Sticht Hitch

climbstihl

@Louhut it's like a sticht hitch, but using an oval carabiner and an overhand knot instead of the twist. There should be some pictures floating around here, use the search function.

Louhut

would the overhand work behind the small ring?
I’ve had an idea with the swivel too, that could potentially have an impact on the performance of the hitch. Use the swivel sideways instead of straight up and down. This would pull the hitch sideways slightly and could affect force distribution. Like how a pulley with wide side plates (Pinto or RW pulley) would make a hitch function different to a hitch used with a pulley with flat side plates ( HC or Phlotich).

Brocky

The overhand does work with a small ring, and tends very well. Adding a tending strap didn’t improve it, as it was already effortless.

It sticks out more, but being a larger, solid mass, probably accounts for the improved tending.

Louhut

The overhand does work with a small ring, and tends very well. Adding a tending strap didn’t improve it, as it was already effortless.
Away from my kit for a while now so I can’t ry these out, overhand looks like it’d be hard to adjust. Sticht and reef look like they are the way forward. Used with a strap and a second ring will help the longevity of the hitch.

John@TreeXP

I personally like the simplicity of using just the ring with a sewn or hand spliced eye&eye. The overhand may be the better, compared to the 2xcross, with the proper length of cordage. My preference is for no other added hardware, as well as, keeping the design as simple as possible, using gear many already have on hand.

Brocky

The rigging rings work great as a replacement for a pulley or short strap, makes it compact. Instead of a twist, this variation uses two crosses. The inner diameter of the rings were limiting what friction cord eyes could be used. After a circular testing of thimbles to replace the low friction rings to allow larger diameter spliced or knotted cords to used, went with the low wall split thimble. The cord can now snap into the inner circle, instead of having to fit through it.
AD7677B7-3DB8-420A-B14A-5147B772ADC9.jpeg

Haven’t seen any wear or melting so far, even though it’s plastic.

Brocky

Another update: the above thimble proved to be too thin, after some use, its shape distorted and caused friction. The round, thicker, split thimbles held their shape.
AEBE656A-93C7-4FFA-877E-7A346C05BBFC.jpeg

Another development is using non preformed eyes, it makes tying easier.
2612BA71-1506-475A-9780-510F31BFE481.jpeg

Chaplain242

Hi Brocky, bamboozled by the variations is an understatement. Could I ask for an update on which variations: perform best vs ease tying vs least tuning required? Or do I need to wait for the book?

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Hope it comes out on video.

Great innovation, Brocky, but you're going about this wrong. You can't sell that to anybody. You might need a PayPal donation, for yourself or a charity (they'd already have a Donate link set up). The ring will never wear out. Bulk cord is cheap. A sharp and crafty innovator, priceless. Commercially made SRT devices start around $100, right?

Joeybagodonuts

It’s on the left. The first fully functional SRT hitch that I came up with, I’ve used it about 5-6 years, there is also the Synergy X by another member here, @castanea.
View attachment 60697
Hey Brock.. is that your trade secret viper splice... or is it something smaller?

hat would be a good alternative to the smaller 6 & 7mm Ocean Vectran & Ocean Dyneema cordages? Is there anything kicking around like that these days that isn't super exotic & hard to find?

Quite the thread you started here.. this whole technique kinda reminds me of a Hitch Hiker, part friction from the bone & part textile.. Some examples looks very versatile.. Looks like it's time for me to progress beyond the simple VT with a it's legs captured by a ring..

Brocky

This version is the easiest to tie and works the best, so far.
C09D8742-E987-4BEF-9185-D8BAC21419A0.jpeg
It’s a little harder to adjust the separation between the wraps and lower part than using preformed eyes. But the stopper makes tending smoother.
A sponsor would definitely help. Cord compatibility testing is better with this method than preform eyes. The rigging ring rotates during tending so doesn’t rub in just one spot, a downside of the spool shackle.
The Viper splice is taking the core out and burying the cover into itself, with overlapping tapered tails. When done it is slightly smaller diameter than 8mm, but is completely flexible it’s entire length. Robline’s 6mm Excel Elite is a close replacement for the Oceans, but has a dyneema core rather than vectran, I get it from Fisheries Supply.

Joeybagodonuts

This version is the easiest to tie and works the best, so far.
View attachment 61736
It’s a little harder to adjust the separation between the wraps and lower part than using preformed eyes. But the stopper makes tending smoother.
A sponsor would definitely help. Cord compatibility testing is better with this method than preform eyes. The rigging ring rotates during tending so doesn’t rub in just one spot, a downside of the spool shackle.
The Viper splice is taking the core out and burying the cover into itself, with overlapping tapered tails. When done it is slightly smaller diameter than 8mm, but is completely flexible it’s entire length. Robline’s 6mm Excel Elite is a close replacement for the Oceans, but has a dyneema core rather than vectran, I get it from Fisheries Supply.
Oh right on..! That's cool.. kinda like Gliestiens inco prusik.. i like that, I'm going to try it out. I wonder how easily that method would splice into a dmm thimble if you end up a little on the small side of 8mm even with overlapping tails..

Excel.. That's right..i remember seeing that recently.. comes in some bright colors iirc.

Lots of stuff out there if you know where to look.. Thanks for the heads up!

Brocky

Another option has come up that eliminates the rings and things, doesn’t run as smooth, but you only need a four and a half to five foot piece of cord to climb SRT.
FF6253CE-B427-453C-BCAA-4E6238DF9BFD.jpeg
And if you’re totally allergic to metal
C8ABE0F1-D7BF-4CCD-B0F7-A32A060436F7.jpeg