STIHL easy 2 start

fastlil1

Has anyone owned a STIHL with easy 2 start? They are only on the "Occasional Use Chain Saws" but I was wondering how well they stood up? Would be pretty sweet if they could figure it out to hold up long enough to put it into a MS200.

Rookieclimber

chris, the easy to start in a rather large starting unit. They put more coil in the pull cord thing... dont know what you call it, but that coil is what make the engine turn to start. not very economical, and besides your a big boy you can deal with a pulling a saw 3 times to start it. if its more than that, you gotta clean that bad boy more often.

fastlil1

no worries on bein able to handle it, would just be sweet... if it was economical. I havn't even seen one yet, but heard they where very nice. Just shootin out ideas.

GASoline71

It's more of a gimmick for the homeowner. My ex-wife could never start our old Weedeater. So I had bought one of the EZ 2 Start Stihl trimmers... and she could start it no problem. I'm not sayin' that it is a "woman" thing... it is just that some pull start equipment is more difficult to start for some than others.

I personally would steer clear of them for daily use and abuse, since they are on homeowner grade equipment... and stick with the pro grade stuff without the gimmicks.

Gary

fastlil1

I agree with you about sticking with pro grade, I am just wondering if anyone knows why they aren't putting it on the pro grade. Has anyone had a problem with them? Or even, you have seen/used it does it seam pretty cheaply put together??

Treelimbjim

Gotta check this out. All my Stihl tools are Choke, pull 2-3 times until it fires, remove choke, running on the second pull.

Some of our Echo grounds tools have sort of an opposite action. You pull the starter cord and let it recoil. The pull action winds up the spring, and at some point when returning the cord the spring starts turning the engine.

fastlil1

yea, that is pretty sweet. Given, not a huge fan of Echo, but regardless, does that hold up to professional use and could it be put on a climbing saw??

GASoline71

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you about sticking with pro grade, I am just wondering if anyone knows why they aren't putting it on the pro grade. Has anyone had a problem with them? Or even, you have seen/used it does it seam pretty cheaply put together??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's not on pro-grade stuff because it will prolly not last throught the abuse a saw or other power equipment sees on a daily basis in the field. I think it would lead to more breakage and down time. Therefore just on the "occasional user" stuff. Stuff that comes out of the garage maybe 10-20 times a year.

Like i said... homeowner gimmick on homeowner grade stuff.

Gary

Chiseltooth

I don't care for them, and don't believe they would hold up.Besides having to play yo-yo with the unit. When I service one of the easy start units I have to make one continuous pull, or multiple pulls 5-7 pulls. These starters where designed for the older people that are not able to pull the rope, or not able to pull repeatedly. So get a straw and suck it up, be a man and crank that sucker.
See Ya
Mike

Jburkhalter

Wait until you are 83 and have torn your rotators twice on each shoulder. You can still cut with a chain saw, but you cannot start it. I turned in an almost new Stihl for an MS250 with Easy 2 start. If it does not hold up to non commercial occasional use I will fix it or replace it with another. Who will you call after a hurricane to cut up the tree across your driveway. The wife at 77 can start the saw now.