spray co. vs. tree co.

hl_tree

I was doing some spraying this afternoon for an account where that's what I do... I go in and spray the trees for whatever they might need. Somebody I know does the tree work... doesn't do a good job, but he did get me the account.

Today when I finished the spraying I spoke with the customer and said that certain things need to be dealt with... vine encroachment, invasive trees and branches, and so forth... otherwise all the spraying in the world won't help their trees to thrive. He automatically gave the work to me.

How do you guys work it when you're the spray company and not the tree company on a property? I mean it would seem very easy as the spray company to sell pruning and various other things.

river

this is how i see it....at the end of the day you have to go home and tell your wife (we are broke) or we can have dinner tonight. the tree industry is tough you have to get it when you can without pissing off to many people. i personally will never allow myself to go home broke.

TProsser

In the early years at our company, I found two pruning companies who where run by owners that seemed to have integrity and care about doing good work and taking care of he customer.

I gave them the jobs and they gave me 15%. It worked out great for a few years.

It was some easy money and it gave me something to do in the winter.

Then one of these guys decided my side of the fence looked greener and he started competing with me. (So be careful)

These days we do all of our own pruning.

But definitely PHC is much more profitable. If your good at it and the trees you take care of are healthier and better looking - You will never have to go home with out the bacon

hl_tree

Not for nothing as one of my friends would say... but the customer doesn't want my tree buddy coming back. I tried to get them to give him the work, or even their gardener... but they want me to do it because they know I know what I am doing... plus according to them it's like pulling teeth try to get him over there.

TProsser

Yea - we had to interview a number of people and we wrote standards they had to follow to do our work.

We would always hear from the customer if there was an issue.

worked for a few years anyways