Sugar maple - interveinal necrosis with little chlorosis

ATH

Looked at sugar maple trees that had necrotic tissue between the veins...but there was very little yellowing. Normally when I see this pattern (far more often on Red maple), the is almost no green tissue left - very chlorotic.

Thoughts?

20190531_092517.jpg

It has been VERY wet here (and I know we are by no means alone!) - so wet that less than 10% of the fields are planted and today was the cut off for corn to be planted for crop insurance...

Found this article, but with no pics: https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/maple_scorch_wilting_and_dieback_remain_a_mystery

JD3000

Most well-known member
Yeah...sugar maple decline has been discussed far and wide for a few years now.

Wet can explain a lot in your situation though.

Reactions: ATH

ATH

I'm not ready to call it decline...tree seems to be in good shape. I'll be back on the property in 2 weeks or so and will see if there has been any progression or leaf drop.

evo

That’s funny, y’all are loosing your sugars because it’s too wet?, and we are loosing our bigleafz because it’s too dry

ATH

Is that possibly a symptom of V wilt?
Not like i have seen...but not saying it can't be. I didn't slice open a twig because i wasn't looking for verticillium. I'll have a peek when I am back on that property.

ATH

ancthracnose usually is more "blobby" - less patterned. I've seen some publications that show it following the veins, but not between the veins. Again, not saying it can't be, but not like I have seen.