This bumper sticker: Tastefully comical or childishly insulting?

samsquatch

I put this on the window of the work truck, but I'm debating myself removing it. I'm not particularly sensitive to how other people think of me (especially any self-righteous liberal rioters) but I don't want customers to roll their eyes when they see this, and I don't want the windows to get smashed out. What's your opinion?
I'm not mocking tree lovers, because I am one myself. I guess I'm mocking the stigma that tree services might not love trees... I'm fairly certain that if this were a similar sticker on a fur trapping truck, PETA libs would have already destroyed it.

ATH

I would not put anything even remotely political, can be deemed offensive, or can get someones feelers hurt on a work truck, especially one to do bids. Your there to make a sale, and anything that can come in the way of that is not good.
This.

Myself, I'd call it tactfully comical...and I get it. We've wrestled with loving trees, but needing to remove them sometimes. Not everyone has or can think through that logically.

rico

I put this on the window of the work truck, but I'm debating myself removing it. I'm not particularly sensitive to how other people think of me (especially any self-righteous liberal rioters) but I don't want customers to roll their eyes when they see this, and I don't want the windows to get smashed out. What's your opinion?
View attachment 58944
I'm not mocking tree lovers, because I am one myself. I guess I'm mocking the stigma that tree services might not love trees... I'm fairly certain that if this were a similar sticker on a fur trapping truck, PETA libs would have already destroyed it.
I was a production logger for a couple decades and have worked in clearcuts the size of some cities. I worked for a few season with an outfit on the Olympic Peninsula back during the great owl scare. I sported a bumper sticker on my pickup that read as follows- “Wood and paper products no longer available. Kindly wipe your ass with a Spotted Owl.” Not very subtle to say the least, and deservedly I would catch seriously grief when I returned to California for the winter.

Those experiences turned me into somewhat of a treehugger. Sure I still make a living removing trees, but I do it in the most conscientious way that I can. I work strictly by word of mouth and talk exponentially more folks out of removing their trees than the opposite.
99% of the trees we remove are turned into lumber by us for local consumption, thus lessening the need for outside lumber to be used. No unknown logging practices. No need for long distance transport and all the resources consumed in the process. Beautiful native lumber is produced. Larger mill-ends are turned into firewood and offered as free BTU’s to keep people in the community warm in the winter, and the smaller mill-ends are turned into chips for soil amendment, mulch, and ground over.

If your bumper sticker makes you happy I say keep it on. Most of the folks that are going to take offense never give a second thought to amount of wood and paper product they actually consume in a year, or the impact and resources that are involved in getting that shit to their front door.
As they say, “fuck em if they can’t take a joke.”

PS. Where did you get that sticker? I want one!

Last edited:

TallTreeClimber

I would do it, but I'm known for doing crazy in your face stuff like that. Don't be me. It's cost me at times, but I don't give a shit.

samsquatch

As they say, “fuck em if they can’t take a joke.”

PS. Where did you get that sticker? I want one!
I know right...
rico I was hoping you'd respond with your experience, and I was predicting your response too :). I found it on ebay while browsing for STIHL stickers. just search the words and you can find it.

I think I'll remove it. I think you guys are right, gotta respect my audience especially when they're the ones paying me.

Burrapeg

I don't think a person has to be a crazed liberal to find this a bit offensive. Anybody who loves trees will question this and, if these people are potential future customers, it doesn't make good business sense to create a negative impression.

rico

I know right...
rico I was hoping you'd respond with your experience, and I was predicting your response too :). I found it on ebay while browsing for STIHL stickers. just search the words and you can find it.

I think I'll remove it. I think you guys are right, gotta respect my audience especially when they're the ones paying me.
what % of your business is removals?

samsquatch

I don't think a person has to be a crazed liberal to find this a bit offensive.
No, you're right this has nothing to do with political orientation. It's a matter of, among other things: 1) one's sensitivity 2) one's quickness to assume hostility and 3) one's lack of open-mindedness and inability to let other people be other people....
When those people are paying the invoices, it pays to not make them roll their eyes.. I guess?

Last edited:

CanaryBoss

View attachment 58944
Can you send me one of those. I will gladly pay

JD3000

Most well-known member
Makes me think of the solicitors I get offering to top or spray my trees. They don't notice my ISA stickers or shirts.

rico

The end results of many of our jobs is also a nicely pruned tree.
I understand that, but what do you think the average tree co is doing as far as pruning vs removal, % wise? I don’t know the answer, but am curious.
I also think the general public understands that tree service/arborists spend a lot of their time doing removals. I would go so far as to suggest that the average homeowner is more likely to give us a call to remove a tree that they are worried about than a call to prune their tree. Who knows?

Last edited:

Mowerr

Agree and there's no shortage of guys out there strictly for the money and don't like doing trim jobs so they push to remove everything. Definatly most guys do more removals than trims around here upstate NY.