Tagged Spider Leg Slings

I work for a pretty young company and we are working on developing a relationship with a local crane contractor. The employees at my company have limited experience working with cranes so we payed another arborist whom we often work with to show up at this job and treated it as a training opportunity. He brought some of his own spider leg slings, my company has none yet. The operator refused to use the slings we had because they weren't labeled with tags which stated the strength or working load limit. Our colleague put up a bit of a fight but ultimately we went with the operator's slings. I believe the operator was right to stand his ground, the TCIA BMP guide for cranes clearly states that slings that aren't tagged should never be used. As arborists, we're all very comfortable and familiar with the rigging lines available but crane operators don't have that experience.

Anyway, I understand that for future crane work, a set of spider leg slings will be essential. We did fine with the 20 and 12 foot slings the operator had but there were inefficiencies in slinging the picks and I would have liked to have had more control of how long the various legs were. If we order slings from Sherrill or some other retailer, will they come with tags in place? Also, looking quickly at Sherrill the slings are a bit on the short side. If we want to order a couple 30 footers, an leads as far as where to look?

Thanks a lot for any insight you may be willing to share.

christreez

Every piece of rope I have ever bought from treestuff has come with a tag on it. It's shrink wrapped on but I have had many come loose.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ROYCE

Your crane operator was spot on in not allowing the use of un-stamped slings. If he has hook insurance (which essentially insures whatever will be picked they require all loads to be hoisted with stamped and properly rater equipment, this would not be a huge issue with tree guys because we do not care of a tree limb hits the ground off a crane hook. Their is really no value in the log. However, if your hoisting say a statue and it falls then you want that instance. I just bring this up because your operator might be used to more work this style than tree work)
Anyway, I agree that everything you buy form TreeStuff will come with a tag that states the WLL and breaking strength. Also, I would look into one of the spider legs bags if your thinking of running a 30 foot long sling. I think you will want to have one, but might find it to be too long for most instances. I personally like shorter ones and very often can get by with just two slings, and then a third if needed to balance the butts

ROYCE

I would go to Wesspur, TreeStuff does not have a warehouse anymore and everything is dropped shipped. So, you'll have to wait almost 2-3 weeks now for all their products. If you notice almost everything is out of stock.

Tyler Durden

Is that what is going on with those guys? I thought the buy out was going to create this amazing double inventory to pull items from...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ROYCE

Is that what is going on with those guys? I thought the buy out was going to create this amazing double inventory to pull items from...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Yup, Look around their web-site. Almost everything ships within 2-3 weeks. Meaning they take your order and pass it along to the company. They are just the muddle man now!!

flyingsquirrel25

I guess I'm very lucky my crane contractor accepts my 3/4" spliced spider legs. Although lately I have started bringing an 8' round sling as the main support and just using the spiders for balance. Even if I'm going light with 2 spider legs he still doesn't give me a hard time. But they do 75% or more just trees so they are used to it.
From everything I have read the slings just need a tag stating a rating. So in theory I could buy shrink tubing and put the working limit on the slings I make, correct? And the standard would be met?

christreez

Type of rope diameter Mbs WLL and date
Thst should make sure everything is covered

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ROYCE

yup been waiting for the mini isc pulley for weeks, most likely be last time i order from them
Crazy,
Thats should be a stocked item that is easy to just send out once someone orders it. I am finding I have the same frustration with them that I have when I go to my local chainsaw shop. Try to order a simple chain and they don't have it in stock.

RIVIEZZO TREE EXPERTS

my chainsaw shop is great but i don't always have time to go there. i work on all my saws and another companies so the amount of parts i keep is quite big. as far as saws in stock i got 2 201tc 2 461 and a 88o. he ran a ridiculous deal on ms170's for 110.00 retails for 160 170 ish so i bought 6 and sold a couple to customers for full price. but i kept 2 just for throw aways. with plastic dawgs i don't think there gonna be animals though. I've always ordered from we spur though royce sherrill was nice cuz it would get to me in 2 days

Steve Connally

Totally disagree with that statement especially in broad canopy trees. @deevo wanna weigh in on this one! Spider legs totally changed the way I do crane work. I can bring them off with no movement the majority of the time due to the spider legs. I also have less crushed fingers from getting slammed throwing big shackles around stuff. To each their own.

ROYCE

We can do about 90% of the trees around here with no spider legs. However, 10% of the time they make the difference of being able to have the butt not bounce around. Also its nice to have them in the tool box when you have to do that critical lift where you want zero movement due to structures too close.