Stihl 661 Problem

Treezybreez

Just wanted to see if others were having the same problems I have been having with my bran new saw? It runs great from a cold start but after it warms up it won't start. I've only used it on two jobs before taking it back to the dealer. He said that they forgot to calibrate it before they sold it to me, so he ran it on choke for a while and handed it back to me. Saw is doing the same thing it did before; acting like it is overheating or flooding. Supper frustrating since bran new saws are supposed to run perfect. :muyenojado:

JeffGu

Take it back and tell them you'll come get it the next day, that you don't want it back until they've run the saw enough to know it's fixed. Tell them if they need a log to cut up in order to heat it up good, you'll bring them one, but you want the freakin' thing fixed when you come back for it.

It's under warranty, you shouldn't have to make several trips dealing with something like this.

Treezybreez

Old apple tree log, covered in poison ivy and filled with concrete???
Well, I don't know if I could be that cruel; but if my saw keeps up with the poor performance I can not be held responsible for my actions.

My other Stihl saws are running fine with the same ethanol free 89 octane 50/1 mixture.

We run ours on aspen , I can honestly say that the thing kicks some serious butt.
There has been zero issues the whole time I've had it, even after a year of pretty heavy use , the m tronic works well , imo its gruntier then the 66o we have . I think return it dude.

Treezybreez

My new 661c does the same thing. Flooding? I just do what the manual says: put it on "run", squeeze trigger, pull cord until it starts. Takes about eight pulls.
I shouldn't have to pull it 8 times! It is supposed to be easy to start. Also, it is not supposed to abruptly cut off in the middle of a cut.

Took it back to them again and all they do is plug it into a computer and run it awhile. They don't actually cut wood with it, so of course it is still doing the same thing. This will be the third time that I will take it to them. I am not happy with Stihl! :mad::muyenojado::tonto:

Just a thought, Check the fuel tank breather. A saw will run with a clogged or stuck breather until a vacuum builds in the tank . I dont know much about the electronics but start simple.Next time it dies, crack the fuel cap and try to start it again.

JeffGu

Wait... the manual says to squeeze the trigger while starting it? An M-tronic saw?
That can't be right. If it's warm, you set it to RUN then don't touch it until the saw starts. Should be more like 2 or 3 pulls at the most, usually just one.

Treezybreez

check out this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/problematic-ms661.283370/#post-5463171

Carb solenoid and ignition modules seem to be the big issues for the 661. Ignition modules had a recall when they came out or before. Anyways, mastermind mods saws for a living, he's better than any stihl tech you will find at a shop.
Thanks Jack, my saw is still in the shop and they seem to be putting a new ignition and coil on it. I am really hoping that solves the problem. Should have gone with the 880 and skipped the M-tronic.

Jackjcc

Don't say that, the mtronic is great and it takes a lot of worry out of it. It's the only issues those saws have had and they aren't a common problem.

Treezybreez

Well, I went to pick up my saw from the dealer for the sixth time and this time I had some chunks of wood. At first I couldn't even start the saw, but it finally started. Made a couple of cuts, shut it off and it wouldn't start. I think the Mechanic was embarrassed.

Last edited:

Jackjcc

The cuts it made were good? I think it is a bit ridiculous that the mechanic isn't testing out the saw before saying it's good. You can't guess the problem, throw parts at it, and not test it to confirm the problem resolved. I would ask for a replacement saw and have that one sent up for diagnosis by a stihl rep.