SRT on 5/8" Rope

Muggs

SRT on 5/8\" Rope

This is something that I have been playing with on and off for a couple of years. I finally made the switch a few months ago and haven't looked back. I don't have really big hands or anything but I have always felt like 1/2 inch rope was just too small in my hand and I always preferred my grip on 5/8".

So basically, I just looked at the amount of grip that you get with a 3/8" split tail on 1/2" rope, and how it increases when you go smaller, ie 5/16" split tail on 7/16" rope. So I figured instead of going smaller, what if you stepped it up and made everything bigger. Seemed to me that having more surface area in contact between rope and split tail would spread out the load more, so that a hitch wouldn't bind up so badly(like going SRT on 1/2" rope without a rope wrench). So I started experimenting with 5/8" rope and 1/2" split tail, just using bits of old climbing line for a hitch cord. I don't use anything else in the set up, it doesn't need any sort of rope wrench device or anything, I'm climbing on just a static 5/8" with a 1/2" split tail. It took some playing around with different hitches and hitch cords but I finally found a combo that works well. I'm using a 4/2 XT made out of True Blue and my rope is Samson Static Kernmantle. Obviously I would prefer a heat resistant split tail but there are no 1/2" options that I know of so for now this works. For tie-ins I either use a friction saver up top with a pull down rope or a basal tie-off.

I don't have any pictures of my setup right now but I think its pretty easy to visualize. I'm just interested to hear if anyone else has been playing around with 5/8" rope for climbing. I can't tell you just how much I prefer this setup to doubled rope and to SRT on 1/2" rope. You really have to try it for yourself.

I ascend by footlocking or just pulling myself up the rope, but I always try to climb the tree where I can. Regarding the weight of 5/8" rope, it hasn't seemed to be an issue. I adjusted really quickly and now its the only way I would want to climb.

This SRT system also works really well for footlocking. I have been using a single leg of 5/8" for footlocking for a long time, again I just always found it a lot easier than managing two legs of 1/2" rope, also easier to set up (no need to isolate, etc.) Again, regarding increased rope weight, especially for footlocking, a single leg of 5/8" is lighter than a double leg of 1/2", I highly recommend it.

Re: SRT on 5/8\" Rope

Doesn't that size of rope get heavy pretty quick? That seems like it would be a major drawback to me. But pretty cool and interesting none the less!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning

That's a great solution!

Yarding the heavy rope seems like it might have some offsets

surveyor

Sounds interesting, maybe 9/16 would work in this same manner. Do you ascend then just with footlocking?

Muggs

I ascend by footlocking or just pulling myself up the rope, but I always try to climb the tree where I can. Regarding the weight of 5/8" rope, it hasn't seemed to be an issue. I adjusted really quickly and now its the only way I would want to climb. Especially for footlocking, a single leg of 5/8" is lighter than a double leg of 1/2", I highly recommend it.

treebing

I have clkmbed on 9/16th quite a bit and def see the advantages. Didnt think to try it without a wrench though. I barely need a hitch with the 9/16ths. Cool

Fairfield

I am going the other direction. I am going to be buying Petzl 10.5mm static line. Lighter and can put more in my rope bag. Plus the big thing that is good for me with that size line is that I use the Petzl RIG, so for short ascents it is a smoother action tending the slack.