This is the Akimbo

southsoundtree

Without walking out to the frozen hell that is outside looking at my Akimbo on the table it looks like it will take a large maybe, and definitely a delta

When it's 80 degrees in the house, by the fire, it seems that way, but its 32* and snowing here.
That being said, its still pajama time, here, and my coffee cup is empty, waiting for a storm call, chained up 4 ways in my 2wd.

(crackly old man voice)
"When I was a boy, it was -80*F wind-chill factor one winter! They said you'd have frostbite on exposed skin in 3 seconds. Don't go out if you don't need to...it'll be uphill, both ways!"

P.S. download Netflix while there is internet service. I figured that out the other night.

John@TreeXP

Would someone mind checking if the RE version tending point will accept a small or medium Maillon Rapide Delta quick link? Thanks
Small maybe, medium probably not. I've found that it won't hold a standard size and not many traditional wiregate accessory carabiners either. There's room for a Dmm micro, and the RE micro carabiner hits the limit. The Kong micro carabiner is too big too. It fits but it jams and bypasses the safety feature altogether, because it cannot pop out of the hook's wire gate safety release, without opening the carabiner itself. It's unsafe, in other words.

Last edited:

evo

evo

Has anybody tried tending their akimbo from the main attachment point?

It looks like it might work well.
I was looking at that as well. Actually tending it from the corner trap. I do think I remember a warning not to do this, as it interferes with the lower cam grabbing.

treegongfu

Jamie may have tried it and dismissed it, but I think their should be enough slack in the system to allow everything to work when you sit back.
Won't your chest harness tending point also be applying a downward force on the main attachment point when you sit into the akimbo?

I think the only consideration would be does it tend nicely from the main attachment point, or does that orient it in such a way as to add friction?

Also, the official tending spot looks so slick you wouldn't want to leave it unused.

evo

Jamie may have tried it and dismissed it, but I think their should be enough slack in the system to allow everything to work when you sit back.
Won't your chest harness tending point also be applying a downward force on the main attachment point when you sit into the akimbo?

I think the only consideration would be does it tend nicely from the main attachment point, or does that orient it in such a way as to add friction?

Also, the official tending spot looks so slick you wouldn't want to leave it unused.
yes and that is exactly why the tending point was redesigned to be a 'break away' because if too much weight is applied to the spine it can do bad things

Greg_L

Used it briefly in a work climb today. I found myself beneath my main tip, with my rope going through a natural crotch redirect further out towards the canopy's edge. Sidn't want the redirect anymore, so I took my akimbo off the rope, snagged the rope with my DMM hook, and pulled it back through the redirect. No snagging, no stopper knots below my climbing system...just took it off, pulled it through, and put it back on.

Glorious.

Raven

Sorry to hear your pain, I remember "the wait". But it is worth it! Somewhere in Utah there's a chunk of aluminum being milled to fit your hands right now.

I finally got to put this thing to work and I really love it. So many good qualities, where to start?
The best is maybe how easy it goes on/off rope once you get the muscle memory. It's sooo much faster than tying a hitch. To be clear I've been a dedicated Rope Wrencher for a long time now, I've tried all the others and will occasionally use a Unicender or Petzl Rig but I like the feel of a hitch. The Akimbo has just changed that! (I was spending roughly $200/yr on spliced hitches - no more)

It's the same type of device as Rope Runner and Bulldog Bone but way more refined IMO. Also it very clearly states right on the device: "Expert use only", this is important and not just a slogan - if you're new to climbing and not familiar with all the various hitches and mechanicals and nuances of different techniques then you will probably be confused and dislike it right off the bat. Like anything new you have to give it a chance and maybe modify your climbing style just a bit.

Can't see the adjusting pins? - A little spot of fingernail polish on the head of the bolt works a treat. Maybe RE will add this themselves in future renditions.

DMM grommet fits perfectly in the attachment hole giving a nice snug fit for your biner. I'm considering a permanent bridge attachment to shorten the whole system cuz you never really need to open the biner or take it off the bridge except for cleaning and storage.

Can't stand the quick release tending hole? - Change your style slightly and it's no problem. I too struggled at first but I simply moved my tether higher up on my chest harness now no problems at all - it may even turn out to be better time will tell.

