Sonetics

I have been pricing radios from sonetics and I was quoted about $6500 for 4 headsets. Does anyone use sonetics? Does this price seem fair? Are they worth the extra cost vs other brands that run around $300 for a pair?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cerviarborist

Maths to the rescue! Would you expect 11x the performance for 11x the price? What would 11x the performance of Sena sets look/sound like? If you bought 2 pair of Senas for $600, what could you do with the remaining $5900 off the cost of the other brand? If I'm going to pay that much money for headsets, I'd better be able to reach Alex Shigo in the hereafter on them.

Maths to the rescue! Would you expect 11x the performance for 11x the price? What would 11x the performance of Sena sets look/sound like? If you bought 2 pair of Senas for $600, what could you do with the remaining $5900 off the cost of the other brand? If I'm going to pay that much money for headsets, I'd better be able to reach Alex Shigo in the hereafter on them.
What model of Sena radio do you recommend?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cerviarborist

The 10R has a much lower profile than previous versions, so I think it's got the look (not that I care a fig what I look like when I'm working). For me, form follows function. As to noise cancelling, I can make a phone call from my helmet, then fire up a chainsaw and rev it while holding a conversation. The party I'm calling can understand me just fine, and I can hear them clearly as well. I truly can't imagine paying 11 times what I paid for my 10R for any reason other than to talk directly to Alex Shigo....or maybe Jimi Hendrix.

TimBr

From Wikipedia: " Born in Seattle, Washington, Hendrix began playing guitar at the age of 15. In 1961, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and trained as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division; he was granted an honorable discharge the following year."

I think "kissing the sky" was a reference to his time as a trainee with the U.S. paratroopers.

Tim

Here's the link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

I thought I'd read that he washed out of the program due to an injury he sustained in a jump. I believe he was patriotic towards America. A quiet, self-effacing kind of guy.

Here's a link to the lyrics, written by Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=jimi+h...5-4&sk=&cvid=BB32F219130843E78F67D4D6ADC515BD

Last edited:

Crimsonking

After using both, I think sonetics is a good investment if you're going to use that type of communication regularly. Bumping out is much more difficult to pull off, unlike sena, and, also unlike sena, bumping out won't affect multiple people. I find the pairing of sena to be far too painstaking. I enjoy the seal of the sonetics muffs better than the modified muffs most of us use with sena. The system tells you your headset charge, and pairing to the base station is a snap. There are also no wires to install in helmets or units to forget/lose.

The downsides are needing a power source for the base station, having a stationary range radius, and boom mics, if those bother you.

Senas are great, too, for different reasons. They don't require a boom mic, the unit can be detached to charge or swap (though I've seen a few destroyed or lost because of their detachability), and there is no base station to get out of range from (just other units).

So both are great. Imo, the simplicity of the sonetics system will pay the cost difference if used regularly. If these systems are only used occasionally, sena is a good investment, but even then the simplicity may be worth the big price tag of sonetics.

No, I don't work for them.