The Rope Runner sucks at sucking.

fall_risk

@fall_risk; What has been the effect of the baby bump on how your Rope Runner seems to behave? Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to provide.

Tim

P.S. Here is a link to the 4SRT cover for the Rope Runner.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=2062&item=17605
I'm 250lbs and I am still getting used to and breaking in my ropes. It feels like the baby bump has added a slight amount of more friction. Instead of sliding or coasting to a stop, I more or less stop sooner and breaking the beak seems to be easier.

I was happy to get it.
Baby bump sucks....plain and simple....I grinded that bump flat and polished it with some friction....lol...
Talltree kind of covered the difference that the bump made for me. For me, at 265-275 (+clothes and gear), the bird was pretty hard to break at first. I bombed out a bunch, and once the bollard started to wear a bit of a groove, everything came together.

I stopped using the runner for a while, b/c it started to get choppy or jumpy. Turns out the pulley sheave had frozen to one of the cheek plates. I'm not sure if it happened b/c the plate was turning against the axle nut gradually tightening it, or b/c I wasn't storing it as carefully as I should have, but the sheave had basically stopped turning on the axle, so my runner was pretty much a wrench sitting above the bottom of a hitch hiker.

Having that experience is why I'd love to try the bearing pulley if I can source one. Once I figured out what happened, I disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated the pulley. It's dreamy again.

Just like a hitch, mechanicals behave differently for different climbers. I'm sure the bump fouls things up for swingdude's little island bod, but it changes the relative friction of the bird and the plate in just the right way for me and my badonkadonk. Like Talltree, I frequently coast to a stop and have trouble breaking the bird open, and sometimes, stuff creeps on me. Different strokes I guess. If I remember, I'll take some pics of the the wear patterns on my runner.

If you're using a new runner, make sure you give it chance to wear in before you give up on it, especially if you're also using a new rope. As a big guy, I hate new, slick, unfurred rope.

Also, @Brocky, I see what you did there.

Last edited:

fall_risk

Here is the wear on my runner. Both bollards have a millimeter or three of groove. The bump plate (the pink one) only has half a dozen climbs on it, but I think from the difference in the wear patterns, the rope is getting bent over the bump, which probably accounts for how it makes the bird behave differently.

Anyone know if the bearing pulley is going to be restocked?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Here is the wear on my runner. Both bollards have a millimeter or three of groove. The bump plate (the pink one) only has half a dozen climbs on it, but I think from the difference in the wear patterns, the rope is getting bent over the bump, which probably accounts for how it makes the bird behave differently.

Anyone know if the bearing pulley is going to be restocked?

All normal wear @fall_risk . You will be good. Long ways til bollard rotation. Those friction plates now need work.

Again nice light wear.
Oh yeah thanks. I was just showing how light mine was compared to fallrisk. My bollards aren't in the least bit worn. I love this thing but wish a had a 1000' foot descent to use it on. I only get 10' - 70' at a time, and worse, I have to climb for 100x as long as I get to descend.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I never take a runner apart....ever....thread it on the rope. Been climbing on them for years....just ascend up the rope and bail out repeatedly.... I do it often when practicing open ascent.

treegongfu

I emailed treestuff about the bearing pulley but the person who responded didn't even know what I was talking about!

I tried to clarify and got no further correspondence on the matter.

But I would still like a couple of them.

TimBr

@treegongfu; I'm not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but I read a rumor that TreeStuff was switching the production of the Rope Runner to China. It appears to me that they may have failed to establish a new manufacturing stream of parts before canceling the original one. I think it has created a gap in coverage for the Rope Runner and most of its component parts.

Maybe @bonner1040 can chime in and correct me if I'm completely wrong about all of this. Your best bet to find a bearing pulley for the Rope Runner at the present time might exist on ebay.

Tim

fall_risk

All normal wear @fall_risk . You will be good. Long ways til bollard rotation. Those friction plates now need work.
Ha, right on swing, I was showing the bollards because I didn't like my runner's action as much until they wore in like that. I am very heavy for a climber (275ish), and I just swapped that stock plate for the baby bump, which has improved it even more.

I don't know about all that manufacturing origin stuff. I do know that Bonner has expressed a committment to US based manufacturing.

I'm Canadian.

I was considering pestering Bonner about it but I think he must be busy and I'm reluctant to add to his burden.

I want them for my homemade multiscenders.

fall_risk

^what kind of rope?

My baby bump has many many more climbs but shows less wear. I usually descend out of trees very slowly though. I have at least a dozen bomb outs on it though.
Mostly 11mm kernmaster. I do tend to bomb out whenever possible so I can show off my superhero landing (
), and as mentioned, I'm probably twice the woman you are (19 stone!). That all worked for me while I was wearing my runner in...we'll see about how that goes for longevity :)