Sterling 11mm HTP for rope bridge?

rico

Any thought on using HTP for a rope bridge would be appreciated. I love this stuff and have about a mile of it, so I was hoping it would also work for my bridge.

Bob Bob

I have wondered this also. It's time to replace my bridge and I wanted to try something different than the Yale Bandit I've been using.

Brocky

The tree police are going to be all over you for not using the harness manufacturer's expensive replacement bridge. I think the HTP would be fine. The stopper knots might be challenging, though.

oldoakman

I use the Samson Blue Streak family of rope for the bridges on my cougar/liger saddles. They wear like iron and have the high tensile rating.

Last edited:

rico

Thanks Brocky & Levi. Happy Thanksgiving to both you guys, as well as everyone here. I hope we all have a lot to be thankful for. I know I sure do!

I think everyone knows how I feel about the Tree-police, so fuck em! I'm gonna roll with the HTP and see how it feels.

BTW, I did a little job yesterday with Brocky's Bust-a-Knut on the Wrench. Just killer. Thanks for the great hitch Brock!

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

I'd set those stoppers hard, but it's pretty bomber. Parallel load bearing strands that are protected by a smooth cover is basically the safest you can get. You'd have to chop it to have it all fail at once.

ARLO

I have been using a double bridge made from 9mm HTP on my Treemotion for several months and it works fine. But I really do wish the folks at Teufelberger would sell their original bridge material in bulk lengths so that we could make bridges in various lengths and configurations.

ARLO

Jem4417

I use it for a second bridge. I’m sure other stuff is better but it’s the smallest diameter I have available for making rope tools out of

I am currently using 11 mm KMIII for both of my rope bridges. Not sure how it compares to HTP but mine has been great. I will agree knotability is not as good and requires more frequent cinching and inspection

ARLO

HTP is a pretty damn stiff rope, ie poor knotability
Yep, it sucks. After it is loaded it gets stiff and doesn't go limp again until it is massaged a bit. Also, you need to make sure you use really good knots and set them well. I used the 9 mm HTP mainly because it was the only stuff I had available at the time that would fit through the holes on the hardware on my Treemotion saddle. It has worked fine, but the stiffness is really weird to deal with when you get off the rope because the bridge sticks out like you are walking around with a hard-on. Not the best look.

Mowerr

I'd set those stoppers hard, but it's pretty bomber. Parallel load bearing strands that are protected by a smooth cover is basically the safest you can get. You'd have to chop it to have it all fail at once.
I understand its stiff and to cinch the stoppers but are your sayying kernmantle htp is the safest for a rope bridge ???