SRT rope wrench rope choice and prusik type?

peder-d

Hi.

I have been climbing for 15 years and done competition climbing national as well as international.
Anyway I am new to SRT and is really having a hard time finding some useful information about a few very important SRT subjects. Hope you guys can help me :)

1. Choice of rope? Is it ok to work climb SRT on a full static line ? Or is it only for access as it is when you climb ddrt?

2. I have tried to climb with a rope wrench and a 4 wraps/3 braids vt.
The vt seems a bit unreliable and a bit too long? It looks like some people climb with another variation of the vt, a Knut or a different prusik.

Hope you srt folks can help me ? :)

Have a great Christmas!

tomthetreeman

I use a rope wrench with a Michoacan with 4 wraps (8mm OP or HRC) on Tachyon or Safari. Both work pretty well, but my favorite is Safari on the anchor end with tachyon on the working end (when applicable). Hope this helps!

Tom

JeffGu

I use a Distel hitch with the Rope Wrench on any reasonably low stretch rope (KM Max, Yale 11.7, All Gear 11.5). The Distel is short, compact and reliable with either 9mm or 10mm cord in a 28" length. I've found that it is more tolerant to different rope/cord combinations than any other hitch I've tried.

Huskyman

Been climbing on a Hitch Climber/RW and a VT for years. Haven't had any issues with that combo as long as it's tied and set correctly. But I guess it's a personal choice. Distel is indeed a bit shorter than the VT if that's any concern...

paul phalloides

I use safari and a 5/16th beeline with a 5/2 xt and wrench. I use the same xt on ddrt too but with xtc rope and oceans split tail
I agree the xt is way more reliable than the vt.

ARLO

For very long ascents (50-100m) I think you want a very static line like Escalator or HTP. But for shorter climbs I don't think it matters much because the amount of stretch in the rope is not a huge issue. I have been using the Rope Runner a lot lately and I really like the way it performs on Samson Tendril. It is really smooth on descent compared to Tachyon. But I have not tried many of the other options, so this is just based on my limited experience.

moss

1. Choice of rope? Is it ok to work climb SRT on a full static line ? Or is it only for access as it is when you climb ddrt?
I prefer to work SRT off of arborist semi-statics, NE Ropes Tachyon works well for me with the ZK-2 Rope Wrench. It's my subjective opinion but I think the full on statics for work positioning are going to be hard on a climber's body in the long run, the softer ride on the semi-statics is a bit easier on your joints. Tom Treeman's solution (hangs a semi-static off off a full static) is a good one. Smooth ascent style reduces bounce on stretchy ropes.
-AJ

Treetopflyer

I have few setups with quick link connects utilized at primary suspension point, They allow the base tie side to remain a nice static line ,and with lots of line in the bag that can be used to add line into the system for climber from ground. Using a high quality arb rope 24 strand is the hot ticket i.m.o for working side of the system. I will even use the more static 24 strands as base anchor side like vortex or Yale 11.7$ ..well theyre static enough for me anyway on certain days.
When useing a system where you can split the system at the psp makes for easy redirecting to a higher point without tailng all your line up and over to the new higher t.I.p. if you didn't feel comfortable without inspection of tree setting high ty in or couldn't set high in a thick dense tree. Not to Forget to mention you can pull up a Delta or pear link with multiple working lines hanging from your first t.I.p. to toss around the canopy and use at your discretion. I like doing this on big spread canopy prunes..
I also like the easy conversion to a canopy anchor with quick link in which the way Ive doing it the base anchor line then becomes reteival line.If its left in place until i come down that's OK too ..oh yeah to the point of the thread.. I like the elderid static line I got from Treestuff for cheap$ as my base line..then my tachyon is the working side. That's a really sweet combo. Oh yeah with 10 mm armour prus in 4/1 michaocan.. Buttery goin ups, responsive as all get out on release and grab. I like this setup for smoothness . the vortex or Yale 11.7 are also awesome with that hitch and wrench with 10 mm armour blue,or really I have alot of cords I'll climb on they're all really good these days hard to find one I don't really care for.. But the armour prus 10 mm i think takes my vote overall as of late..I'm 220 with gear right now, soo Make of it what you will. Ohh lest I not forget the rugged awesomeness of cougar . I really love that line as well.

Last edited:

Ryan Keats

I love vortex. I know it is heavier; however, I like the trade off of larger rope for my hands.
Rope wrench should be used with a 28" cord. I personally use 8mm Ocean Polyester and I love it. I switch between a 3/4 and 4/3 VT. I did tie a 3/3 one time when I was distracted. I actually really liked it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it everyday.

jmaher

I use safari and a 5/16th beeline with a 5/2 xt and wrench. I use the same xt on ddrt too but with xtc rope and oceans split tail
I agree the xt is way more reliable than the vt.
I've never found the xt to self tend like a vt. Granted sometimes a loose vt needs a set... But with a bit of tail weight, that pig is hungry for slack. Does nothing but eat.

Huskyman

I've never found the xt to self tend like a vt. Granted sometimes a loose vt needs a set... But with a bit of tail weight, that pig is hungry for slack. Does nothing but eat.
Totally agree. Tends really well. I never had any problems with the VT.
(Just started using the Bulldog Bone, so I guess I'm going hitchless now..... :) )

paul phalloides

I only ever really had a problem with the vt one time but it gave me a startle. Because of that I tend to lock off with a bite thru the lower biner and around the pulley of the hc whenever I'm worried something might slip while making the cut. I sometimes forget to release it before breaking my knot and it's never slipped lol

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I love vortex. I know it is heavier; however, I like the trade off of larger rope for my hands.
Rope wrench should be used with a 28" cord. I personally use 8mm Ocean Polyester and I love it. I switch between a 3/4 and 4/3 VT. I did tie a 3/3 one time when I was distracted. I actually really liked it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it everyday.
3/3 VT is sick...have been using it for years

Ryan Keats

I'll have to give it another chance. The vortex was new, and the hitch cord may have been as well. Now that they're dirty, they should grip better.

Ryan Keats

I completely agree. I would occasionally tie it the opposite way by mistake when I first started the VT.. It was a big source of frustration as it would never hold.