This is the Akimbo

treehumper

That's my thought on the tending point as well. On my RR it gets pulled to one side and often inhibits the tending. I didn't really spend much time at RE as it wasn't on my target list this year.

FreeFallin

Without having tried a runner, the Akimbo has a much lower profile. I don't think the off center tending will affect it as much. There is only about 1.5" between the anchor point and the tending point.

John_KAYS

It will be interesting to see what the final version looks like and behaves. Like everything else on the market there will be lovers and haters of it. I am lucky enough to have an R&D model from Jamie that I tweeked to something I love. I also own one of the GoFund me versions that I rode a few times and liked so much I lent it to Mert 6 or 8 months ago. I personally am not a big fan of the concaved faces and it looks like the RE version has had them made more predominant. I also question why you would only put the new tending hole on one side. Yes it works as does the RR with its off center tending point, but how many discussions & mods have been made to tend the RR from the centerline.

Okay, start the hating now lol. I am not at the show but if I was there I would be asking RE and Jamie the same questions. Anyone there may feel free to ask or show them this message.
I see what you are saying about the tending point, but it is no where near as off center as the rope runner. I will have to try that one to see how bothered I am in function.
A7502FD3-F890-48C7-A15C-A96C90BE7EEF.jpeg

So you are saying why didn’t they just add the same hole to the other arm too.

monkeylove

Yes I am John. I am sure it works as is and there is probably a reason why they did it that way. However if it was in center it just eliminated they "why is it off center" question. My thought is that they want a small biner to be clipped there. The hole size makes sense for that and putting it on one side makes the loop thickness work for most biner noses.

deevo

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171105/1f896366647f674d775996744c2b7704.jpg[/IMG @magnum783 hooked me up with a loaner can’t wait to try it out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum783

Yes I am John. I am sure it works as is and there is probably a reason why they did it that way. However if it was in center it just eliminated they "why is it off center" question. My thought is that they want a small biner to be clipped there. The hole size makes sense for that and putting it on one side makes the loop thickness work for most biner noses.
Frank
They didn’t put it on both as having it on one allows you to leave it attached to you neck ascender, loop runner, or ..... and remove it from the rope to make an adjustment, pass a limb or ....... there was a device made with it in two and once it was realized that it didn’t allow it to stay attached to neck tether to the bin it went. The reason for the disposal of the clevis is prevents someone from attaching it MRS. Hope that helps clarify.
Also for those that’s weren’t there or didn’t notice the upper eccentric pin is now a bit more of a triangle to allow for a more consistent contact between the upper bollard and itself.

FreeFallin

No big revelations here, just having some fun and starting a series of videos to bring together the hundreds of pages of forum discussions and add my own obsessive thoughts about the Akimbo. This one is a ramble on the current design and upcoming Rock Exotica release. The usual silliness is included.

monkeylove

Frank
They didn’t put it on both as having it on one allows you to leave it attached to you neck ascender, loop runner, or ..... and remove it from the rope to make an adjustment, pass a limb or ....... there was a device made with it in two and once it was realized that it didn’t allow it to stay attached to neck tether to the bin it went. The reason for the disposal of the clevis is prevents someone from attaching it MRS. Hope that helps clarify.
Also for those that’s weren’t there or didn’t notice the upper eccentric pin is now a bit more of a triangle to allow for a more consistent contact between the upper bollard and itself.
Thanks for the clarification Jared. I figured there had to be a reason for what they did. Makes more sense now that you explained the thinking behind it.

No big revelations here, just having some fun and starting a series of videos to bring together the hundreds of pages of forum discussions and add my own obsessive thoughts about the Akimbo. This one is a ramble on the current design and upcoming Rock Exotica release. The usual silliness is included.

Great video I'm even more excited now! :reloco:

Great video, thanks for taking the time.

I love the first line....

JMerritt

hi guys! Im sorry TCIA wasn't as revelatory as everyone expected. if anyone is wondering im still very much involved with the Rock Exotica model and there have been so many decisions to make with the design that i never really thought about before. still in the mindset of making sure everything is right as possible over rush to release. Spring 2018 is the goal.
the black version posted has a bunch of small changes that i made based on feedback ive gotten both from RE and everyone using the silver model (i love the black/green btw!). ill run down the changes real quick:
the shackle is gone so it cannot be mistaken for a primary attachment point. i had a lot of people ask if it was and it seemed better to eliminate the confusion. it doesnt mirror on the other spine because it would then be too thick to pass the nose of some micro biners. it is less than .25" offset from the centerline of the device. also getting rid of the shackle makes assembly easier and costs less, that means it can retail for less.
the top bollard has a different shape to make for a wider range in adjustment as well as making each adjustment position a uniform distance from the next. that should make tuning easier.
both cams have deeper faces. i found that most of the dragging people were complaining about on ascent was coming from the rope rubbing on the top edges of the cams. this change makes slack tending smoother.
you cant really tell from the pictures but i also changed the angle of the top cam to get it to perform better in wet weather.

color scheme hasnt been decided yet. im open to suggestions. i hope that covers most of it. cheers

JMerritt

right now RE has their engineer going over the design to make sure all the critical components are either overbuilt or have a redundant backup component. were looking at where we can use rivets and where we need fasteners that are removable.

btw, when i said the cams have a deeper cove they still have the same radius cove. does that make sense?

JMerritt

i love this!

NE Tree

Killer shirt man! :D great vid as well

Great video. I’m loving what you have to say but..... the statement the BDB is “catching up” to the akimbo. It may be nitpicking but give Credit where Credit is due. The BDB predates the akimbo by quite a bit. How generous of Gordon to share and and perhaps contribute to the development of th Akimbo. Please take this constructively because it’s not mean in any way negative to anyone. I think it’s great! Collaboration is win win for everyone.

JMerritt

Great video. I’m loving what you have to say but..... the statement the BDB is “catching up” to the akimbo. It may be nitpicking but give Credit where Credit is due. The BDB predates the akimbo by quite a bit. How generous of Gordon to share and and perhaps contribute to the development of th Akimbo. Please take this constructively because it’s not mean in any way negative to anyone. I think it’s great! Collaboration is win win for everyone.
Gordon and his YouTube videos can be directly credited with inspiring the Akimbo. I never would have tried to make something like it had I not seen him doing it first. Gordon was generous enough to let me tinker with his device previous to the BDB. That taught me a lot about how a mechanical device behaves and how making one can be done without fancy tools. I owe gordon a huge debt of gratitude for helping to inspire me and for being nothing but helpful and friendly to me along the way.