Sterling rope rod

Mowerr

Has anybody or does anybody still use a rope rod for a wrench tether?
I can't seem to find any threads on it in the archives so I'm thinking it was never really popular.
Is it legal in competitions?
I got one and really like it so far...though I'm so used to the fix stiff tether, it looks so weird seeing the whole tether bend sometimes but I really like the way it tends with a pinto pulley.

I made one when I first started SRT. I made it by taping and shrink wrapping a HRC Prusi cord.

I did not know that Sterling had a wrench tether.

Mowerr

Yeah I was thinking about putting some shrink wrap on mine to stiffen it up and make it tougher though I do feel it's pretty bomb proof already...by specs I think it's the strongest tether on the market. Mbs 6744lbs

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I believe there is no short list of tethers that are allowed in competition.
I would definitely be inclined to pass something that was commercially manufactured for the purpose of being a rope wrench tether at a comp.

Is it the square one? I think I have a sterling tether.

Mowerr

I thought it has been around a long time but maybe not. I can't seem to find anyone with extended experience on one.
I haven't heard of any problems but haven't heard of anybody liking or disliking it.
Like it never existed...................

Mowerr

Yeah it is long and weird how flexible it is... Before I got it I thought it would be much more stiff but I'm starting to like the flexibility when passing it through unions and stuff.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I like mine. It doesn't stay bent like the @height beeline tether does, and I bend them against branches constantly.
I think the carabiner hole is a bit snug, but it's like a one second annoyance when I set my system and that's it.

Tony

Been using one for a while. Works as well as any I have used.

Not sure where you get your climbing comp info, but the only requirements for a wrench set up at a TCC/ITCC are manufacturers recommendations and a function check.

I really bristle when the work “legal” is used in conjunction with comps. Like it’s a legislative body or the comps are structured to restrict.

Tony

Mowerr

Been using one for a while. Works as well as any I have used.

Not sure where you get your climbing comp info, but the only requirements for a wrench set up at a TCC/ITCC are manufacturers recommendations and a function check.

I really bristle when the work “legal” is used in conjunction with comps. Like it’s a legislative body or the comps are structured to restrict.

Tony
They have rules right??? What's a better word to describe following the rules?

Mowerr

For some reason I've always loved the way a fixed plate pulley tends a hitch. Whether it's on a lanyard or in the set up we are speaking of it just feels so much smoother tending.
So I've been thinking about shrink wrapping it to make it stiff...do u guys like the stiff tether better?
Or do u guys like your tethers flexible?

Mowerr

I like mine. It doesn't stay bent like the @height beeline tether does, and I bend them against branches constantly.
I think the carabiner hole is a bit snug, but it's like a one second annoyance when I set my system and that's it.
I agree about the biner attachment hole being tight...I assumed it opens over time. Just takes an extra second to set.

Tony

They have rules right??? What's a better word to describe following the rules?
How about accepted or acceptable?

So many times in discussing rules or requirements for a TCC (Tree Climbing Competition) an us vs. then mentality is hinted at.

I have been involved in TCC on many levels for many years. I have never asked a competitor or conformed to a rule or guideline as a competitor just because it was "the rule". I did it so as to keep the event, myself and others safe.

I know it is a semantic argument, but the words we use give insight in to our thoughts and attitudes. I think we should them well.

Just my thoughts.

Tony

TimBr

Has anybody or does anybody still use a rope rod for a wrench tether?
I can't seem to find any threads on it in the archives so I'm thinking it was never really popular.
Is it legal in competitions?
I got one and really like it so far...though I'm so used to the fix stiff tether, it looks so weird seeing the whole tether bend sometimes but I really like the way it tends with a pinto pulley.
I think I own the item you are talking about. I never really cared for it much, as it seemed kind of wimpy. I greatly prefer my newer stiff tether. The whole purpose of the stiff tether, to me, is to help ensure that the Rope Wrench engages when it should, and I felt like the rope rod style didn't do that as well. I still have it, and use it as a backup on my saddle.

There's an old thread I'm going to provide a link to in a second, that I think might give you the best of both worlds, if you are willing to do a little bit of your own fabrication work. Here's the link.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/flex-tether-for-the-rope-wrench.24530/

Also, I'm going to try to include links to a few videos of this tether in action. @TonyK did really beautiful work in producing his tether. It is too bad he's not still around, but I'm grateful that he took the time and trouble to contribute this idea to the world.

I hope someone finds this helpful. Thanks for your time.

Tim

P.S. TonyK has three other videos on his channel that are short, and relate directly to his Flex tether. I think they might give a hint as to how he made his. Probably well worth watching. I hope TonyK is well and still climbing.

Last edited:

TimBr

Apologies if this seems excessive, but here is the link to the video in which he briefly explains the materials and thinking behind his prototype Rope Wrench Flex Tether.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I think I own the item you are talking about. I never really cared for it much, as it seemed kind of wimpy. I greatly prefer my newer stiff tether. The whole purpose of the stiff tether, to me, is to help ensure that the Rope Wrench engages when it should, and I felt like the rope rod style didn't do that as well. I still have it, and use it as a backup on my saddle.

There's an old thread I'm going to provide a link to in a second, that I think might give you the best of both worlds, if you are willing to do a little bit of your own fabrication work. Here's the link.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/flex-tether-for-the-rope-wrench.24530/

Also, I'm going to try to include links to a few videos of this tether in action. @TonyK did really beautiful work in producing his tether. It is too bad he's not still around, but I'm grateful that he took the time and trouble to contribute this idea to the world.

I hope someone finds this helpful. Thanks for your time.

Tim

P.S. TonyK has three other videos on his channel that are short, and relate directly to his Flex tether. I think they might give a hint as to how he made his. Probably well worth watching. I hope TonyK is well and still climbing.
Tony gave me one years ago. We are still in touch on FB. It was too bulky for me but a neat idea. Honestly I love a freaking double eye @height shorty. Took me years to get here with many setups. Nothing beats a HC for tending. I hated the rod. Fixed CT was my goto for years. Long gone now.

TimBr

That is a cool tether.
I think I need one. Maybe shorter than that one.
Hey, SomethingWitty! After reading @swingdude's response, I realize that I'm not sure which tether it is you were referring to in the above quoted post. Was it TonyK's tether or swingdude's double-eye @height shorty tether? Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

Tim