The Shultz Effect

skygear

yes, soon-ish. it's a slow process cuz work, life, etc, etc.
as will be stated in the intro, i dont feel am not qualified to teach people rigging over the internet from scratch. there are many greats books, dvds, demos and in person trainers for that. i do feel i can speak on urban rigging, which is what the series will be about. we'll focus on those tight quarter no run jobs where there's no other trees to use, no calvary, no crane and seemingly no options. there'll also be a fair amount of case study analysis.
hope to have it done some time this winter...
killer. I'm picking up lots of new gear with the sales going on right now. glad things are setting in place for you to be able to work on things.

I pulled the whole series and made room on my 400GB SDXC card for it on my phone.

CanadianStan

killer. I'm picking up lots of new gear with the sales going on right now. glad things are setting in place for you to be able to work on things.

I pulled the whole series and made room on my 400GB SDXC card for it on my phone.
Right ?? I’ve been in tree care for 5 years and I’ve never noticed Black Friday sales like the ones this year ... is this new or is my gear addiction worsening ?

skygear

Exactly! Would have been nice to have a "pro" in the know sitting next to me while I'm looking at some of the new stuff. I called and asked about the new Notch Gargoyle rigging line. It's so new, no one's even used it yet. I was going to grab 200' of it and a few $K more but these pre orders are freaking me out too. Akimbo finally coming out. Treemotion Evo about to ship. Some items I've been keeping an eye out for are back ordered. Decisions decisions!

CanadianStan

Exactly! Would have been nice to have a "pro" in the know sitting next to me while I'm looking at some of the new stuff. I called and asked about the new Notch Gargoyle rigging line. It's so new, no one's even used it yet. I was going to grab 200' of it and a few $K more but these pre orders are freaking me out too. Akimbo finally coming out. Treemotion Evo about to ship. Some items I've been keeping an eye out for are back ordered. Decisions decisions!
KK2 Kickstarter is up as well. SENAs are discounted, retrievable rigging slings are cheap, and then there’s all the damn new gear coming up for sale on TreeBuzz ... my bank account is suffering for real

TimBr

@CanadianStan; Thanks for the answers, Stan. Also for the great links. It looks like a great product in the making, but too rich for my blood at the moment. I appreciate the head's up. I was wondering if you've heard or read any reviews for the stuff this guy has already produced? He really looks like he knows what he's doing. I wish him success. He's already surpassed his funding target.

Tim

CanadianStan

@CanadianStan; Thanks for the answers, Stan. Also for the great links. It looks like a great product in the making, but too rich for my blood at the moment. I appreciate the head's up. I was wondering if you've heard or read any reviews for the stuff this guy has already produced? He really looks like he knows what he's doing. I wish him success. He's already surpassed his funding target.

Tim
There are lots of guys out there who swear by and love his stuff. Gecko / Distel have their own CF spurs, sans “spurcenders”

Other companies are making similar spur mounted attachments for other spur brands.

The one thing I disliked with the carbon fiber spurs that I tried in the past, was that the bottom shank is so thick that it sticks out further than your boot. Annoying while moving around the tree. That’s it. I’m currently climbing on bombproof steel spurs that weight about 5lbs a pop.

colb

I'll step in to redirect to my recent kiwi klimbers kick starter campaign thread. I'm liking my kk2s a lot. Worth the money to save my shins.

Pfanner man

i think that Notch Gargoyle is not really meant to be a traditional rigging line. it's a class II construction, like Amsteel II, high modulus fibers on the inside (ex: dyneema, technora), abrasion resistant cover on the outside. it's a high strength, low stretch, likely very stiff rope meant for static applications. again, i'm just guessing based on it's size, strength and price. there seems to be very little description about it anywhere which, imo, is irresponsible of whoever's selling it, ur just asking for people to misuse it...

skygear

i think that Notch Gargoyle is not really meant to be a traditional rigging line. it's a class II construction, like Amsteel II, high modulus fibers on the inside (ex: dyneema, technora), abrasion resistant cover on the outside. it's a high strength, low stretch, likely very stiff rope meant for static applications. again, i'm just guessing based on it's size, strength and price. there seems to be very little description about it anywhere which, imo, is irresponsible of whoever's selling it, ur just asking for people to misuse it...
Yep. My thoughts on it too. I pulled it from my cart and went a different direction. Just based off of the lack of info on it. Having both Sherrill and treestuff not knowledgeable on it and Notch site still in the works put the nail in the coffin on it for me. No whitepapers or anyone that had hands on with it either.

My company is working hard to assemble a comprehensive training program. I have not seen this content yet but I am certain we will integrate it. Thank you Lawrence for creating something better than anything that our domestic industry associations have been able to.

LordFarkwad

Got a question about the 'advancing from basal anchors' portion of the Schultz Effect...

Does Lawrence skip the part where he is yarding/flaking the tail over the new/target PSP, as he's advancing the basal anchor a couple times in the end of the vid? It seems like before you get to the point of needing to flip the side the SRT device is on, he's done some work to get set up for that, namely, already flipping the tail of the line up over the new/desired/target PSP. Only then would you unhook your main climbing system and pull it through the union.

Just checking to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

fall_risk

Got a question about the 'advancing from basal anchors' portion of the Schultz Effect...

Does Lawrence skip the part where he is yarding/flaking the tail over the new/target PSP, as he's advancing the basal anchor a couple times in the end of the vid? It seems like before you get to the point of needing to flip the side the SRT device is on, he's done some work to get set up for that, namely, already flipping the tail of the line up over the new/desired/target PSP. Only then would you unhook your main climbing system and pull it through the union.

Just checking to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
What section of the Schultz Effect are you talking about, and what time code? He does gloss over some things because he is covering so much, and some of those things he covers in passing are pure gold.

I can tell you that If you are advancing a basal anchor, but haven't reached your final TIP, you don't need to clear your whole tail:

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

dtreez

I bought the Schultz Effect a few months ago, and am trying to log back onto Gumroad to check it out, but am having trouble. Has anyone else had similar problems?