I love how short it is when on the rope, great for up close spar positioning.

Don't get too hung up on the settings, I've found that sometimes I want to adjust the setting mid climb which is super easy anyway. And every climber will have different settings due to weight difference and technique/comfort level.

I haven't found my "perfect" rope yet but I think it might be Kernmaster - I have to get a hank of Scandere to try as well. It works quite well with Fly also. I discovered that it prefers a rope with a soft lay that is easily flexible - I did not like the action with Xstatic or my older KMIII, but maybe another climber will have a different result. The beauty is it can be adjusted to work well with almost any rope - just practice low and slow and have a little patience and an open mind.

I think it's good practice to have a secondary descender on harness just in case you encounter a problem mid-climb.

Overall I'm very satisfied, kudos to RE for finally delivering an amazing device. And big thanks to Jaime and all of his climbing friends who gave feedback on the originals to help refine this beast into a thing of beauty - Akimbo rocks! :rock:

RyTheTreeGuy

I agree with Raven...I am coming from a rope wrench and predominately hitch style climbing. I must preface this by stating I have never used anything mechanical, except a zig zag. I am very impressed by the quality and functionality of the Akimbo. Everything just works like it should....as long as you have the correct rope for you. I have done some test ascent/rappells on Poison Hyvee and it was silky smooth as butter once I got it dialed in. I believe I ended up fully closed on both bollards (185 lbs no gear). I would say that is compresses the jacket a fair bit in this rope and after 10 or so rappels on the same 10 ft section it eventually started to slip. Once I worked the jacket back to somewhat normal good to go again (or tried a different section of rope).

I also tried it on 13 mm Sterling super static...no bueno. Very very difficult to break even wide open. I recognize that this is a very rope specific device, but once you find your match it seems like it will be a match made in heaven.

evo

Sorry to hear your pain, I remember "the wait". But it is worth it! Somewhere in Utah there's a chunk of aluminum being milled to fit your hands right now.

I finally got to put this thing to work and I really love it. So many good qualities, where to start?
The best is maybe how easy it goes on/off rope once you get the muscle memory. It's sooo much faster than tying a hitch. To be clear I've been a dedicated Rope Wrencher for a long time now, I've tried all the others and will occasionally use a Unicender or Petzl Rig but I like the feel of a hitch. The Akimbo has just changed that! (I was spending roughly $200/yr on spliced hitches - no more)

It's the same type of device as Rope Runner and Bulldog Bone but way more refined IMO. Also it very clearly states right on the device: "Expert use only", this is important and not just a slogan - if you're new to climbing and not familiar with all the various hitches and mechanicals and nuances of different techniques then you will probably be confused and dislike it right off the bat. Like anything new you have to give it a chance and maybe modify your climbing style just a bit.

Can't see the adjusting pins? - A little spot of fingernail polish on the head of the bolt works a treat. Maybe RE will add this themselves in future renditions.

DMM grommet fits perfectly in the attachment hole giving a nice snug fit for your biner. I'm considering a permanent bridge attachment to shorten the whole system cuz you never really need to open the biner or take it off the bridge except for cleaning and storage.

Can't stand the quick release tending hole? - Change your style slightly and it's no problem. I too struggled at first but I simply moved my tether higher up on my chest harness now no problems at all - it may even turn out to be better time will tell.

I love how short it is when on the rope, great for up close spar positioning.

Don't get too hung up on the settings, I've found that sometimes I want to adjust the setting mid climb which is super easy anyway. And every climber will have different settings due to weight difference and technique/comfort level.

I haven't found my "perfect" rope yet but I think it might be Kernmaster - I have to get a hank of Scandere to try as well. It works quite well with Fly also. I discovered that it prefers a rope with a soft lay that is easily flexible - I did not like the action with Xstatic or my older KMIII, but maybe another climber will have a different result. The beauty is it can be adjusted to work well with almost any rope - just practice low and slow and have a little patience and an open mind.

I think it's good practice to have a secondary descender on harness just in case you encounter a problem mid-climb.

Overall I'm very satisfied, kudos to RE for finally delivering an amazing device. And big thanks to Jaime and all of his climbing friends who gave feedback on the originals to help refine this beast into a thing of beauty - Akimbo rocks! :rock:
Well said and sums up all my thoughts