This is the Akimbo

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by JMerritt, Oct 22, 2015.

1. colb

colb Well-Known Member

If you don't go full steampunk on it, darken the clear aluminum just a tad and add a touch of omni block orange. :love:

Greg_L and JeffGu like this.
  2. JMerritt

JMerritt Well-Known Member

Gordon and his YouTube videos can be directly credited with inspiring the Akimbo. I never would have tried to make something like it had I not seen him doing it first. Gordon was generous enough to let me tinker with his device previous to the BDB. That taught me a lot about how a mechanical device behaves and how making one can be done without fancy tools. I owe gordon a huge debt of gratitude for helping to inspire me and for being nothing but helpful and friendly to me along the way.

Treezybreez, Pelorus, TimBr and 9 others like this.
  3. surveyor

surveyor Well-Known Member

Likewise, I would never have embarked on mechanicals had I never seen Morgans Unicender and the whole concept of the offset grip provided by his idea.
    Also incorporating a solid spine, in place of the tether, and what is essentially a rope wrench above, based on Kevins idea and the RR were essential.

Treezybreez, Pelorus, TimBr and 6 others like this.
  4. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

And we’re all better off thanks to everyone.

chiselbit, TimBr and surveyor like this.
  5. evo

evo Well-Known Member

awww group hug~! Smooches to the innovators!

Tuebor, TimBr and Worthaug like this.
  6. colb

colb Well-Known Member

The weird thing to me is that these evolved out of a Ddrt climbing mileau. The phrase "the rw is like the limb that travels with you" is a ddrt -> srt thought process. To me, coming straight in to the arboriculture industry five years ago as an srt climber of caving/rock climbing background, all of the rr/rw/bdb/Akimbo devices look like rappel racks used by cavers. The (very innovative) difference, of course, being that they "flop" into passiveness on ascent. They could have evolved from caving, but cavers do not have the pressure that arborists have to frequently and efficiently change over from ascent to descent.

I also wonder why the rope access sector did not create these, and wonder if it has to do with their need to frequently access points above 120° below dual anchor horizons, like directly underneath the middle of a bridge. I follow a rope access IG account, but have yet to see one of our devices in use... Do you think RE might be able to market the Akimbo, with its official safety rating, in that sector, @JMerritt ?

TimBr and JeffGu like this.
  7. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Where else can you see this many innovators (with mutual respect for each other and not squabbling about who did what first) on one site? Hell, I've seen year long squabbles on other sites over friction hitches that read like a grade school name calling contest. I can't help but think that the overall atmosphere on the BuzzBoard is more conducive to progress than any other forums I've scoured.

We have great administrators on the board, great members/visitors, some highly educated and talented people... and a "let's get this thing rolling" attitude. The only thing I can say negative about it, is that the admins are a little lax about chasing off the riff-raff... I've been here for 3 years and they still haven't gotten around to banning me. But still, a great place to see change and innovation take place in real time!

8. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Steve, I have to say.... I agree completely, I don't think I stated it well in the video, but the reason I chose to show the latest cBdB I have seen from Gordon, is because I am really digging the modifications he is doing. I feel like we all win when someone shares a great idea, someone else makes an improvement, and then the original person builds on that. And if that idea is something that can be built and sold at each iteration of improvement to support the work of the innovators, then we all win again.

I may need to be schooled on this, but my observation is that for full mechanicals, the RR hit a home run, the BDB built on that, the Akimbo took that and made it sexy, now the BDB is already surging toward the next awesome mutation. (I left out the ZZ and the others because I am just not as familiar). I can't say the new BDB is an improvement for me because I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. This vid was very Akimbo focused, but no disrespect meant to Gordon or anyone else that is taking us all on amazing rides.

Oh, FYI - That's a hank of your old puke laying on the table through the video (y)

TimBr likes this.
  9. FreeFallin

Totally true man, it fell out of my pocket the other day on the couch and my wife said "why do you have an Akimbo... oh nevermind.", she knew there was a perfectly good reason, she just wasn't up for hearing it :nocausagracia:

colb and JeffGu like this.
  10. FreeFallin

Amen to that! I'm a member on all the forums but I keep injuring my eyes rolling them at some of the shinnanigans on the others.

treehumper likes this.
  11. FreeFallin

Mmmmmm, bacon.:popcorn:

12. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

I think the reason the admins havent banned you is because every once in a while you come out with nuggets of wisdom such as this.

13. Crimsonking

Crimsonking Well-Known Member

Regarding colors- black and anything- my personal favorite is purple.

14. Steve Connally

I'll have to rewatch to see my puke. I ought to ask for it back since I can't find a rope i'm happy with these days. I know you mean no disrespect. I just felt the need to say something. I really didn't need but you know. I don't know about the new bDb. I'm still rocking one from the first 200 posts.

colb likes this.
  15. therianclimber

therianclimber Well-Known Member

Flat black and purple would look amazing.

FreeFallin likes this.
  16. FreeFallin

Steve, you need to. This stuff is going to sit out here in the webbernet clouds for years. If somebody gets it wrong we all need to make sure it gets corrected.

I'm not saying I won't just ignore you and then talk smack behind your back, but still, do speak out.
    :burlas:

Climotocross and TimBr like this.
  17. Steve Connally

please do

FreeFallin likes this.
  18. Scottyrunner100

Scottyrunner100 Member

Steve, I believe the older cbdb can be retrofitted with the new adjustable top arm.
    It would be interesting to hear your opinion if you tried the new adjustable bdb. I've read a few comparisons between the bone & the akimbo, but the comparisons have been with the 3 bollard version. Since you have used the older version and an akimbo, your review of the adjustable top arm would be a good read.
    I don't climb near as often as other buzzers, and I haven't had an akimbo in my possession. I did get to demo a prototype for a few short up & downs only and I found it took a while to get it adjusted to the rope and me. I done the same with an older bdb before purchasing the adjustable bone. With the abdb I can have all my SRT compatible lines side by side and go thru them all adjusting to each one quickly and easily. With the set screw you can really dial in the friction, whether you like a quick stop when descending or a "sliding" stop.

TimBr, FreeFallin and Steve Connally like this.
  19. Steve Connally

id love to try it!!

20. therianclimber

therianclimber Well-Known Member