This is the Akimbo

Steve Connally

I'm interested in watching your results. I still haven't ridden mine. I have 2 new focus lines and a new blue moon. I'm hoping I din't have to spring for yet another new rope just for the Akimbo but if so then I guess that's what i'll have to do.

RyTheTreeGuy

Akimbo in hand...super stoked to test this thing out. First mechanical so am excited and nervous all at the same time. Can't believe how smooth the actions are and the quality seems to be top notch. Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow in the warmth of the apparatus bay at work. Will be testing it out on some sherill poison hyvee and some sterling static 13 mm

Attachments

danimal3

Question that perhaps @JMerritt can answer. The Akimbo is designed for ropes 11.5-13mm according to the device, but the 11.1mm Fly is on the list of "approved" ropes. Any particular reason for this or to think another 11mm line won't work as well? I ask because I'm looking to get a new rope and would need something from the plus-sized list, but still prefer the smaller diameters.

EDIT: Also, anyone flown the Akimbo on Fly and have any opinions on it.

Sent from my LG-V533 using Tapatalk
I tried many ropes with the GFM unit and found Fly to be the best Rope for my needs. Now with just a couple climbs into the RE version on a fresh hank of Fly - I love it just the same, it’s good and buttery.
- My weight without saddle #150

Raven

Nice gym there @danimal3 What is your preferred setting on new Fly? I'm at a D3 on used and fluffy Dragonfly indoors, no actual work climb yet but this is the line I'm leaning towards.

evo

Good to know that at least one person is reading the manual;)
She got further than I did.

Just curious if you have any insight on the rope testing methods RE came up with for the approved list. Wondering what the criteria, method, and safety factor is.
Drop tests?
Static pulls?

JMerritt

She got further than I did.

Just curious if you have any insight on the rope testing methods RE came up with for the approved list. Wondering what the criteria, method, and safety factor is.
Drop tests?
Static pulls?
both drop and static. mostly drops as i understand it. the breaking strength of the akimbo is somewhat irrelevant to the working load as the akimbo slips long before it nears breaking.

evo

Would someone mind checking if the RE version tending point will accept a small or medium Maillon Rapide Delta quick link? Thanks
Without walking out to the frozen hell that is outside looking at my Akimbo on the table it looks like it will take a large maybe, and definitely a delta

Scottyrunner100

Without walking out to the frozen hell that is outside looking at my Akimbo on the table it looks like it will take a large maybe, and definitely a delta
Thanks, I was just curious if it would fit. Haven't got mine yet, after seeing Jamie's video on the LOTS was thinking of trying a delta or small pear maillon along with this https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=223&item=1956.
To use as an adjustable tending point and double as a type of CE Lanyard thimble prusik.