SRT devices

Reinis

Hello! How many SRT friction devices there actually is on the market?
I know of the following:
ZigZag
Akimbo
Rope Runner
Rope wrench
Uniscender
BulldogBone

rope-a-dope

Zigzag needs a wrench or chicane above it for srt.
Many mechanical descenders can function for srt climbing too, like
petzl rig, I'D
ISC d4
Many others.
Your list of multicenders is pretty much all the big hits.

Brocky

There is also some brake assist belay devices that work as multiscenders, and a handful of hitches also.

John@TreeXP

Don't forget the Stitch Hitch.

I took it out today in the gorgeous sunshine, under a 80' Red Cedar. I ran it on single rope up and down a bunch of times, ascending about 25 feet high, using 11.8 mm Drenaline on SRS. Under my full weight and after repeated use, the Stitch Hitch got a lot stiffer and harder to break. Initially though, I found it to be very similar to the Hitch Hiker, but way less clunky. While I was using the same 5 wrap set up used in the youtube video, using another hitch cord, line 9mm EpiCord with enough length to get a good 6 wrap, I think I'd be able to get this well dialed in and have it become a very usable multicender. Aside from the expected sit-back it advanced surprisingly well and due to its ultra light weight and compared to other multicenders, it competes right up there with the big boys. For tending, I used a Petzl Torse for a chest harness and connected onto the carabiner, in between the legs of the hitch's spliced eyes. I have not yet tested it on a lanyard or in an MRS system, but based on the feeling I had using it for SRS, I think it'll run beautifully. Again, I must stress the importance of finding the right combination of hitch cord, rope, etc., as most experienced climbers will understand when it comes to getting your climbing system properly dialed in. In that regard, this ranks up there with other finicky devices that work well or not so well, depending on the climber, their rope, ring size, their hitch cord and the number of wraps on the hitch knot, the weather, etc.

Last edited:

John@TreeXP

There’s a thread on it with correct spelling of Sticht Hitch that gives more info, no sewing is required!
Sticht isn't a word. Maybe it's used as a name, I suppose and who am I to question the inventor for using an obscure name? The correct spelling for sticht is Stitch, or am I missing something?

Last edited: