TAZ LOV2 descender

Am I missing something? The Grigri 2 & + seem far superior to this. More rope compatibility and much cheaper, the 2 is anyway. What benefit does this offer over the grigris?

CanadianStan

Am I missing something? The Grigri 2 & + seem far superior to this. More rope compatibility and much cheaper, the 2 is anyway. What benefit does this offer over the grigris?
1- from a climber POV, the rope can run straight through this device and allow you to use foot and knee ascenders - something you can’t do on a grigri / RIG / ID etc

2- it’s rated for climbing and has all necessary rope access approvals

GriGri isn’t rated for work position according to the manufacturer FYI

1541856277586.jpeg
DFEA1CAB-B476-4492-9455-FC7F29AAEB57.jpeg

CanadianStan

There are more videos on that channel, but its mostly rope access, rescue oriented. The takeway is that you can use foot ascenders with a grigri style descender.

http://taz3d.fr/?lang=en

for 10-11mm rope

They seem to sell for around 155 euro / 180 usd, plus shipping.

I'm looking for something similar to a Petzl GriGri or Rig, that wont hockle my kernmantle line to death. Sometimes I tend the rope over the front lip of the Rig to avoid it but I know how touchy they can be if you arent tending the rope correctly.

If I'm not limb walking, I just want something really simple to set up. The wrench takes a minute, and I'm not ready to buy a Rope Runner since the RR2 and the Akimbo are out next year.
So have you preordered an akimbo ?

^I think I know why the gri isn't "safe" for work positioning...because if you let up on the tension, it can relax and then you have a jolt as it abruptly regrabs the line when you retension the line.

This device makes me think it's a combination of the Camp Lift and the Petzl Grigri.

CanadianStan

No it's totally different. Those are descent devices or belay devices. The taz is a true multicender.
That explains it really well thanks Kevin

^I think I know why the gri isn't "safe" for work positioning...because if you let up on the tension, it can relax and then you have a jolt as it abruptly regrabs the line when you retension the line.

This device makes me think it's a combination of the Camp Lift and the Petzl Grigri.
Yes, it has a grigri handle; yes, it can move up the rope vertically like the Lift. It does both in 1 device, and it’s certified for use around the world and it’s midline atttachable AND it can be used as a fall-arrest device AND it can descend diagonally

It’s an unprecedented multicender as Kevin pointed out

I wanna see the guts of this thing. Are there any pictures of the innerds?

It's too bad it's so narrow in size of rope allowed. I won't be able to use it for that reason alone.

I wanna see the guts of this thing. Are there any pictures of the innerds?

It's too bad it's so narrow in size of rope allowed. I won't be able to use it for that reason alone.

I was thinking it isn't narrow enough! Either way I may have to get a bigger rope and see if this thing works as awesome as the specs make it look.

SingleJack

The TAZ LOV2 is a mechanical ascender/descender/fall-arrest device. It's very similar, in mechanical concept, to a ID, RIG, Grigri, D4, Cinch, etc. Except, it allows the rope to run straight through the device. So, foot & knee ascenders can be used; which is not at all 'convenient' with those other devices.
In my opinion (FWIW) the TAZ LOV2 works good but requires a few different techniques for in-tree work positioning - some a little problematic. The TAZ LOV2 is very quick and easy to install and very smooth to ascend with a rope walker technique. There is significant 'sit-back'. It tends very well for limb-walks. It is very easy to adapt to RADS (~3:1) tricks. However, on descent, the lever, release action has an extremely narrow "sweet-spot". It virtually *requires* the traditional use of a 'brake-hand' on the tail of the rope. So, it is not at all 'friendly' for swinging descents.

Note: A hole is provided for attaching a loop of throw-line for LOTS or Chestie tending. Shown here is a 1/8" Q-link which was added for tending. It makes attachment for tending a bit easier. But, adding the small Q-link requires slightly enlarging the hole provided.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Last edited:

Tuebor

Prolly 9mm dynamic for rock climbing if his avatar is any indication. Or is that a tree trunk that he's on? Maybe it is static.
I shouldn't speak for him, but I think he'd likes to bike/hike to go tree camping and wants to travel light. Ounces add up. Sterling makes HTP in 9 mm. Dynamic rope in a device like that would probably be a disaster.

Prolly 9mm dynamic for rock climbing if his avatar is any indication. Or is that a tree trunk that he's on? Maybe it is static.
I do love rockclimbing but my avatar is a huge tree trunk :)

I shouldn't speak for him, but I think he'd likes to bike/hike to go tree camping and wants to travel light. Ounces add up. Sterling makes HTP in 9 mm. Dynamic rope in a device like that would probably be a disaster.
Nailed it.