing both copies, the signed "backup" is now my prized possession!)

I brought the copy to the print shop that I have used for the last 7 years for all of my business printing. They are a good print shop, with 10 locations across the province, so they had all the equipment at their disposal. I had them slice the spine off the book, then they scanned each page, front and back, by hand (the book is over 500 pages long!). The final product was a 112 MB, PDF file of the book.

Next we started making proofs, trying to see how it would look in print. The results were lackluster. After much back and forth with the print shop, I didn't know what to do. They had made it very clear from the get-go that this was an experiment on their part, they had never tried to re-create an out-of-print book by scanning before (it was obviously an experiment on my part as well, I'm just a tree climber.) I chose about 10 pages, with and without images, for them to re-scan, using different settings. No luck. After trying 3 different ways of scanning the book, we were unable to get a satisfactory quality. There was always a problem either with the text or the pictures, but never with both at the same time. It tended to look good in the scans but then when it went to print it either looked grainy or blurry or washed out. I was disappointed to say the least.

At that point, I turned my attention to the e-book idea. I figured it was a hell of a lot better than nothing. I prefer physical books myself, but the younger kids would be thrilled with a digital copy! So now I was faced with the 112 MB dilemma. It was way too big to be a digital download. I figured it should be less than 30 MB to distribute. I also knew it would have to be searchable if we were going to sell it. This is where the project stalled for a few months. I had no idea how to get the file size down. I'm a nerd, and I tried all kinds of things. But it wasn't working.

Then in October, the breakthrough happened. I found out about this type of text processing in Adobe Acrobat called 'Clearscan'. I processed the book with Clearscan, and bam! It went from 112MB to 30MB, all without negatively affecting the actual images! Then I processed it with Optical Character Recognition software, to make it fully searchable. Now everything contained in 500+ pages is easy to find, you can just press CTRL-F and it instantly shows you where it is. Next I played around with file optimization, and eventually got it down to 23 MB. I knew I was onto something!

I messaged Jerry with the good news, and started working on a sales page. 6000 words later, the sales page was done. I want to completely overwhelm people with just how much content is in this book. Whether it costs $20 or $50 or $100, it really is a steal. The knowledge and wisdom in this book is a bargain, at any price. Seriously, if you actually read all the way to the bottom of that sales page, there is no way you aren't going to buy Jerry's book!

So now I had the file, but I had no idea about digital payment processing or fulfillment. This took a few more weeks. I eventually figured it out. The checkout process is seamless, and the book is delivered as a digital download via email after payment is completed. Jerry said we should sell it for $20, so that's what I did. It's a compromise for sure on the original plan of a physical book, but I couldn't be happier with the final outcome, I'm very proud of it.

So, to make a long story short, the Digital Edition came on-line this past Wednesday, and the first person in the world to purchase a copy was my own apprentice James! Our plans for a physical copy of the book are on hold, for now. But in the meantime, The Fundamentals is back!

I want to thank Jerry Beranek for all the support throughout this process, and for pouring his heart into The Fundamentals all those years ago. You were my inspiration from day one! I have been of the opinion for a very long time now, that every new, up and coming arborist should read 'The Fundamentals'. This project ensures that Jerry's book will remain available for many, many years to come!

The book has been live for a week now and it has sold almost 100 copies! You can check out 'The Fundamentals of General Tree Work - Digital Edition' exclusively on EducatedClimber. All the best!

Get your copy of 'The Fundamentals' here:
    https://www.educatedclimber.com/beranek-fundamentals/

2. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

Well done!

Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes story p

TimBr likes this.
  3. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Muggs; Patrick, you are my new hero! Thank you so much for seeing this need and actually acting on it. Really nicely done! You are in the history books, now baby! The man who saved "The Fundamentals"!

Obviously, huge thanks go out to Jerry Beranek for being open-minded enough to permit it, and for all of his hard work in producing the book in the first place.

Tim

4. Muggs

Muggs Well-Known Member

Yessir, Jerry is a pioneer. So glad to be a part of this story!

Patrick

FreeFallin, NorCalBrock, mjp and 2 others like this.
  5. OasisTree

OasisTree Active Member

I agree, everyone should read that book. If you don't have it already, here is the place to get it.

Having the digital copy searchable is awesome! I might have to add a digital copy to my print version.

Thanks for making it available, Muggs.

Muggs, mjp and TimBr like this.
  6. Treespotter

Treespotter Well-Known Member

Thanks Patrick, a great effort worth supporting. I just ordered and received your digital signed version. If you ever see Gerald in the flesh, please thank this man on behalf of me and everyone working in this industry.
    :numberone:

Muggs, FreeFallin, TimBr and 2 others like this.
  7. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Just ordered mine! And thanks for the backstory and all the work that went into this project Patrick, I actually prefer digital so this is well worth the investment.

Muggs likes this.
  8. Muggs

Muggs Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the kind words everybody. Super excited about this project. Awesome to see the appreciation for Jerry's masterpiece! Cheers.

- Patrick

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    mjp and Tom Dunlap like this.
  9. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Bump. I just purchased a second copy, for a friend.

Tim

Muggs, FreeFallin and Treespotter like this.
  10. Daveyface

Daveyface Member

sooo happy you did this man, i got my copy last week and read most of it straight thru, well i am a good feller but i learned a few small things i didnt kno and the day after i read it i cut a huge back leaning maple and used some of what i learned and the owner was watching and the whole crew was standing around looking puzzled as to why i was making all these strange special cuts but when i made the sucker swing away from the shed, jump up off the stump and uphill a bit they were like whoa your good lol awesome book

Muggs, GreenstoneVT, TimBr and 3 others like this.
  11. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Daveyface; Congratulations on that incident. Nice work!

Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum, just in case nobody has said that yet. I think you're going to like it here, and I look forward to reading more from you.

Tim

Muggs likes this.
  12. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Bump. I'm wondering if the mods would agree that this is a thread worthy of being "stickied"? I think it is, in my humble opinion.
    I have a hard time thinking of something that might be more important to keep readily available to the entire climbing community. Thanks for listening.

Tim

Muggs likes this.
  13. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Well-Known Member

Thank you for putting this together. I just bought it and I love it. I wish I had this 12 years ago when I started and I had to teach myself how to climb and do the work.

14. Muggs

Muggs Well-Known Member

Yessir, 'The Fundamentals' is a classic by any standard. We've sold over 200 copies since it came out at Thanksgiving, people are loving Jerry's book!

TimBr likes this.
  15. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Well-Known Member

The PDF is great because I can read it in my office and it looks like I am reviewing project specs. Only joking. Still the PDF is a good format.

TimBr likes this.