SNOW!

oceans

Here's a peek at the winter we've been having up here in New England. The weather has made for some difficulties, but also some fun. I hope you enjoy this vid featuring the Mini Bone Lanyard Adjuster in action. It performs quite well with 10mm lines in DdRT mode and SRT mode.

This was also posted on page 130 of the Compact Bull Dog Bone thread, located in the Stationary Rope Technique forum. There will likely be some discussion about the device there. Just posting here for kicks. Cheers!

KYAPLE

You got game! Couple things: never seen the scabbard on the chainsaw in the tree before! Genius. Probably would limit the cambium I sometimes bust up dragging my 200 around. What are you using for bridge material?

As always, super smooth Whip! Catch up with ya soon,

Kieran

oceans

You got game! Couple things: never seen the scabbard on the chainsaw in the tree before! Genius. Probably would limit the cambium I sometimes bust up dragging my 200 around. What are you using for bridge material?

As always, super smooth Whip! Catch up with ya soon,

Kieran
Thanks, Kieran! The scabbard gives me a bit of peace in mind when I think about things such as my base tied side of climb line. It also eliminates the calf biting and rope snagging. It just makes for a totally clean method for me, personally. It's the new snap style so it rarely comes off unintentionally.

Bridge material is KMIII. It exceeds the Globe 3000 spec, but I'll be going back to manufacturer recommendations ASAP. ;)

Last edited:

oldoakman

I love that chainsaw scabbard! Whoever came up with it is a genius!. I have mine bungied to 2 "S" mini biners, one attached to the back of my saddle, the other to the scabbard. When I need the saw, I can pull the scabbard and just let it hang behind me, no worries about dropping it. Keeps the left leg of the SIPS nice and snag free.

treehumper

I looked at those new scabbards and wondered how well they stay in place. Thanks for the demo. I think the ROI in reduced pant damage alone is worth it! The peace of mind is gravy.

oceans

I love that chainsaw scabbard! Whoever came up with it is a genius!. I have mine bungied to 2 "S" mini biners, one attached to the back of my saddle, the other to the scabbard. When I need the saw, I can pull the scabbard and just let it hang behind me, no worries about dropping it. Keeps the left leg of the SIPS nice and snag free.
I like that. I had a few set up similar a couple years ago for some of the greener climbers where I was working. The scabbards are totally affordable and worth their weight in gold IMO. I mean, it's not like we let our hand saws hang out uncovered. Might as well do the same for the Chainsaw!?

John_KAYS

I like this video almost as much as the one I saw earlier today in the Compact Bulldog Bone thread! You make climbing in all that cold snow look fun. Makes me want to go dump snow down the back of my shirt and stick my gloves in a bucket of ice water.

As I said, great technique throughout. I like how simple you keep it...Marlin spiking the lanyard, thimble switchovers, and just about everything you are doing is so sweet. It's cool to see that mini BDB in action too. It's neat to see creative ways of incorporating the lanyard, rather than simply throwing it around the first branch I see. Those are pretty nifty transitions.

...waiting for your next video. :descansando:

oceans

I like this video almost as much as...Makes me want to go dump snow down the back of my shirt and stick my gloves in a bucket of ice water.
...waiting for your next video. :descansando:
You crack up, John! While all the snow has been super fun, and so beautifully inspiring, I do not recommend the ice water. ;)

Next vid will have to be this Spring, perhaps a bit later. Gotta have something new to vid. We'll see what comes down the hill here for a hot minute.

Stihlmadd

having never worked in the snow and being that I have been handing out a bit about my lovely sunny days I am torn between how beautiful that video was to watch and my total ignorance on what it was like to actually be there.
was a great thing to watch though , thank you.
and the mini-bulldog bone does look like something I would be interested in.

oceans

having never worked in the snow and being that I have been handing out a bit about my lovely sunny days I am torn between how beautiful that video was to watch and my total ignorance on what it was like to actually be there.
was a great thing to watch though , thank you.
and the mini-bulldog bone does look like something I would be interested in.
I'm really glad you enjoyed that, man. Snow can make things tricky when the weather warms up. It gets stickier and heavier...more trouble for trees. When it's cold, it's less of a problem. It stays fluffier. That day was getting a bit warmer, and you can see a few times that my carabiner gate iced up and I had a tough time opening it. Sometimes you have to gently tap it against a hip D to shake the slush loose.

The Mini Bone will certainly develop further, with more ideas as others get on it, but it really does work well as it is. It's build # 2 from Gordon. The first was crazy bulky for the size, so this one was built out of Stainless Steel with the same geometry but far more appropriate overall sizing.

surveyor

The links on Eric's mini BDB are nickel plated and the Spine is aluminum. The "nubs" are steel on Eric's, but could be made from rubber bumpers like Mike's modded compact Bone. Thanks for reviewing it Eric.

JontreeHI

Very smooth nice climbing eric! I've got to spend more time deciding exactly how much rope I need for each climb rather than dragging my 200 ft tail around the tree, looks like you have that dialed

oceans

Very smooth nice climbing eric! I've got to spend more time deciding exactly how much rope I need for each climb rather than dragging my 200 ft tail around the tree, looks like you have that dialed
Thanks! Also, that's super observant about the rope, Jon. Following a decent throwline shot, I usually pull my rope in until I get it back down to me, and then think about how much higher I may want to go, and how many lateral redirects I want. I so often end up finishing my climbs with like 5' to 10' of rope left. That adds up in time with less management.

Levi.CO

Great video Eric! Nice climbing and cutting and some really great SRT techniques shown as well. Good music for the setting. I love the mini bone, I gotta get one a those! Great work!!!! Thanks for posting.

oceans

Great video Eric! Nice climbing and cutting and some really great SRT techniques shown as well. Good music for the setting. I love the mini bone, I gotta get one a those! Great work!!!! Thanks for posting.
Thanks so much, Levi! The time will come to roll cam in Colorado. Mark my words man!