Sold chipper time to buy a laptop

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Now that 4,000 pounds of iron has been changed into some long green $$$ I'm going to buy a laptop. But...I'm in a quandry. Maybe I can get some help from the gang at the Treebuzz Cafe.

For years I've been getting the needle from my brother about Apple's system. Many others wave the Apple banner too. It seems like a great OS. The catch is that I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to figuring things out.

First?

If people have made the jump from PC to Apple, was it difficult?

Second?

My desktop is a PC and has lots of info that I will still need to use. How difficult would life be for me if I have different OS? With the same OS it's really easy to flow things back and forth. I've done a little synchronization with an old laptop.

Third?

What features and specifications should I be looking at? How do I determine how much horsepower I really need?

Fourth?

A while ago there was a thread on laptops that I'm going to research. What brands or sources have people found dependable? What to stear clear of?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

NickfromWI

Tom, I don't think it really matters which you use. Otherwise one woulda put the other outta business by now. I've used both extensively, but mostly PC. If I were you, I'd stick with PC just because you're used to it.

I have a HP Pavilion with like a 16" screen. As far as laptops go, it's quite big. I LOVE the huge screen, but I hate toting it around. The next laptop I buy will be much smaller. Maybe even one of those tiny VIAO (or however you spell that) made by sony.

Considering that high-end electronics will be obsolete about 5 minutes before you buy it, I would get the most souped-up stuff I could afford.

love
nick, who really doesn't know much about computers, so don't listen too closely to what he's saying

davespencer

Tom, My brother in university just bought an apple laptop but he is having a heck of a time getting service for it if he has a problem.

klimbinfool

Tom, did you get rid of your bus for $$$$ ..? ha ha .Anyway .. My wife bought a Sony VIAO lap top and she loves it. Although , everything I have from Camera to pc is Sony.I have been very happy with them. Maybe more expensive, but a worthwhile product.

Greg

Chum

Can't offer any specifics on electronics, but your move reminds me of hammering a plowshare out of a sword. Or a pen from a bayonet.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum currently. Cameras and lab gear and old computer things for GVW and welding stuff. Need hard business cash for boat eventually. If I continue posting and politique, I'll end-up in Guantanamo.

Tony

Tom,

I have a PC at work and an Apple at home. I intsalled Microsoft office for Mac at home and have no problem flopping back and forth. Occasionally the tool bars and other such things will be in different locations, but that is minor.

Tony

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I want to be able to have the mobility is all.

Same as at home, word processing, presentations ala Powerpoint, nothing real special. Playing cd's. Wireless will be in it too.

Are there things that I might be missing? Any specs that I should be hitting?

No music recording or video making outside of what PP is capable of.

I've gotten some good information from people about making the jump to Apple OS.

davespencer

it's all about the ram. Get as much as you can reasonably afford. At one point I had a 400 mhz computer with 500 megs of ram and a friend had a brand new 1.6 Ghz computer with 128 megs of ram. My computer was WAY faster.

Dave

tinman44

in the business of printing and advertising for the most part, ppl use macs for graphics and editing of pictures, but check their email and write resumes with their pc. halo2 (a very popular game owned by microsoft) used some macs to create the game along with their pc's. its all about what you want. i love dell's equipment but their customer service is out of india and they just use the q & a process on dells website to help you anyways. so if your not real computer literate i would go with something local perhaps an hp from office depot. i will still get my gear from dell

tinman44

my point is its hard to understand what they're trying to say. also the only help they can offer is from a website its a rarity they have any real computer skills. i have dealt with dells customer support so many times, and shouldnt have had too. sent two laptops back to them and finally told them i'll order a laptop when they get it figured out.