SRT Setup

Jsin

Looking to get a standard SRT setup, what would you guys suggest. I was looking at a Ascension and a pantin to start off. But other suggestions would be great. Remember this is just a starting point for me as far as SRT goes.

Thanks

Jsin

Just use a handascender connected with a sling to your saddle, under there a petzl croll attached to the suspending shoulder harnas and your saddle. A loop for the left foot connected to the hand ascender and a pantin on your right foot.
Take small steps and hold yourself against the rope. That's the best way to walk up.

But be safe ! - get to understand the whole hardware and techniques involved in SRT before trying without proper knowledge off the whole thing. If your not sure - just don't climb with it and go to see a climber that's doing SRT for a longer time.

good luck - SRT rocks !!

Attachments

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Before you lay money on the counter and buy gear find out what SRT style you plan on using. There are some pieces of gear that have specific applications in one setup but not another.

First...what harness are you using?

What rope do you climb on? The first thing that I talk about when approaching SRT is that the climber has to use a 7/16"/11mm rope. Traditional half inch rope is not going to work with most of the rope tools on the market.

What gear do you have now?

Are you planning on using SRT just for access or do you plan on making a working system?

Have you read the book "On Rope"? It is one of the best values if you compare the information/pound/cost. Start with the book, they are sold as used books dirt cheap.

banjo

[ QUOTE ]
Just use a handascender connected with a sling to your saddle, under there a petzl croll attached to the suspending shoulder harnas and your saddle. A loop for the left foot connected to the hand ascender and a pantin on your right foot.
Take small steps and hold yourself against the rope. That's the best way to walk up.

But be safe ! - get to understand the whole hardware and techniques involved in SRT before trying without proper knowledge off the whole thing. If your not sure - just don't climb with it and go to see a climber that's doing SRT for a longer time.

good luck - SRT rocks !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think attaching something to the chin strap on your helmet is a really, really bad idea.

It is !

But in my writing i'm not saying you should dot that. I'm mentioning a shoulder harnas (suspender) to attach the croll to.

The picture was to clear up the points off attachment to the saddle, because thats one off the most maken misstakes that climbers that are not sure about the setup don't attach the both ascenders to the saddle and just climb with only 1 backup.

There a lot off climbers using different methods and i'm allways looking for innovations and other techniques, but safety first.

climb safe !

wouter

Jsin

[ QUOTE ]
Before you lay money on the counter and buy gear find out what SRT style you plan on using. There are some pieces of gear that have specific applications in one setup but not another.

First...what harness are you using?

What rope do you climb on? The first thing that I talk about when approaching SRT is that the climber has to use a 7/16"/11mm rope. Traditional half inch rope is not going to work with most of the rope tools on the market.

What gear do you have now?

Are you planning on using SRT just for access or do you plan on making a working system?

Have you read the book "On Rope"? It is one of the best values if you compare the information/pound/cost. Start with the book, they are sold as used books dirt cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, I am climbing with a Sierra Moreno saddle....kind of old. As far as gear goes where do I start, I have enough to help out with a SRT, but will need to buy a few specific things for my setup. I am climbing on a few different ropes but for this I was going to use some P.I. The SRT was going to be used for Access, to start out. I just read Mike Tains article in Arbor Age and found it very cool how SRT could be used for a working system. All in time.

No, on the book. I will pick it up very soon.

The reason for going SRT is I have alot of pruning lined up in the coming months. Big White pines in the ADK's over looking Lake George. Great location and lots of customers to make happy.

Thanks for the help.

moss

There's a built in problem when you ask expert climbers best way to climb SRT. Their systems are highly evolved, tweaked out, and their systems are customized to their body type, climbing style, climbing requirements etc. etc.

My humble recommendation is to learn how to climb a two ascender Texas System aka Jugging rig (Sherrill has an illustration somewhere on their web site). It's clean and simple, works for a variety of climbing situations and is fairly straightforward to switchover to descent.

My other choice for a first-time SRT climber is a RADS, easy to climb, very easy to switch over to descent.

Later on if you decide to put together a ropewalker etc. you can re-purpose the gear you have to build a more advanced system.

Which reminds me, don't forget to figure it out and practice a switchover down low before you get up high on the rope. It's so much fun flying up a rope SRT you can quickly forget that you have no idea how to switch to rappel, yet.
-moss

Adkpk

[ QUOTE ]

My humble recommendation is to learn how to climb a two ascender Texas System aka Jugging rig (Sherrill has an illustration somewhere on their web site). It's clean and simple, works for a variety of climbing situations and is fairly straightforward to switchover to descent.

-moss

[/ QUOTE ]

How you doing, moss?

I use a Texas Tree Monkey System and am happy with it. Easy on easy off. And not real pricey.

Nice ascent treebing.

Worthaug

I haven't been on here long but I think Moss is the one to listen to, no offense to anyone else. His responses are so in depth and detailed you can't go wrong.

Own two cents, Petzl's Rads with handled ascender with footloop, grigri, and fixe pulley for 2:1 advantage on 11mm rope is such a breeze to learn adn adapt to access and work.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

good luck - SRT rocks !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think attaching something to the chin strap on your helmet is a really, really bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drew does it on this clip but it does seem a bit ....iffy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtqmTSLeSPE&feature=related

I have been climbing for 13 years now, but am new to srt.
I am going to buy this system
http://shop.freeworker.de/treeclimb-srt-2.html
Apart from the access line where I am going to use my normal Footlock lines htp snakebite.
I Like a simple rope anchor with a figure 8 and no side loaded carabiners and a backup on the carabiners that can open. Prefer a bullet proof system.

I am looking for an srt manual. Any recommendations? Even though I have been on rope for many years and have done quite a few competitions, it seems pretty complicated to navigate through the srt jungle :)

CutHighnLetFly

regular double rope tools, just the addition of a rope wrench.
foot ascender, micro pulley, one caribiner, rope wrench. also a necklace type jobber for moving the climbing system up the line with me when i ascend. next addition will be a two handled ascender.
the rope walking systems are more then i need for what i do. a little over whelming for me in all honesty. i get up easy enough, and thats with a bumming left elbow.
I Keep it simple