• Would like to, but I'm not a definite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, no can do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chris_girard

Re: SRT - Pandora\'s Box?

[ QUOTE ]
A running bowline is pretty bomber if a proper back-up (Yosemite back-up or Double fisherman's) is used.

Training your entire crew on the intracasies of the anchoring system will aid in that "wishy-washy" feeling.

The ability to have a "bombproof" anchoring system should be the primary thought and the ability to make it releasable should be utilized only if the entire crew is training on it. Many times we make the anchoring system more complex, adding more gear to the system that could "flop" and misalign.

Donny

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more Donny. When it comes to anchoring systems, "less is best" IMO. As a matter of fact, the running bowline is usually my primary basal ancoring system of choice.

For years while climbing DdRT, I was never concerned with being able to be lowered out of the tree, and even now with SRT, I still have that same mentality of looking out for myself while aloft.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer

X3. I climb with that same mentality Chris. But have lately started meesing around with the ring/ring alpine butterfly top tie which I think will replace the basal tie most times for me.

Colin

Administrator
Administrator

I've even done away with the ring/ring and went to a midline loop knot attached with a connecting link (no carabiner). Very simple.

If I can't hit my final PSP, then I will just use a running bowline with a Yosemite finish to manouver through the canopy, when I reah my PSP, leave enough to retrieve it and tie an alpine butterfly and connect it with a rated rapide link....little gear, less headache.

Donny

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator

Too much is made about the benefit of doing a ground-based/non-climbing rescue for a basal tie. It would be hard to put a 'value' on this option.

In the whole scheme of things I've found over the [many] years of climbing SRT that using a basal anchor because of not being/needing to do a PSP isolation is a much bigger benefit.

If I had a situation or ground crew that wasn't able to monitor my basal anchor I'd have them remove it and to a retrievable in the tree and eliminate any issues downstairs.

RopeShield

[ QUOTE ]

However; I would like to ask a few questions.

1) Will the reverence for SRT exist if the user is required to employ a secondary back up line? (i.e. similar to rope access workers)

2) Are SRT proponents aware that the regulators may interpret the acceptance of SRT by the Arb community as a means to demand conformance with existing rope access regulations? (i.e. secondary back up line)

3) Would SRT advocates accept the obligation to adhere to current rope access regulations for other industries?

[/ QUOTE ]

My answers
#1 Yes because I can not see it slowing things down that much, honestly.
#2 No because I see tree work more comparable to the tree as primary/three point contact with rope access as secondary
#3 Yes but if they are fair and just.

Good thread and mb should redo with a simple Poll.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer

[ QUOTE ]
I've even done away with the ring/ring and went to a midline loop knot attached with a connecting link (no carabiner). Very simple.

If I can't hit my final PSP, then I will just use a running bowline with a Yosemite finish to manouver through the canopy, when I reah my PSP, leave enough to retrieve it and tie an alpine butterfly and connect it with a rated rapide link....little gear, less headache.

Donny

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a delta link correct? Well here I go, I like less gear.