TazLov defective handle

This TazLoz went directly from the box it was shipped in- onto 11mm snakebite. I made four 15’ ascents/descents,on the way down my fourth descent I heard the crack! This is extremely disturbing to me for this device is one of few allowed in climbing competitions! I’ve put a ton of rope tools through hell and have never had a failure, and this shit happened right out the box.
I will say this the dealer I purchased from immediately shipped me a new one for no cost and ask me to return the defective one.
I’m a little freaked out about this near failure and Don’t feel I can trust this device. What do you all think? Has anyone seen this before? I will contact the manufacture to tell them what happened, and also suggest beefing up the plastic handle.
Thanks
Climb safe

Attachments

Brocky

I wonder if it was bad plastic, or the rivet was too tight. Looks like the washer was hit right where the crack is located.

TimBr

This TazLoz went directly from the box it was shipped in- onto 11mm snakebite. I made four 15’ ascents/descents,on the way down my fourth descent I heard the crack! This is extremely disturbing to me for this device is one of few allowed in climbing competitions! I’ve put a ton of rope tools through hell and have never had a failure, and this shit happened right out the box.
I will say this the dealer I purchased from immediately shipped me a new one for no cost and ask me to return the defective one.
I’m a little freaked out about this near failure and Don’t feel I can trust this device. What do you all think? Has anyone seen this before? I will contact the manufacture to tell them what happened, and also suggest beefing up the plastic handle.
Thanks
Climb safe
Extremely disturbing is an understatement. After an incident like that, I would only use that device for work positioning, and not as primary life support. It is a new product, so it might take a few years for them to work the kinks out. Thanks a lot for taking the time and trouble to post the photographs.

Tim

I know it was just out of the box ; did you happen to notice anything on first inspection before climbing ?
The taz lov2 box it came in was closed but it was flimsy cardboard, the outer shipping box was in good shape no damage. I inspected the device and didn’t notice anything off, but when I recieved the new one and started really looking into the plastic handle there are imperfections everywhere. Maybe this is to be expected in plastic molding, the thing that keeps running through my head is plastic why plastic yeah I know bring down the weight but what about quality. I will never use this thing in production tree work!

Bummer about the crack, but how was it on ascent and descent?
This device is the quickest thing on and off rope, well the Akimbo May be faster but man does it tend like a dream on ascent. It wasn’t very smooth on descent kind of jumpy but I only used it four times so this might have smoothed out with time. I can’t trust this device and will never climb on this device without a backup eight or HMS biner on my saddle which is common practice for me anyway.

The surface of the handle right near the crack has "blooming" marks where the molten plastic has flowed and slowed around the resistance in the mould shape that forms the depression the rivet sits in. This is a manufacturing defect, there are ways in making injection moulds to form plastic parts that prevent the molten material having to join up with itself inside the mould in critical places. I'm glad it's gone back to Taz cos they will recognise it and maybe rework the mould or the amount of material being pumped in or the temperature or the material, or the rejection rate, assembly technique, lots more variables and options. The more they see the more likely they are to fix it. Metal diecast parts have the same issues as do metal forged parts made from pellets or powder.
The break looks like it didn't compromise the rope holding function of the device, just the rope releasing function, so would be same limitation applied to any other handle device in descending mode if the handle broke. Carrying a HMS is a good solution, as useful as a spare prusik.

Vertigo

Last edited: