The New Guy Bry.

rico

In case you haven't noticed, everything I do is Standard Operating Procedure. I'm a meat and potatoes climber, and I leave that fancy shit to much better tree-men than myself.

SoftBankHawks

In this setup the bull line is at a very steep angle so the Hobbs is offering almost no pulling power. With no real pulling power, snap cutting a 300-800 lbs piece of vertical wood is not something I care to do. Thats just me though?
As with face-cuts and strap hinges there are a variety of ways to approach step cuts. If it is cut to become ‘free’, which is easily and safely achievable on vertical timber, then a tiny amount of pull is all it takes to lift it or more rather ‘swipe’ it into the rigging. I predominately use this as it is fast and efficient, looks to me like it would suit your no bullshit approach to wrecking trees.

New2trees

In case you haven't noticed, everything I do is Standard Operating Procedure. I'm a meat and potatoes climber, and I leave that fancy shit to much better tree-men than myself.
I took my first year of youtube arborist training watching cowboy's cutting loose 300 lb chunks, spinning them as they swing and ring the spar a few feet from the guy in the tree.....I knew I could probably perform the same work myself albeit not nearly as quickly but also knew that was not something I ever wanted to try to learn.

Then I saw vids by people like you and saw how safely the same work could be accomplished with the use of good fundamentals and a lot of knowledge....Hell after watching some of your vids other than lacking the knowledge you make it look so easy I am confident that I could do the same thing.....then I look at your notches and cuts and some of mine and reality kicks me in the teeth :)

rico

I took my first year of youtube arborist training watching cowboy's cutting loose 300 lb chunks, spinning them as they swing and ring the spar a few feet from the guy in the tree.....I knew I could probably perform the same work myself albeit not nearly as quickly but also knew that was not something I ever wanted to try to learn.

Then I saw vids by people like you and saw how safely the same work could be accomplished with the use of good fundamentals and a lot of knowledge....Hell after watching some of your vids other than lacking the knowledge you make it look so easy I am confident that I could do the same thing.....then I look at your notches and cuts and some of mine and reality kicks me in the teeth :)
I appreciate the kind words New2trees, but I am doing nothing special. Just been doing it a long time, and have become very comfortable and confident in my routine.

southsoundtree

In this setup the bull line is at a very steep angle so the Hobbs is offering almost no pulling power. With no real pulling power, snap cutting a 300-800 lbs piece of vertical wood is not something I care to do. Thats just me though?
Magic cut---- deep kerf, beyond COG, on rigging tree side
Add snipe, retaining a FULL DUTCHMAN,
2nd kerf, back-cut, down lower than Cut 1. Self-releasing snap cut. No hinge to fight.

Thanks Gord, TB from days gone by!!

So Rico, you don't go up 3-4" per step, huh, like your wanting to get up there, or something.

rico

Magic cut---- deep kerf, beyond COG, on rigging tree side
Add snipe, retaining a FULL DUTCHMAN,
2nd kerf, back-cut, down lower than Cut 1. Self-releasing snap cut. No hinge to fight.

Thanks Gord, TB from days gone by!!

So Rico, you don't go up 3-4" per step, huh, like your wanting to get up there, or something.
The magic cut is a very cool cut and I know it well, but as I said I am not a fan of using any form of a snap cut on vertical wood that could beat me to death if it happened to release in the wrong direction. I view my hinge as a line of defense against having a log go backwards/sideways on me so I am not opposed to using/fighting it to slowly and smoothly get my wood to go where I intend it to go. Again, that is just me!!

I am usually in a big fucking hurry when I'm working, and spurring up a tree is no different. Eventually I will wise up and slow down a bit, or maybe I will be hauling ass up a spar when I'm 76 yrs old, and suddenly throw a rod and die right there on a spar? I could think of worse ways to go!!!