Splicing Stable Braid Question

JeffGu

You splicing wizards could quite probably help me out... I want to take a stab at splicing stuff other than 3-strand. I'd like to buy just the tools necessary to get started with the following ropes, without buying a lot of stuff that I'll end up not using or needing. I'll spend what I need to, for what works best, but I want to make sure I don't go overboard in the event I decide it's not for me (although I think that is unlikely). For now, just what works best for the job I'm most interested in doing.

Tenex Tec
I understand that hollowbraid ropes are very easy to splice, so will start with this one. I'm really only interested in splicing 5/8" and 3/4" for now.

Stable Braid
Is this one hard to splice? Only interested in the 5/8" size at this time.

Husky
I thought that I read somewhere that the All Gear Husky rigging rope was easy to splice. I'm very interested in splicing the 5/8" rope.

Any help you can offer will be most appreciated. Remember, I have NO IDEA what splicing tools are needed for what ropes, and the only splicing tool I own is a Brian Toss Point Hudson Phid that I use for the 3-strand ropes.

Levi.CO

Toss wands are great. Lube is great. Dig through the splice rack and you will find many gems that will help you greatly. Don't get discouraged, it can be hard at first, or not for some. Samson 1/2 stable braid was a bit hard for me, Samson 3/4 is super easy comparatively. So on and so on. Coat hanger is awesome if you don't have a toss wand. Watch Nick from WI's videos, they are great. so on and so on.

evo

I second what every one has said... I made my own fid out of aluminum tubing from the hardware store. Just cut the tip at an angle then sanded smooth. Now I wouldn't go through the effort and I'd buy one before making.

Now I use a wire fid most of the time, for most of splicing I do. I've done coat hangers, but I do like music wire better. A good handle is nice, so I trimmed a broken hammer handle and drilled a hole in it. The wire is bent in half, with the ends going into the hole and wrapped around. For larger ropes when you fold the wire in half I would try to make a radius bend instead of a tight 180 deg.

Using a Toss wand or wire fid can be confusing while reading instructions. All of the entry and exit's for the fid are opposite. You should do just fine on the ropes you listed. My first splicing was Bluemoon and the second was Tachyon.. Being very stubborn helps too. Give your self half a day, a beer or two, and you'll do fine.

JeffGu

All of the entry and exit's for the fid are opposite.
OK, that makes sense. It looks like a tubular fid is used rather like a sewing needle, I presume, and the wand/wire fid you're going in from the other end and grabbing a strand/core or whatever and pulling it out the place where the regular fid would be coming out, so the wand would go in at that point and pulled back out there.

Alright, thanks for your input, guys! I'll start cruising the splicing tools and get some short lengths of rope to practice on. Maybe try making some slings until the splices look right enough to risk trying it on a 200' hank. Got a lot of video to watch, it looks like.

RajElectric

All Gear husky is super easy to splice, you gotta lock stitch that one right away or the bury might fall out just laying there! (kinda a joke, kinda true , just make sure you equalize the core and cover after you remove the core)

I also bought some aluminum rod, drilled out a hole in the end and ran a tap through it so it threads and holds the tails you are pulling.

Worthaug

I would like to add that if you're willing to invest in some tools all you'd need from Treestuff.com is (but not limited to :))
High quality scissors
Wire fid
Yale basket fid
Marlowe whipping twine
Sail makers needle (large)

Samsonropes.com will have PDFs of instructions and fid lengths.
Enjoy your new obsession!

JeffGu

All Gear husky is super easy to splice...
Thanks, Raj... I thought I'd read that. Maybe in a review of the rope, or on here.

High quality scissors
Wire fid
Yale basket fid
Marlowe whipping twine
Sail makers needle (large)
Worthaug, my man... that is exactly what I have in my cart, right now! I must be on the right track! Was thinking of adding a Toss wand, but I think I'll wait and see how things go with the wire fid. Thanks!

oldoakman

The Clause kevlar scissors at $24.95 are an awesome tool for the price. Worth Sorry every penny and then some. For wire FIDS, check with a local hobby ship that sells radio controlled airplanes. I've gotten 3foot lengths of very stiff music wire in different diameters for about $2.00each, then bend them as needed. I'll try to post a pic of my collection. Also tree stuff has the best prices on the Samson aluminum FIDS.

I'm a rec climber who has been lurking and learning from the pros for awhile; thank you all very much! Got inspired to try splicing and it is fun and relaxing. I have been using safety wire with a broom handle as a wire fid (cheap and disposable) and found sailmaker's needles etc at Wally World sewing dept. Done some eye splices in Ocean Poly and Poison Ivy by following the two videos on sailrite.com website for Class 1 DB eye splice and the extensive tips I've picked up here. Thanks again! I bought the Samson Splicing Kit from TreeStuff and use the aluminum fids for the looser ropes, but the safety wire fid works pretty well and I've got lots of that. Going to pick up some music wire when I can.

oldoakman

I'm a rec climber who has been lurking and learning from the pros for awhile; thank you all very much! Got inspired to try splicing and it is fun and relaxing. I have been using safety wire with a broom handle as a wire fid (cheap and disposable) and found sailmaker's needles etc at Wally World sewing dept. Done some eye splices in Ocean Poly and Poison Ivy by following the two videos on sailrite.com website for Class 1 DB eye splice and the extensive tips I've picked up here. Thanks again! I bought the Samson Splicing Kit from TreeStuff and use the aluminum fids for the looser ropes, but the safety wire fid works pretty well and I've got lots of that. Going to pick up some music wire when I can.
Welcome to the buzz cliff. I watched the videos on the sailrite site and have to say they seem to be a bit busy and a little confusing to me although it gets you to the same conclusion. Check out the new england ropes video with andy wall. I have followed his direction with good success.

Thanks, I have seen the NE Ropes video, and it is very good. Shorter and more concise. I got used to the sailrite video with the Toss wand which pulls like my wire fid and measurements such as 24x or 14x the rope diameter; I use millimeters instead of inches which are easier (why aren't we on the metric system?) Yes, it is confusing when he says "core" when he means "splice" and "milk" instead of "massage" - you have to look at which part he's pointing to. Now I'm trying to work up the nerve to try some core-dependent splices on 8mm Beeline I have, and some 6mm Ocean Vectran.

macswan

Thanks, Raj... I thought I'd read that. Maybe in a review of the rope, or on here.

Worthaug, my man... that is exactly what I have in my cart, right now! I must be on the right track! Was thinking of adding a Toss wand, but I think I'll wait and see how things go with the wire fid. Thanks!
Definitely don't skimp on scissors. Using house scissors sucks. And I swear they get dull, especially on the high mod fibers. Like in armor prus and such

Worthaug

I have two toss wands that I haven't used in 2 years...

JTree

If anyone's interested in splicing wands, I'm going to be selling an arborist size (ex-long) and a micro. As soon as I get back to town, I'll post them on treebay.....unless any of y'all want them? Again, I can't ship for another week and a half or so. PM me if your interested.

Personally, I like the exact list w - hog is using. That is a STACKED kit!

Worthaug

If anyone's interested in splicing wands, I'm going to be selling an arborist size (ex-long) and a micro. As soon as I get back to town, I'll post them on treebay.....unless any of y'all want them? Again, I can't ship for another week and a half or so. PM me if your interested.

Personally, I like the exact list w - hog is using. That is a STACKED kit!
But I'm gonna keep mine