Stihl 056 AV Magnum ii

monkeylove

So I took a chance on a saw I will probably never use lol. I picked it up for $200 from a friend who says it ran fine and then all the sudden it stopped running and he could not get it to fire back up. I know these saws are known for wires grounding out and other annoying "old school" ignition problems but figured why not. I will post some pics when I get home and keep you informed. I may also have to join the OPE forum since they seem to be all about these old school saws.

evo

Good saw. Parts are nearly impossible to find. The saw is the same as a 045, with a much larger piston a jug. The coil is nearly impossible to find, but rumor has it you can order one from Germany, but not through Stihl in the states.
I recently rebuilt my dads ol 045, I might even have parts diagrams that include the o56

monkeylove

So this was the easiest "Not Running" fix yet. Spark plug Boot spring broke. Replaced spring and put new gas in the tank. 3 pulls with the choke on, 3 pulls with the choke off and I have a running chainsaw. Obviously I want to go through the rest of it as time frees up but, a running motor is always a good start.

1531847681897.png

monkeylove

Well it runs so good the chain never stops moving :(

Needle bearing on the clutch/sprocket is toast. Looks like I will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to see what they got or get. Certainly an exploded parts view of that area at the least.
20180717_164851.jpg

evo

Might need a clutch spring(s) . Some times hitting up the clutch and housing with 150 grit or higher will clear a little grime which can keep the chain spinning. Those outboard clutches kinda suck.
Long ago I copied pages out of a service manual I checked out at our local library. Yours might have one? Could always scan what I got and send it to you.

monkeylove

Pulled it apart and all the needles fell out in pieces. Obsolete by Stihl standards but $10 bucks to my door from E-Bay. Should have it next week. They are an odd size 14 x 17 x 14 long, Stihl and Dolmar stopped using them years ago.

Clutch, sprocket and crankshaft look okay though. Looks like the bearing just gave up.

Thanks Evo, I may take you up on that if this doesn't fix it.

monkeylove

Okay so the Ebay seller can't measure. I got a 14x18 bearing :(

Anybody happen to have a spare 14x17 bearing they want to part with?

Otherwise I am boring my sprocket out to 18mm, I can buy that bearing everywhere.

I posted the same question over on the OPE forum @hseII