Starting a rec climbing service

Discussion in 'Recreational Tree Climbing' started by Stant82, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Stant82

Stant82 Member

So my company wants to start offering rec climbing for scout groups, b-day parties, bar mitzvahs, quinceaneras, etc ...:)
    I've got all the gear stuff figured out but still need some help on the "paper work' side of things.

The kiddos will just be going up and down and maybe a limb walk for the courageous ones. If anyone goes over 15-20 ft I'll be surprised.
    What else would I need ?

Liability release form, template or good 'ol plagiarized version?

Structure or curriculum? How detailed?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

FreeFallin likes this.
  2. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

Like any business...start with liability insurance

Don't think that a signed waiver is any protection

FreeFallin likes this.
  3. Stant82

Stant82 Member

Thanks.
    BTW .. Jim is my mentor and his place only bout 8 mi from me (y)

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  4. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

A lawyer.

A SOP/ training manual for employees, with demonstrated skills, signed and dated.

All your systems need to be able to lower from the ground. A DdRT hung on a base-tied stationary rope.

Stant82 and Tyler Durden like this.
  5. southsoundtree

Be surprised by nothing!!!!

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  6. Stant82

Stant82 Member

No really, i'm only gonna set the lines 10ft high ;)

7. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

An inverted pinata might be fun for the kids: set the pinata on the ground but hoist the kid with the stick on a rig-n-wrench and swing her around like a flying spinning ninja. Everything is more interesting at great heights, and it's not necessarily a whole lot more dangerous.

A simple signed waiver by a competent adult or guardian should suffice. It's a shame that it doesn't.

Patrick Brandt has a lot of experience in getting groups of kids into trees. Nice guy too.

Tyler Durden and Stant82 like this.
  8. NorthBranch

NorthBranch New Member

Check out the Global Organization of Tree Climbing, www.gotreeclimbing.org/ they have a great website filled with helpful information that will guide you in getting started. Good Luck.

Stant82 likes this.
  9. Stant82

Stant82 Member

I sent an email to Patrick Brandt and he helped to fill in the legal part.
    ( Quote)
    I have a 1 million dollar general liability policy from Veracity in SLC, Utah for "Guided Tree Climbing". It costs me about $1200 per year and is in addition to my tree work liability insurance. You can see my climb waiver at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzpiRKfhhZ4FZ3RvY1JjMUJNWDQ/view. Feel free to use the same wording if you want to. I developed mine by borrowing from others.

The minimum length of climb I do is a 50 minute climb. I use a traditional blakes hitch system with a prussic foot loop. When people sign up for a private climbing lesson I help them progress from the Blake's hitch to a hitching climber pulley or zigzag. I don't teach much SRT - mostly because by the time someone is confident on DRT they can usually buy a rope wrench and teach themselves SRT.

(End Quote)

I think this will give me the start I was looking for!

Nish and Tyler Durden like this.
  10. moss

moss Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's an entire protocol already created around facilitated rec climbs, first by Peter Jenkins/TCI in Atlanta and also used by Tim Kovar/Tree Climbing Planet and an association of rec instructors and facilitators GOTC as mentioned. To southsoundtree's point about lowerable DdRT systems, there is an established rescue protocol that doesn't require that a DdRT system be lowerable, it's not practical to have base anchored settings for a group climb with say 6-8 rope stations (this is common), the rope spaghetti would be overwhelming. You want to have one rope set at a high point that is your dedicated rescue system. Rescue typically consists of talking people thru anxiety or some minor difficulty from the ground, different set of problems/mindset then working climber rescue scenarios.

As far as how high you hang ropes... as high as you hang them people will climb to the top, you just want your rescue rope higher. I frequently have climbers go to 60' or more on a single pitch setting. Height of the rope set is primarily a time regulator, if you want people to be on rope no longer than a half hour don't set your ropes higher than 30'. If you want them to have a deeper/longer experience, give them a high setting. There's more to it as well, check out all the links and names referenced.

Limb walking more than a few feet off the rope's plumb line is risky for novices in a group climb, you can't protect them from swing back from your position running the climb on the ground. If you're facilitating one-on-one up in the tree with them, yeah you could take them on a limb walk.

Consider taking a rec facilitator course, as an arborist you can modify/enhance your facilitating approach after you learn what many others have learned doing this for 30 years or so. Also recommend contacting Paul McCathie, Isle of Wight, UK, he's a Kiwi expat arborist who launched a very successful facilitating/instruction business, his perspective is useful for the working arborist considering a rec climbing business launch: https://www.goodleaf.co.uk/treeclimbinginstructor/
    -AJ

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  11. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Active Member

Please share any updates about your progress. This idea has been stuck in my head for years so consider this thread watched.

moss and Stant82 like this.
  12. kiteflyingeek

kiteflyingeek Member

I'm also considering this myself. I have a couple from church coming over tomorrow night to try climbing. So, I may find there's no way I'd do this but I doubt it. I love explaining things to people & having them try it will be a huge plus to that process.

--andrew

13. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

This was a year ago. The youngster got to about 35 feet and told me he was scared of heights. With a bit of instruction and encouragement he was dancing on the limb. He spent about 45 minutes in the tree. His parents were trying to coax him out sooner. I told them to send him around in 10 years and I would have a job for him. This event is a yearly fundraiser and is coming up again in about a week. I expect to see him again.

Attached Files:

Tuebor and Stant82 like this.
  14. southsoundtree

A ground belay line can be used to arrest/ slow down a swing from a limb-walk.

15. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

I've created a web site for Rec Tree Climbers ( http://treexp.com ). I hope it helps us stay well informed, and serves to unify a worldwide community of tree climbing enthusiasts, working collectively on many fronts, including eco-restoration.

moss and Stant82 like this.
  16. NorthBranch

NorthBranch New Member

John@TreeXP. Just checked out your website. VERY WELL done and informative. Your embedded videos are great. Keep up the good work of promoting and sharing recreational tree climbing.

Stant82 and moss like this.
  17. Stant82

Stant82 Member

Yes well done, John@TrXP ! Looks great!