Stihl 015

Merak

I have a stihl 015 that was owned by my late father in law. It appears to be in pretty good shape. Anybody have any info? I looked at a couple websites posted here for manuals, but haven't seen any service manuals for this saw.

Merak

I put some fresh gas in it and it wouldn't start. I'm going to put a new spark plug in tomorrow. The old one is pretty black. I like to have the manual around for reference in case I get ambitious and decide to rip the carburetor apart for giggles.

Axman

Try priming it first by shooting gas mix right down into the venturi of the carb. If the saw pops or coughs a little then you will know it is a fuel related problem like a plugged fuel filter, old hard fuel lines or a non funtioning carb that is not pulling fuel from the tank.

Larry

Kevin

Look for spark and fuel at the plug.
If you have a decent spark and a wet plug it should at least try to start.
That should be a Walbro HDC carb.

Merak

Yes, it has fuel, The plug is probably shorting down the insulator because it is carbon fouled. If replacing the plug doesn't work I'll be cleaning out the carb, and checking the points. Thats why it would be nice to have a service manual.

Kevin

You can rebuild the carb with a kit and the points have a gap of .014 -.016.
Some models had the transistor ignition.
Check the insulation on the wires and the switch as well.

123IMIN

When the 015 was first introduced, it was described as the saw for the "man about the house", It much like the 020, but for gawd sake, make sure it has at least a hand gaurd.
John