Stihl MS241 (I’m in love)

RyanCafferky

Has anyone else tried one of these things? I’ve had this saw for over a year now and it become one of my favorite saws. I use it for limbing on the ground, big topping cuts, bringing down wood in the tree, and cutting small firewood (14” and under). Mine came with an 18” bar which I find to be perfect. It runs the 3/8” pico chain and has a great power to weight ratio. If I am blocking down a spar I ask for this saw instead of my 362 with a 25” bar which always used to be my go to when it was time to send down the 200T.

Here is the part you are going to love after reading this review. I heard that Stihl USA is not going to be importing these anymore because they weren’t selling enough of them! I think their marketing was rather crappy. Have any of you even seen any marketing for this saw? I grabbed another one from my local dealer just to have a backup.

Keeth

Great small saw! Professional construction, incredible power to weight ratio. However, Stihl has stopped production for the US.

We bought sixty of them over the last couple of years, but really had to search for the last 20.

The word is they are not going to replace it with anything...

Birdyman88

My favorite saw. I have 18" Tsumura bar and Stihl 63PS3 chain. Gonna find a Tazmanian Devil sticker and put on mine cause that's what this thing is. Sad to hear they are discontinuing. Best limbing saw I ever used.

Bango Skank

Is it almost same dimensions and weight as the 261? Like how the 026 was very close to the 024 besides displacement?
If so, that’s likely their reason for not restocking in US. 261 is probably better seller for very little difference in cost.
Just guessing though.
I got an 024, great little saw. .325 though.

*edit* it’s pretty different huh? Single bar nut makes it look different anyway. I’m just curious if it’s a different chassis.

RyanCafferky

It is a very different saw than a 261. Pick both up and you will feel the difference. I just think that people are stuck in the “bigger is better” mentality and so they buy the bigger saw not thinking about the benefits of having a light saw that can pretend to be a big saw when asked to. I think the lack of marketing and dealers not having a clue about it led to it being discontinued. I’d like to hear someone with a more informed opinion chime in. @Mark Chisholm perhaps?

Bango Skank

Any idea what the price difference is between it and the 261 though?

It’s kinda hard to drop big bucks on a little saw (barring top handles). ... the rear handled ms200 was a great saw too, but sold like shit, because at the time one could buy a 260 for less $.

Jackjcc

Get it ported and you’ll use it for everything. I have every Stihl pro saw but the 261 for a reason. That little 241 is impressive and it saves the arms and back a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
It is a very different saw than a 261. Pick both up and you will feel the difference. I just think that people are stuck in the “bigger is better” mentality and so they buy the bigger saw not thinking about the benefits of having a light saw that can pretend to be a big saw when asked to. I think the lack of marketing and dealers not having a clue about it led to it being discontinued. I’d like to hear someone with a more informed opinion chime in. @Mark Chisholm perhaps?
I've actually not tried a 241. We have some 261's and the guys seem to ask for them a lot.

Birdyman88

I was at my dealer today and they had a 241cm on rack and one in the back. I asked them about Stihl discontinuing sales in the US, and they were completely unaware of it. Funny thing is that their "Stihl" website no longer shows the 241cm.

DTS

Glad I saw this post awesome little saw have one and love it. Called 4 dealers yesterday and was able to locate 2 bought them both.