Speedlines

hey what's up guys, I would like your opinion on speed lines. I get 550 Cord is Static rope, but do you think using it as webbing would be ok? Doubling it up knotting to a Carabiner and sending it, down your tied off line. Just a thought.

Hoowasat

I recently did my first removal using a speedline, and it worked much better than I anticipated. I used the COTS webbing loops, but any climbing- or rigging-quality rope loop would work fine. Para-cord? Not me. I was sending limbs out of a 95-foot pine at about a 45° angle, and I was expecting to feel movement in the spar ... but there was almost none.

Hey Gez, which Williamsport?

96coal449

Yes .... welcome to the buzz! And a NO to paracord for rigging. New laces .... sure, just not used for rigging. When a parachute is loaded it's load is dispersed by hundreds of paracord. I would not shock a single cord or abrade it with tree bark.

rope-a-dope

Bulk webbing is cheap and easy to make your own knotted slings. 1" nylon can be found in most outdoor gear shops or amongst the interwebs and would be more appropriate than pcord.

I recently did my first removal using a speedline, and it worked much better than I anticipated. I used the COTS webbing loops, but any climbing- or rigging-quality rope loop would work fine. Para-cord? Not me. I was sending limbs out of a 95-foot pine at about a 45° angle, and I was expecting to feel movement in the spar ... but there was almost none.

Hey Gez, which Williamsport?
Pa

flyingsquirrel25

In most situations I have found you can skip the pulley. Just straps and carabiners as long as the angle is steep enough. Normally we are just using the technique to turn and move the brush to fit in out specific LZ and away from a target. If you are looking to use speed lines to transport debris over longer flatter distances then pulleys are very nice.

Thanks. I asked because I have family near Williamsport, PA (in Lock Haven & Jersey Shore), and I went to high school in Williamsport, MD.
No kidding I graduated from williamsport high. My wife and I have a special needs ministry which my business supports at our Church in JS

So I have a good friend who gave me some 4" Nylong Strap that I thought about cutting down, and than sewing them into small loops than adding biners but on the other hand I may just invest in a real nice speed line kit Wes Spur has. I like doing things as diy and cheap as possible but I can see I can't get around this one. Which my original thought was do some web sling out of 550, and add biners etc

Hoowasat

No kidding I graduated from williamsport high. My wife and I have a special needs ministry which my business supports at our Church in JS
You graduated from the WHS in MARYLAND? I had to relocate during my senior year and officially graduated from a small high school in VA, but I will always be a Class of '76 River-Rat from Williamsport High. My stepson is a special needs kid, but they never classified him ... has an extra sliver of chromosome. He loves to pack rope for me.

Hoowasat

I like doing things as diy and cheap as possible but I can see I can't get around this one.
True. Took me awhile to realize DIY is good sometimes, but one can often invest more time/money into a project that could've completed sooner for less total $$$.

Last edited:

Jehinten

I've recently spliced my own slings out of 3/8 tenex (or something very similar) that I received in a bag o rope. The splicing was easy and they work great. I even used a couple for knot less rigging which I loaded heavier than I would suggest doing on a speedline. They worked great. I'm not sure the cost of this cordage, but I got probably 400 feet of it for $60 in my bag.

hseII

So I have a good friend who gave me some 4" Nylong Strap that I thought about cutting down, and than sewing them into small loops than adding biners but on the other hand I may just invest in a real nice speed line kit Wes Spur has. I like doing things as diy and cheap as possible but I can see I can't get around this one. Which my original thought was do some web sling out of 550, and add biners etc

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=140&item=752
36" @ $5.00/ per after the discount.
20 loops are a plenty.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=30&item=5873

I went with these:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1977

flyingsquirrel25

These are great for speed lines too. Quick on and off, the glide nicely and are half the cost of The locking variety.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=128&item=15240

You can't beat how inexpensive sewn webbing straps are.
Once you and your crew get experienced with running the system you will notice more straps make things quicker. My kit has between 14 and 21 straps in it. On a quick couple zips for pruning one bundle (7) comes out. On a removal I'll have 7 in the tree, 7 on my rope ready to come up and 7 in reserve in case things really get going good. This way the ground crew doesn't have to worry about watching/counting straps. If there isn't a set on the rope they put one there when they have a chance. Very seldom do I have to ask for straps.