South of the Equator ID

/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif No guesses?

I've seen this tree growing in Mexico. I have aslo seen it in Florida, I guess it may also grow in So. California. When I've seen it in FL it did not have this shape, more conical hadit. Kinda sharp, hard, needle type leaves.

Leon,

Excellent!

I was under the impression that it was Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria araucana) but I could be wrong. When I was there I wasn't with any local arborists or anyone that spoke english as their primary language so i could be wrong. Are both angustifolia and araucana seeds edibile?

Araucaria angustifolia is native to Brazil and Argentina. Here's an excerpt from The Tropical Tree Seed Manual:

"The wood is soft, with a creamy yellowish color; the corewood becomes darker when cut and has no resinous canals. It is used for plywood, studs, strucutral beams, mouldings, and pulpwood. The seeds are edible, and local inhabitants collect them as a food source."

Not at all common in Hawaii. However, I work in a botanical garden and we have a couple of small ones in the greenhouse waiting to be planted out.

Keep the Tree ID pictures coming Eric! This is fun. I'll try and find some pictures of a tropical tree that shouldn't be too hard for you temperate folks to recognize.