Stump grinder remote controls, anyone dislike?

southsoundtree

Anyone regret a stump grinder remote control?

A friend has a 60 HP Vermeer.

From my perspective, I'd rather stay far away from the grinder.

Wonder if a live camera feed could work. Sit in your truck and operate in inclement weather!

erwin

not sure I want to do it "totally remotely" from the truck for obviously safety reasons. But those radio remotes uses similar frequency bands as ham radios except the power output. They have the specification of up to 100 feet (if I remembered right). Even with life camera feed, u can do it, not sure u want to.

The other thread I started (still looking for more responses) is to address the known unreliability of the Vermeer remote with a Carlton version. Also, to totally bypass the unnecessary, over-engineered computer system they put in there.

southsoundtree

I didn't want to thread-jack.

Sitting in the truck was half-joking. There were a dozen big fir stumps my stump-subcontractor did in July in a totally fenced yard. Soooo dusty. No shade.

I thought about the camera for watching the grinder while grinding trees that have overgrown a sidewalk. Looking from the side gives a lot more info.

I'd rather stand far, far away from the grinder, personally. My sub like to be "up where the action is".

erwin

Thx. Southsoundtree. I hate stump grinding too. Hopefully the sc60 will make the hatred dispear a little. My sub does a very good job over the years. I just want to have the capacity to do the whole thing. I might still sub it when I’m too busy. Erwin

Magnum783

I for one do not like electric over hydraulic controls. I began life on a farm/heavy equipment operator thus causing me to completely require the feel of actually running the control not just pushing buttons.

erwin

Jared, I agree with u to some extend. total hydraulic valve control is the most reliable way. That how most of our chippers are. However, when it comes to stump grinding, it makes the world of difference if you can see the entire stump on both side of the cutting wheel. For that reason, it has to be electric over hydraulic either with or without radio remote. The problem of the Vermeer sc60tx is that they used a computer in place of simple straight forward electric, or electronic. It's a wonderful stumper otherwise. no belt, no hydraulic, the entire 60 hp of Cat diesel power goes straight into the ground.

Gerasimek

I'm a big fan of remote control. I have a Vermeer SC1152 with the remote and it's fantastic. Stand as far back as you can still see what you're doing. Great when working is dusty conditions as you aren't in the middle of a dust cloud. When you get caught in the rain you can stand under a porch or operate the remote under a poncho. I have operated it from my truck cab when it was really cold and windy. I was able to park close enough to easily see.
I tried the Rayco 100 hp machine but the remote was terrible. It lost signal often and was very difficult to operate when compared to the Vermeer. Vermeer's remote is well thought out, intuitive, and never loses signal.
Hope this helps.

erwin

I started working with him about 2 years ago and now the project is done. figured out all the logics for the track movements and cutter control. field tested the prototype and it worked great. you can run the machine from hundreds of feet away. Great track response with three speed setting: crawling speed for cutting advance, normal traveling speed and fast traveling speed. The only thing missing compared to the 6K Vermeer one is the auto sweep function.

HarrisonTach

Anyone regret a stump grinder remote control?

A friend has a 60 HP Vermeer.

From my perspective, I'd rather stay far away from the grinder.

Wonder if a live camera feed could work. Sit in your truck and operate in inclement weather!
troy1.jpgI Can tell you that in 20 years Making these, My customers response is! I'm productive and profitable using Kurt's Remote control kit. I'm in a safe place! in clear view of the work and there's NO annoying Linking required each time just like a car remote. Kurt 989-330-5086

erwin

really missed the auto sweep. spent another 20 hour and got it figured out. Now, everything I want remote controlled, are remote controlled!IMG_4750.JPG

Last edited: