SRT devices

Mowerr

I see most folks only talking multicenders...I think a better question is, what isn't an Srt device ?

John@TreeXP

It's better to use a more common name for the sake of branding, imho. I'm thinking no one is going remember how to spell Sticht Hitch, compared to a Stitch or Ring Hitch.

Brocky

You’re right, it probably would be easier, and it didn’t help that I misspelled it introducing it. There already is a Ring Hitch, just a variation of the Oval VT, replacing the carabiner with a large ring, and Stitched doesn’t really apply to how it’s tied, or its appearance.

John@TreeXP

I have no problem honoring the inventor of the hitch, but it's not the same, since it no longer uses the Sticht Plate. In either case, I'll now refer to this as the Stitch Hitch (Aka: The Sticht Hitch). I'd call it the Brocky Hitch, but there's already 100's if not more of those, I'm guessing.

Brocky

If a Stitch Plate and a Viper Hitch cord, spliced with flexible legs, hadn’t been setting on my desk one day, this hitch wouldn’t have appeared. Unlike the Oval VT, I wasn’t trying to come up with a new SRT hitch, it was a “I wonder what would happen if I did this”. So instead of a typical name I give hitches, like, Oval VT Variation C, which this would have been, the rhythming Sticht Hitch sounded better.

Brocky

I see most folks only talking multicenders...I think a better question is,
Whatever is used needs to slide up and down the rope easily and under control, and holds you hands free. Many are able to be used to down climb a rope, but I don’t consider them multiscenders.

Mowerr

Whatever is used needs to slide up and down the rope easily and under control, and holds you hands free. Many are able to be used to down climb a rope, but I don’t consider them multiscenders.
My point is that the op thread is very generalized. Meaning he said a something about friction devices not just up and down so that at least includes friction savers, brakes rings blocks and I think the list ends up being smaller and more informative when u ask yourself "what can't i use srt?"

John@TreeXP

John would ya take it fuckin easy for a minute.
Sorry man. I'll chill. I think the Sticht Hitch is a great alternative multicender and fun to use, mainly for its light footprint. I honor and commend Sticht and Brocky for their innovations and creativity, especially Brocky for taking the idea to a whole new level.

What defines a true multicender is the device's ability to perform well in a self-tending and bi-directional way. Descenders like the GriGri are certainly used for ascent, but the cammed belay devices like these are not in the same category as those that enable a self-tending feature, like the HH, Akimbo, RR, Uni, RW, Zig Wrench, etc.

Last edited:

Mowerr

I know somehow that you are a really good guy John...sometimes we all gotta just take it easy. Hence why i am still smoking ciggs and shit...