Stihl 192tc help

Alcoley

Does anybody know about the 192? Can I make it faster? I'm a climber and someone stole my 201 and ropes out of my truck. I picked the 192 up for $50 at a pawn shop. The saw does ok after I tore it down for a good cleaning and some cfome. But it wasn't fast enough for a black oak top yesterday. Any help would be greatly appropriated. I'm going to buy a new 201 When I get the extra money. Just need to use the 192 until then.

Jehinten

But it wasn't fast enough for a black oak top yesterday.
A 192/193 can do the work, but you have to remember that it is no 201 and take a little more consideration for that fact in certain cuts. That being said a timing advance as well as the muffler mod helped my 193 until I bought a MS200T. There are also vids on YouTube for the timing advance if your not familiar with it, its an easy upgrade.

Alcoley

Thanks guys. This is the first192tc I've ran. I'd love to find the a-hole that stole my stuff. They got about 2grand of stuff from me. They probably traded it for $50 worth of pills.

colb

You have pico chain/bar on it, right? Skinnying up the kerf will get you a lot more speed on cutting tops.

New2trees

Hopefully it did not toast itself due to being lean...but this is a good possibility.

Since it came from a pawn shop there is a good chance its had fuel break down in the carb restricting the passages...then with the muffler mod that made it that much leaner....?

On the other hand it may just have a stopped up filter/carb etc. but the smoking makes me worry.

Easy enough to pull the spark plug and/or muffler and see if the piston is toasted.

No expert.....hopefully I am wrong.

Alcoley

Hopefully it did not toast itself due to being lean...but this is a good possibility.

Since it came from a pawn shop there is a good chance its had fuel break down in the carb restricting the passages...then with the muffler mod that made it that much leaner....?

On the other hand it may just have a stopped up filter/carb etc. but the smoking makes me worry.

Easy enough to pull the spark plug and/or muffler and see if the piston is toasted.

No expert.....hopefully I am wrong.
Ok. I put a new carb on it. New plug and new filters. Runs great. Piston looked fine. Its still smoking. I even put in some wood. Did really good with no stalling. Think my mix is off? Same mix I run in my bigger saws with no problem.

SomethingWitty

Ok. I put a new carb on it. New plug and new filters. Runs great. Piston looked fine. Its still smoking. I even put in some wood. Did really good with no stalling. Think my mix is off? Same mix I run in my bigger saws with no problem.
They all run 50:1. At least modern ones do. I tend to be on the fatter side of it rather than measuring everything precisely.
The smoke has to be coming from somewhere. Got gunk built up around your clutch or an exhaust leak burning stuff? I've messed with mufflers before and not thought about the new exhaust path and melted some parts.
If it was tuned too rich on the high end, it wouldn't be running great. It would refuse to rev all the way up.

New2trees

Great point by Something Witty, could be a muffler melting a cover or something else cooking?

I have never worked on one of those saws so I am not sure about the case configuration, so it may not be possible but I wonder if the saw is leaking bar oil into the crankcase?

I think I remember those saws having a huge muffler so maybe its just old deposits that are cooking out of it?

Assuming you are running a decent brand name oil at 40-50 to 1 with fresh fuel you should not see a lot of smoke. That said if the saw has been running shitty the rings and efficiency are going to improve (A saw with lower compression will have trouble burning the oil fully) now that its running well. So maybe try running a few tanks of fuel through it and see if it clears.

If its really smoking bad and you suspect a bar oil leak you could drain out the bar oil and run the saw at idle and see if the smoke starts to clear after a few minutes.....just don't rev it up during the test since once the clutch starts to turn both the oil pump and bar/chain will be running dry.

Bango Skank

Pull the spark plug and see what it looks like after it's been run a little. Running too rich can be indicated by a black wet plug. Too rich will make it smoke more.

Usually you'd need to richen it up a bit after a muffler mod, but you also put a new carb kit in so that's not really a given anymore.

Cool site here that includes WAV files to help tune by ear.

Nickstulz

Before I muff/timing modded my 192/193 ( can’t remember which it was now) the muffler would goop up, so I would have to remove the muffler, pull the arrester, heat the whole muff box up with a propane torch, and shake all the crap out. Then I’d soak it in kerosine all night and blow it out with compressed air. It would last for a few gallons of gas and then clog again. After the mod it quit plugging. It was a dense brush clearing saw. Pre mod and once warm, The thing would bog in wood, then die. Barely start back up and run like a turd. Cold running was fine. Mod seemed to cure the plugging muffler. I gave the saw away when I got a 201.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch Hoy

My modded 193 smokes sometimes. Always assumed it was excess bar and chain oil getting on the muffler through the assembly some how. Haven't cared enough to look into it, saw still runs great. My 201 ran out of gas the other day and we had the 193 right there, so I had it sent up. Blew a big (17-18") leaning top with a swing cut just fine.