Smaller top handle recommendation needed

Benjo75

Hey all. I'm looking for some advice on a smaller top handle. I'm currently using the 200T mainly. I also use the 201 tcm quite a bit. I'm looking for a lighter top handle that will be easier on my wrists. 25 years of running these every day is making me look for something lighter for the smaller trees and the light pruning jobs. I'm already catching myself using the Silky where I used to would have never used it.

The 150 looks to be the smallest. I've never ran it or the 193. I don't expect it to even begin to keep up with the 200. Just looking for and advice from someone who has ran all 3. Thanks, Ben.

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@Benjo75; @JeffGu; You probably both know about this already, but Echo now has a top handle chainsaw that is even lighter than the Stihl 150T. It is the lightest chainsaw available in America, I think.

August Hunicke made a video of his use of the Echo on an actual job; a fun video to watch. If I can find it again I'll post a link to the video later.

Tim

Jackjcc

It’s a CS 2511T, it’s a half pound lighter and larger displacement. Not sure how they did that. This is his Saw,
it is ported so you won’t get the same experience off the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evo

In the truck I have a 200 and a 150. Then a 261. The 200 has seen one climb in the past two years.. The one climb it saw was when I wanted to blow a bigger top. I then realized how adapted I became to the 150, the 200 felt like a brick, and I cut too fast through the hinge. Top went sideways and I bought a fence and a hose bib...

flyingsquirrel25

The 150 is right around $500. But worth every penny. I purchased it for fine printing because of its weight and carving bar. Now I use it for the top part of technical removals too. Just call for the bigger saw earlier. With some minor tuning, and maybe a little mod to the muffler it’s pretty good. The only thing I don’t like is sharpening the tiny chain. Hard to see, the file is very flexible and that chain is hard! My bigger top handle hasn’t seen a climb since I got the 150.

Benjo75

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the 150 is the way to go. What's in the 150 that makes it more expensive than the 193? Is it stronger?

chiselbit

The echo 2511 is a great little saw. I had 3 stihl 150’s and they were alright but these echos are more powerful and lighter. It feels like a toy but cuts surprisingly good. A muffler mod makes it even better. I highly recommend the 2511, especially if you have wrist problems.

ontheropes

Haven’t tried the echo but I beat the snot out of the ms150 and it starts every time for more. I agree with it being a pain to sharpen the chain but I absolutely Love having this saw in my arsenal. I use it every chance I get. I have carpal tunnel in both hands one fairly bad and it doesn’t bother me nearly as much.

monkeylove

The 150 is right around $500. But worth every penny. I purchased it for fine printing because of its weight and carving bar. Now I use it for the top part of technical removals too. Just call for the bigger saw earlier. With some minor tuning, and maybe a little mod to the muffler it’s pretty good. The only thing I don’t like is sharpening the tiny chain. Hard to see, the file is very flexible and that chain is hard! My bigger top handle hasn’t seen a climb since I got the 150.
I agree, those little teeth are hard to see at our age.

monkeylove

The 150's are nice,never tried the little Echo. I have a 330T and 360T maybe 355, but they are no lighter than my 201.

Benjo75

I have an 020, a 200, a 201, 355 Echo and T540 Husky. Looking for a lighter weight saw for the small to medium limbs. I don't expect it to cut like the 200 just need something easier on my wrists for the long days and smaller limbs. I've read about the muffler mod. Any advise on what to do there? And timing is something I haven't messed with.