this is what happens when you tip tie a large vertical limb

Discussion in 'Awakenings' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Levi.CO

Levi.CO Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Stant82 likes this.
  2. BRT

BRT Well-Known Member

Done right because------it's more about where the rigging point is in relation to the tip-tie. The distance & angle between the two were the "bad actors" in this scenario.

And--as has already been pointed out: this wasn't truly 'tip' tied.

*Like the thread, btw. Thanks Daniel.

Levi.CO likes this.
  3. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

That is an excellent video.... it shows some good tip tying... however not all pieces were tip tied , showing that its not always needed or desirable... Vid also shows EXCELLENT coordination with the groundie... And taking out some large pieces/whole trees, with the tip tie being the only way to take them that big and how that can be easier to handle large pieces on the ground..

There are many moments of great finesse in that video.... so much so that most of it would go unrecognized by the average joe tree cutter... Precision and control, well placed overhead anchor points (blocks) and good cuts, and excellent roping by the groundies... AWESOME WORK... a fine example of high level skills and experience....

The only problem with video is that some rookie is going to see it and try to emulate the tip tie without understanding the ALL the expertise behind the rigging... Which brings us to the Human video... and he;s not the only one.. I've seen a lot of videos many by highly respected pros that show unneeded tip tying which creates unnecessary danger... and in some cases close to fatal results...

For me tip tying is a rare event.... almost never needed...... while we all have different styles based on equipment, skill set, types of trees, and the topography of the work space, I think there is way too much unneeded tip tying .... unless you need the clearance a but tie or a slightly tip heavy near balance tie off is a much better choice than a tip tie....

4. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

@Levi.CO I Miss you and your bros video footage thread. What did you call it, footage from the frontier or something?

5. tc262

tc262 Well-Known Member

I remember it, it was Front Range. Was good stuff.

Levi.CO likes this.
  6. TheArborMan

TheArborMan Active Member

Daniel is the man, he knows his shit. Moving on from trees would be the best advice this guy could get! It wasn't a mistake or a retard moment. It was a fundamental lack of tree guy knowledge along with no fucki*g clue he was putting himself right in the line of fire. It probably took him some time to orchestrate his own death trap. Ohh and he had time to get video from multiple angles!!! Unreal...

Someone pay him to condense his youtube channel into one compilation video of how not to start your tree career.

TheTreeManJason and rico like this.
  7. Fairfield

Fairfield Well-Known Member

My main concern with Human is that it seems that each time I see one of his videos it has something to do with some "extreme" situation or something that shows the "what can go wrong". It's not that I don't know that this goes on everyday in the industry but when this is a bit of a trend with a person and then he or she is then shown promoting or reviewing equipment sponsored by one means or another from a company it gives an impression to younger or new workers that this is ok or right some how. I don't think he is out to do some of these things purposely or in the least I hope not. Although he has an odd video trail now up to his horrible accident. Some things can be seen coming unfortunately.

Magnum783, Stant82, NE Tree and 2 others like this.
  8. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

The near misses were predictors of the inevitable incident. That he's more concerned with getting footage and looking good for the camera ( i.e., no PPE) is another.

CutHighnLetFly likes this.
  9. Fairfield

I think he is using ppe helmet glasses I believe I seen chaps in a vid as well. It’s just the accidents and techniques go hand in hand. I don’t want to bash him for showing his mistakes and what not, but at a certain point we need to all put the camera down and concentrate more on doing things right rather then am I getting it on vid to share.

hseII, treehumper and Tyler Durden like this.
  10. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

Watched on of his recent videos on YouTube and he was working lights to his truck and goofed it up, I can only assume it was because he was slightly distracted by narrating and videographing. It was very similar to watching his tree work videos

11. Levi.CO

Thanks Andre, miss your vids too. I simply lost interest in making them, tried to do one the other day but just tossed the camera out 15 minutes into the job. :coffe: Yeah, it was frontrange tree work, or somethin like that.

swingdude and CutHighnLetFly like this.
  12. Levi.CO

Thanks, Tom. Was fun while it lasted.:rock:

13. TheTreeManJason

TheTreeManJason New Member

I stumbled upon that video in a YouTube deep-dive one night. What I find odd is every other video he has multiple cameras rolling all the time, but in this particular one, he has no footage of the fall itself? Makes one wonder if he did something really stupid to fall and didn't want to show it. And if that is the case, it had to be BAD because he shows all kinds of stupid stuff he does!

TreeVB likes this.
  14. swingdude

swingdude De' Island Buzzer

Oh boy that is some really bad rigging....this guy for being really personable in his vids just does not understand simple physics....his fall was painful to watch to say the least...I hope he has learned valuable lessons and can move past it....stop taking vid and pay attention....

deevo likes this.
  15. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

VERY unlikely, but certainly possible... A pruning job like that makes for really boring video, so he probably just didn't bother... I think he would have shown the mistake, but hey I've been called naive my whole life.

16. Raven27

Raven27 Active Member

This video is from that "human" idiot. Every time I see one of his videos pop up on YouTube I find at least a couple thing I certainly wouldn't do. And by no means am I perfect, but this guy gets a shitload of views and people comment, loving his videos. He's very full of himself. I just don't watch any of his stuff anymore, glad he's not in my area.

17. SuperK

SuperK Active Member

Watching these videos of accidents/mistakes always makes me wonder when i am going to goof up. You guys every wonder that?

18. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

Every day

SuperK likes this.
  19. Fairfield

It will happen eventually.... poke a lion enough it will bite. I can attest to this. But at the same time , when it happens over and over to one person there is more to it

SuperK and Raven27 like this.
  20. rico

rico Well-Known Member

Living proof that all that fly looking, super cool, shiny PPE won’t help much if you are doing stupid shit. Moral of the story-don’t do stupid shit!